The Student Room Group

Girls proposing to men

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kprime2
That makes no sense. I mean, by that logic surely men should think twice before proposing to a woman? Women should surely be more casual about proposing to men if that is the case.

Just how men are more casual when it comes to sleeping around since they don't bear the risk of pregnancy, so they're more promiscuous. Kids are more careless with spending money since it carries minimal risk for them, it's the parents' money.

Indeed, that is precisely what has happened. A quick glance at declining marriage rates confirms that. Hence my original comment about being certain the man really wants it. Whats the point of being married to someone who doesnt really want to be married and has the attitude of "its only a piece of paper."

Hence why the man must do the proposing
Original post by kprime2
Read the whole interaction above. I was using examples to merely point out the logical flaws in AngryRedhead's points. As I said above, I do not agree that women are obliged to cook or clean for men, or raise up the children. I do in fact believe in equality for both sexes, and part of that is that both men and women should be able to propose to each other without worrying about social stigmas.

I read it all.

My qualm was that your inability to see that Ms Redhead is not wanting to propose based on her aforementioned facts about divorce on altruistic motivations is quintessentially post-modern.
No I'd like to keep some tradition in this world. HOWEVER, if dude was taking forever to propose if bring it up and ask, but I'd never go on my knees and all that and he would still have to buy the ring if he agrees.
Yes I accept that. However, I don't see the logic in how that would tempt the man to be the one who proposes. It carries a greater risk for men. Surely it should then be women who propose, and men who then decide whether they want to take up on the offer or not?
Any girl that would do this aint all there in the noggin.
Cringe to the max
Original post by TorpidPhil
I read it all.

My qualm was that your inability to see that Ms Redhead is not wanting to propose based on her aforementioned facts about divorce on altruistic motivations is quintessentially post-modern.

Altruistic? How? If I'm a woman and I can see that I benefit more from a divorce, then my motivation to get a divorce will be for selfish reasons.

I don't disagree with the facts. I just genuinely don't understand the logic behind how that justifies men proposing to women.

If women do get more out of a divorce, then we should look to change that and make it more fair. We shouldn't just accept that and use it to justify something else.
You'd get down on two knees like you had been for many nights previous to that event :colonhash:

Oh Jesus...O Lord O jesus.
Original post by amen1991
Oh Jesus...O Lord O jesus.

I swear that's a song...
Original post by kprime2
Altruistic? How? If I'm a woman and I can see that I benefit more from a divorce, then my motivation to get a divorce will be for selfish reasons.

I don't disagree with the facts. I just genuinely don't understand the logic behind how that justifies men proposing to women.

If women do get more out of a divorce, then we should look to change that and make it more fair. We shouldn't just accept that and use it to justify something else.

Yeah and she's not talking about divorce. We're talking about her motivation to not propose to a man.

It doesn't justify men proposing to women. she never said it did. It just justifies not proposing to a man if you're a woman because you don't want to put such a burden on your man. It's better for him to propose if he wants it - that way of course you know he wants it.
I swear that's a song...

Now take a guess mate
That doesn't make any sense? What if he felt the same way? Then nobody would propose.
Now take a guess mate

Lady Leshurr - Queen's Speech Ep.4
Original post by MountKimbie
That doesn't make any sense? What if he felt the same way? Then nobody would propose.

Maybe they shoudn't!
Lady Leshurr - Queen's Speech Ep.4

ye
Original post by muslimstanisyed
Any girl that would do this aint all there in the noggin.
Cringe to the max

It is cringey...
ye

Shame I don't get another rep for that.
An interesting thing needs noting that marriages where the woman proposes are statistically more likely to fail.
Shame I don't get another rep for that.

I tried, it can't, not my fault
Yeah and she's not talking about divorce. We're talking about her motivation to not propose to a man.

It doesn't justify men proposing to women. she never said it did. It just justifies not proposing to a man if you're a woman because you don't want to put such a burden on your man. It's better for him to propose if he wants it - that way of course you know he wants it.

It certainly does not justify not proposing to a man.

Oh come off it. What a rubbish excuse, that's no where near a strong enough reason. Why can't we accept that women generally just enjoy being proposed to as part of tradition? That's fair enough and I can accept that, I'm just saying we ought to accept that men propose to woman only as a tradition, nothing more. There's no objective reason as to why it SHOULD always be men who propose. I personally don't care that men propose, it doesn't bother me and I understand that it's just one of those traditions of society and that's fine. But to say that there's a justified reason behind it is just unfair.

My only problem is the one sidedness of feminism. Feminists go out of their way to protest against the wage gap, sexual objectification and other forms of sexism, but no one bats an eye on things like men always paying on a date, or men having to propose. I mean if a woman offered to pay for me on a date I would find that awfully condescending. I can afford to pay for my bit of the meal myself thank you.
(edited 8 years ago)
You'd get down on two knees like you had been for many nights previous to that event :colonhash:

:colonhash::colonhash::colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending