The Student Room Group

Anyone scared for how much Student finance they can get?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AdorableDrip
I'm getting about 6K and living in London.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great if ur rich and have a job but here I am poor and without time for a goddamn job :smile:
Original post by RonnieRJ
That's great if ur rich and have a job but here I am poor and without time for a goddamn job :smile:

You aren't planning to get a job at uni? Wow, you are going to have a tough time.
Original post by TheOpinion
You aren't planning to get a job at uni? Wow, you are going to have a tough time.

1) my course is lecture heavy and 2) I'd rather get a 1st than have money to spend on crap lol
1) my course is lecture heavy and 2) I'd rather get a 1st than have money to spend on crap lol

That really isn't relevant. You will struggle when you leave uni if you have no job experience
That really isn't relevant. You will struggle when you leave uni if you have no job experience

I'm going into scientific research Hun I doubt I can get a job/experience anywhere else but in the uni labs lol

Plus don't see how a job at primark or something would help lol. I've already had a job in retail for a year and it's done nothing for my future
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm going into scientific research Hun I doubt I can get a job/experience anywhere else but in the uni labs lol

Plus don't see how a job at primark or something would help lol. I've already had a job in retail for a year and it's done nothing for my future

You won't leave uni straight into professional work, it's not common
You won't leave uni straight into professional work, it's not common

image.png

... Lol "not common"

But of course not, I'll be doing a PhD first :wink:

I'm not rich? And I don't have a job. I also don't have time and I'm extremely poor

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not rich? And I don't have a job. I also don't have time and I'm extremely poor

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I don't know where you're getting your money from but for me to live at UCL I need just over £13k (which i initially worked out before hand, but recently confirmed it with UCL and their average cost of living per year is close to what I had in mind). £10k from loan, £2k from UCL and £1k from my mom as that's all she can afford and I'm just about getting there.

Accomodation alone costs £6k so you're either lying, living somewhere for free or you have some other income you didn't mention (or you're homeless idk)
Well I don't know where you're getting your money from but for me to live at UCL I need just over £13k (which i initially worked out before hand, but recently confirmed it with UCL and their average cost of living per year is close to what I had in mind). £10k from loan, £2k from UCL and £1k from my mom as that's all she can afford and I'm just about getting there.

Accomodation alone costs £6k so you're either lying, living somewhere for free or you have some other income you didn't mention (or you're homeless idk)

My accommodation is £5k

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm about £2000 short. Can't get enough loans. Can't go to university.
My accommodation is £5k

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you're saying you're living on just about £1k yeah? That's £25 a week lol :wink:
Original post by Edminzodo
I'm more stressed about how long it's going to take to pay off . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile

In reality, most people aren't going to pay it off if they just pay the minimum amount monthly back due to not the large debt but also interest etc. :gasp:
Original post by similarBlank
I'm about £2000 short. Can't get enough loans. Can't go to university.

You could pretty easily earn that much over summer if you get a job.

Not saying jobs will fall into your lap easily, but there is no sense not trying (if you're not) and saying you can't go to university.
So you're saying you're living on just about £1k yeah? That's £25 a week lol :wink:

Yes, my shopping comes to £20 a week. Why is that hard to believe? Is it because you're unable to compromise and believe you can do things on minimum money? You'll have a hard time at uni with that attitude trust me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, my shopping comes to £20 a week. Why is that hard to believe? Is it because you're unable to compromise and believe you can do things on minimum money? You'll have a hard time at uni with that attitude trust me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lmao no my point is 1) how do you pay for transport 2) phone bills 3) all of your shopping 4) supplies 5) books and resources 6) guessing you have 0 social life

Calm down Hun I'll have a good time at uni because I'll have everything I need with the right budget
Lmao no my point is 1) how do you pay for transport 2) phone bills 3) all of your shopping 4) supplies 5) books and resources 6) guessing you have 0 social life

Calm down Hun I'll have a good time at uni because I'll have everything I need with the right budget

I put £20 a month on my Oyster card and I'm fine. It's £1 pretty much anywhere off peak with my student card.
My phone bill is £15 a month because I've had the same contract for ages, it's not that much and I've got unlimited everything. I just told you my shopping, it's not hard or expensive. Supplies? Like what? My books are paid for by the uni and the ones that aren't I just use the library. My social life is pretty good actually, I usually go out 3 times a week. If you know the right places it's fine.

It's hard not to get everything you 'need' with 11K.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I put £20 a month on my Oyster card and I'm fine. It's £1 pretty much anywhere off peak with my student card.
My phone bill is £15 a month because I've had the same contract for ages, it's not that much and I've got unlimited everything. I just told you my shopping, it's not hard or expensive. Supplies? Like what? My books are paid for by the uni and the ones that aren't I just use the library. My social life is pretty good actually, I usually go out 3 times a week. If you know the right places it's fine.

It's hard not to get everything you 'need' with 11K.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hun you said you have £6k a year, £5k accomodation. Leaves £1k. That's £100 a month. You said your shopping is £80. So that leaves £20. You said that goes in your Oyster card.
So where's the money for your £15 phone bill? And your apparently good social life? You have to pay for entry to most clubs. Obviously you have more money than you previously said.

Now you're saying you have £11k?? Lol that's £5k more than you said beforehand? Quite lying to try and prove a point lmao bye Hun
Hun you said you have £6k a year, £5k accomodation. Leaves £1k. That's £100 a month. You said your shopping is £80. So that leaves £20. You said that goes in your Oyster card.
So where's the money for your £15 phone bill? And your apparently good social life? You have to pay for entry to most clubs. Obviously you have more money than you previously said.

Now you're saying you have £11k?? Lol that's £5k more than you said beforehand? Quite lying to try and prove a point lmao bye Hun

No, I'm saying YOU bragging about getting 11K trying to say you can survive with anything less

Posted from TSR Mobile

What does their £13k a year include? You won't be at uni every single week. You won't need textbooks for every single subject and can pick some up second hand.

I studied in London. I walked most places; so rarely had to top up my oyster card. I think I bought something like 2 textbooks in my year at uni. Food cost me no more than £25 a week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending