The Student Room Group

Uni of Nottingham LLB reputation

Hello everyone,

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I received an unconditional offer from Nottingham. But I don't know whether to accept or not? I am a 'mature' applicant working in London. I got a distinction in the Cert of Legal Methods earlier this year.

I was rejected by Oxford post-interview on the basis of interview. I am 75% inclined to reapply. My LNAT was 30 and was told higher than average applicants @ Oxford . I was considering practising and improving my interview skills - with reference to case law analysis etc ... but I'm wondering if I was merely seduced by the ineluctable allure of Oxford? I admit the atmosphere had a gravitic affect on me.

It's only a couple more months of reapplying, but at least I would have had another shot.

Equally, I have never really heard of Nottingham. I have conducted some research and it appears to be in good standing with a solid reputation? Does everyone agree? What about careers? I would appreciate some 'real' advise beyond the orbit of the 'sanitized' chatter & clichés. For example, although Birkbeck is a fairly good university with purported good standing; my experience is that it's fairly average. My question is: to what extent is the Uni of Nottingham that good?

Would appreciate some help and advise.

Thank you for your time.
If you look at some of the league tables including the law ones created by the chambers Nottingham comes out fourth (after Cambridge, Oxford and Durham) so reputation wise islets brilliant! What I would say though is when it comes to jobs a law degree at any one the top ten law unis is amazing and it comes down to how good you are at law as a person rather than your degree. If Oxford is where you really want to go I would say reapply however you should remember that the people that apply there are almost all amazing so a lot of it comes down to luck and many people are picked on a lottery system because they can't differentiate candidates. Nottingham is an amazing uni (I'm firming☺️) so I would say to visit an offer holder day to be sure if you actually want to go there.
It also depends on what you want to do after your degree. If you want to work abroad it may be worth reapplying however Nottinghams international presence is also very large.
So ultimately it's up to you but Nottingham is amazing for law with amazing graduate prospects and if you get a 2:1 or a first, as long as you are good at what you do it is a solid uni that will help you get to where you want to be in life
Reply 2
Original post by Pythian
Hello everyone,

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I received an unconditional offer from Nottingham. But I don't know whether to accept or not? I am a 'mature' applicant working in London. I got a distinction in the Cert of Legal Methods earlier this year.

I was rejected by Oxford post-interview on the basis of interview. I am 75% inclined to reapply. My LNAT was 30 and was told higher than average applicants @ Oxford . I was considering practising and improving my interview skills - with reference to case law analysis etc ... but I'm wondering if I was merely seduced by the ineluctable allure of Oxford? I admit the atmosphere had a gravitic affect on me.

It's only a couple more months of reapplying, but at least I would have had another shot.

Equally, I have never really heard of Nottingham. I have conducted some research and it appears to be in good standing with a solid reputation? Does everyone agree? What about careers? I would appreciate some 'real' advise beyond the orbit of the 'sanitized' chatter & clichés. For example, although Birkbeck is a fairly good university with purported good standing; my experience is that it's fairly average. My question is: to what extent is the Uni of Nottingham that good?

Would appreciate some help and advise.

Thank you for your time.

I can completely relate to this; I reapplied this year after butchering my oxford interview last year. I just want to warn you that the LNAT has to be retaken each year, and as it is still a new test, it changes from year to year quite a bit. last year I got a 32, which is very high, but this year I only got a 27, which (supposedly) caused oxford to reject me before interview. luckily I did some amazing things this year, so it wasn't a waste of my time to reapply. it is by no means guaranteed that you'll interview at oxford next year, so be prepared for that. but overall, I'd say if that's what you really want, go for it.

notts does have a strong employment rate for their grads and a longstanding reputation as an excellent law school, but I went to their offer holders day and felt there was just something missing. I felt intellectually challenged talking to the tutors at oxford - not so at nottingham - and that's an extremely important aspect of the degree for me. my advice to you is to determine what exactly your priorities are, and visit nottingham to see how you like it. the law students I talked to at notts were really happy there, and said the main difference they've seen compared to other law schools is that notts professors are more supportive and accessible. that might be something to consider, especially if you're coming back to school from the work force.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending