The Student Room Group

Undergraduation in USA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
As I've been saying all along, its not a means to get it. You need to take into consideration the other requirements but no, none of you told the OP that, instead you give vague unhelpful answers like "yes" and argue with me when I say otherwise.

"Yes" is vague to a yes or no question? Okay then :lol:
Original post by magr27
Thanks. Do they have any requirements for the number of subjects? Like what are minimum number of A levels one should take? Because currently I have four but I plan to take one of the subjects only as AS levels. Leaving me with 3 A levels and 1 As level.

Probably good to evaluate that on a case by case basis depending on your university.

But generally no there is no minimum. However I will assume you're international and I will say that if you plan to apply to top tier universities, you should really have 4 to put you in a good position.
Reply 22
Original post by Student403
Probably good to evaluate that on a case by case basis depending on your university.

But generally no there is no minimum. However I will assume you're international and I will say that if you plan to apply to top tier universities, you should really have 4 to put you in a good position.

You are right, am an International. I am not considering top tier Unis as my application is not so strong. I will be applying to tier 2 like Rutgers Business School and Unis around NJ.

Plus I will be retaking my A levels in Nov 2016. Will that have any negative impact on my application? :frown:
Original post by magr27
You are right, am an International. I am not considering top tier Unis as my application is not so strong. I will be applying to tier 2 like Rutgers Business School and Unis around NJ.

Plus I will be retaking my A levels in Nov 2016. Will that have any negative impact on my application? :frown:

I'm not too sure about that. I imagine better grades would be preferred to not resitting significantly worse grades, though
Reply 24
I'm not too sure about that. I imagine better grades would be preferred to not resitting significantly worse grades, though

Yeah I think that too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Helloworld_95
Ok guys let's stop arguing over a misunderstanding of what someone was saying.

Yes you can get in with A levels, no you cannot get in by applying with just A levels, you need to take the SATs as well (or the ACT). A levels are more seen as equivalent to APs plus a high school diploma, they help your application and it'll give you extra credit but they're not the essential admissions criteria.

Yeah I know. I will start preparing for SAT and TOEFL from April. Thanks btw.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by fishyfishy1999
I'm doing the reverse but A levels are recognised in the States. In fact in many situations they will get you credits at the university and thus you can skip certain classes.

What do you mean you're doing the reverse?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are the requirements to study microbiology at the unis in America?

Also, why don't l see anything about GCSEs...just A-levels?
Original post by the.chantele

If you're a typical UK student, you submit your GCSEs too. They just don't give you credits for your GCSEs because these are below the level of knowledge of a college course in the US

And the requirements will differ by university. Check individually
Reply 29

GCSEs are just includes in transcripts as far as I know. Not really sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're a typical UK student, you submit your GCSEs too. They just don't give you credits for your GCSEs because these are below the level of knowledge of a college course in the US

And the requirements will differ by university. Check individually

I did but it's not specific.
I did but it's not specific.

If it doesn't say you need, it, you technically don't. But almost always we sit A levels with GCSEs so I guess they assume the normal UK student will have them
If it doesn't say you need, it, you technically don't. But almost always we sit A levels with GCSEs so I guess they assume the normal UK student will have them

l always thought you're system is easy compared to us, is it?
l always thought you're system is easy compared to us, is it?

Wait which system are you?
Wait which system are you?

British.
British.

I'm in the British system too :P
Reply 36
I'm in the British system too :P

Can you tell me that like if a student is predicted ABB but he gets BBB or ABC or any fall in Grade Will they cancel the admission or give conditional exam or will simply accept it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by magr27
Can you tell me that like if a student is predicted ABB but he gets BBB or ABC or any fall in Grade Will they cancel the admission or give conditional exam or will simply accept it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on the offer conditions. Generally no specific grades are stated so it should be fine

American universities don't 'have' entry requirements like they do here. You don't see the same system of needing XXX grade at A-level to even be considered. Technically, anyone can apply and be considered in the US because the selection process is relative.

Rather, you apply to the institution as a whole (sometimes you apply to a vague department like: engineering, arts and sciences, business etc) and are expected to provide a full picture of your academic and extracurricular profile which they can then compare against other applicants. So that means, you have to sit the admissions tests (SATs/ACTs, SAT subject tests etc) as well as provide a full breakdown of GCSE grades, AS grades and achieved/predicted A2 grades.

With this information (and any admissions essays) the admissions tutors will assess your candidacy usually via scoring how 'strong' your application is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending