The Student Room Group

Will 16 year olds vote in the EU referendum?

I'm 16 and want to vote to stay in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Same, sadly no.
Nope and let's hope it stays that way.
No.
No :biggrin:
I wouldn't trust a 16 year old to make a gin and tonic, let alone vote on the future of this country.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Yet Scottish 16 year olds were able to vote in the Scottish independence referendum. Why should there be a double standard, there is no difference between a 16yr old in Scotland and one in the rest of the country
Reply 7
No they cannot. There needs to be an age cut off and 18 seems the most appropriate.
Reply 8
Original post by DiddyDec
I wouldn't trust a 16 year old to make a gin and tonic, let alone vote on the future of this country.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gordon's/Beefeater Gin 1/2
Schweppes tonic water 1/2
2 ice cubes
+ Slice of lime

That's how I would make it anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nurne
I'm 16
and want to vote to stay in.

oh really? wow, I'm so shocked(!) never saw it coming
Original post by JD742
Yet Scottish 16 year olds were able to vote in the Scottish independence referendum. Why should there be a double standard, there is no difference between a 16yr old in Scotland and one in the rest of the country

you're just adding fuel to the fire of how that was such a bad idea in the first place - because even though they said "it'll only be for this referendum" you're evidence of how they were just lying
Original post by Nurne
2 ice cubes
+ Slice of lime

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for proving my point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nurne
2 ice cubes
+ Slice of lime

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please make a swift exit, good Sir. I appreciate the initiative but to even consider Gordon's is an outrage.
Original post by Aceadria
Please make a swift exit, good Sir. I appreciate the initiative but to even consider Gordon's is an outrage.

Or even Beefeater. That G&T is an utter travesty not to mention the half and half. In fact while I am so outraged, Schweppes. **** that. This is why we don't let 16 year olds vote.
16 year old should get a vote after all they are probably more up to date on current affairs then most the adults that get a vote.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Failingstudent98
16 year old should get a vote after all they are probably more up to date on current affairs then most the adults that get a vote.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What a silly thing to assume.
No, thankfully.
Original post by Nurne
I'm 16 and want to vote to stay in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No 16 year olds can't vote in the referendum and apparently you are so uneducated in politics it is a good job you can't vote if you don't even know you can't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aceadria
What a silly thing to assume.

Silly thing to assume? 16 year old are still in school and a forced to look at detail into politics and the news. Not only do some 16 year olds literally study politics as a subject but the national curriculum includes issues such as immigration which gets taught using up to date statistics and information,and students are encouraged to look further into their views on the topic. Political debates and exercises are also common in schools which leads students to invest time and fully weigh up the facts (not just what a bias party want to put into large print in the news). The truth is 16 year olds would probably use a lot more cold hard facts then many of the adult voters who are stuck 3 decades in the past, we are more open minded to change and aren't holding on to Britain's golden years like many of the older generations are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Failingstudent98
Silly thing to assume? 16 year old are still in school and a forced to look at detail into politics and the news. Not only do some 16 year olds literally study politics as a subject but the national curriculum includes issues such as immigration which gets taught using up to date statistics and information,and students are encouraged to look further into their views on the topic. Political debates and exercises are also common in schools which leads students to invest time and fully weigh up the facts (not just what a bias party want to put into large print in the news). The truth is 16 year olds would probably use a lot more cold hard facts then many of the adult voters who are stuck 3 decades in the past, we are more open minded to change and aren't holding on to Britain's golden years like many of the older generations are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So should a 15 year old have a vote? How about a 10 year old, better yet, how about a fetus? 16 is too young and at that age most have little understanding of the "real world".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending