The Student Room Group

Thin Indian lady demonstrates precursor to MMA - Indian martial arts

Good to see indian women standing up to harrasment in the streets using age-old techniques, will be a step in right direction for society

[video]https://www.facebook.com/AkashMusik/videos/10153060478637311/[/video]
its WWE , not MMA.
I think it is a rather sad state of affairs when women must learn self-deference in order to protect themselves from harassment in the streets. But I guess until the issue of street harassment gets sorted out, there aren't many other options.
The pre cursor to MMA is bruce lee . But nevermind, not like it matters to the content.
Reply 4
Original post by HucktheForde
its WWE , not MMA.

ignore the video tagline. indian wrestling predates wwe by about 4000 years
Original post by Chakede
ignore the video tagline. indian wrestling predates wwe by about 4000 years

Oh ok. So its wwe then. Not mma.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by The Epicurean
I think it is a rather sad state of affairs when women must learn self-deference in order to protect themselves from harassment in the streets. But I guess until the issue of street harassment gets sorted out, there aren't many other options.
the police cant be everywhere. in india there is a problem too with attitude of particulalry uneducated men toward women walking around on their own. im all for this sistas brushing up on wrestling, yuddha, jujitsu etc so these type of guys learn, which is part of their heritage anyway
Wow... Such leet skills... Would definitely be effective against a man that wasn't ridiculous thin.
Reply 8
Original post by HucktheForde
Oh ok. So its wwe then. Not mma.

Posted from TSR Mobile
wwe is a tv show. mma is full of wrestling and submission grappling, both of which were practice in indian again about 4000 years pre bruce lee, along with indian style of kick boxing musti-yuddha etc . so the idea of mma has been around much longer than movies and ufc lol
Reply 9
Original post by TorpidPhil
Wow... Such leet skills... Would definitely be effective against a man that wasn't ridiculous thin.
i could take to the pavement any massively fat dude that was untrained in seconds. and im no schwarzenegger. it is about technique and balance
Original post by Chakede
wwe is a tv show. mma is full of wrestling and submission grappling, both of which were practice in indian again about 4000 years pre bruce lee, along with indian style of kick boxing musti-yuddha etc . so the idea of mma has been around much longer than movies and ufc lol

Yea that's the reason why you specifically mentioned indian wrestling predates wwe. Which is correct and relevant in your previous post. Thanks for clearing it up

Hold a second. .. india has 4000 years of history ? :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Chakede
i could take to the pavement any massively fat dude that was untrained in seconds. and im no schwarzenegger. it is about technique and balance

I'm trained in technique, and strength and I couldn't do that.
yesss

OMG :rofl:

#thuglyfe
Reply 13

I'm trained in technique, and strength and I couldn't do that.

you would change angle of takedown based on . you cant be trained very well. when i trained i almost always grappled with someone 8-15 kgs heavier than myself, i didnt find them any more difficult. the most difficult people to takedown are those quickest on their feet.
Original post by Chakede
you would change angle of takedown based on . you cant be trained very well. when i trained i almost always grappled with someone 8-15 kgs heavier than myself, i didnt find them any more difficult. the most difficult people to takedown are those quickest on their feet.

Most people find it pretty natural to sprawl. You need to be extremely fast and strong to do it vs someone much bigger than you just like that. Setting it up with strikes is different though...

Oh and I'm talking like 30kg heavier. Like most men would be compared to that woman. Not to mention woman are weaker than men. Are you a woman?
Reply 15
Most people find it pretty natural to sprawl. You need to be extremely fast and strong to do it vs someone much bigger than you just like that. Setting it up with strikes is different though...

Oh and I'm talking like 30kg heavier. Like most men would be compared to that woman. Not to mention woman are weaker than men. Are you a woman?

not everyone instinctively sprawls . some ppl instinctively try and cover their balls as an instinct when you drop, as this guy in the video did. and o sprawl fast and then retain footing and balance and not end up flat on your belly requires a level of training- no average fatman on the street can do this you are making **** up.

i am extremly fast and strong , but im saying that is not what will get me a takedown . with wrestling experience you know from which angle to approach , to move forward or twist to side, to take single leg and knee twist, or hook both legs, or to leg sweep etc. actually if i stay low and take a leg and the other guy is very tall, then i have the advantage, i cant explain this to a lay person on the internet without you experience firsthand how wrestling works so i dont know what you hope to acheive here.

the woman in the video could not be more than 40 kg , so easily 30 kg difference, and took down quite easily. she even landed an elbow before hand so she knows what shes doing. im sure she knows enough would mess you up too
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Chakede
not everyone instinctively sprawls . some ppl instinctively try and cover their balls as an instinct when you drop, as this guy in the video did. and o sprawl fast and then retain footing and balance and not end up flat on your belly requires a level of training- no average fatman on the street can do this you are making **** up.

i am extremly fast and strong , but im saying that is not what will get me a takedown . with wrestling experience you know from which angle to approach , to move forward or twist to side, to take single leg and knee twist, or hook both legs, or to leg sweep etc. actually if i stay low and take a leg and the other guy is very tall, then i have the advantage, i cant explain this to a lay person on the internet without you experience firsthand how wrestling works so i dont know what you hope to acheive here.

the woman in the video could not be more than 40 kg , so easily 30 kg difference, and took down quite easily. she even landed an elbow before hand so she knows what shes doing. im sure she knows enough would mess you up too

You live in a fantasy world.

I don't know what training you've done but clearly you haven't done it near full effort.

We get a lot of new guys at my MMA gym and some of them are ****ing gigantic. I'm talking 6'4 18stone+ guys. And despite having been doing wrestling specifically for over a year now and weightlifting and being very strong for my size (12.5stone) I find it rather difficult to take down the newbies if I just burst in initially for leg takedowns (as we sometimes do in drills after a punch but ofc the opponent in these drills knows it is coming). Even if the coach doesn't introduce sprawling instinctly most people who come here seem to know to do it.

That said. Wrestling is probably the most important martial art for women to learn for self defense.
Reply 17
You live in a fantasy world.

I don't know what training you've done but clearly you haven't done it near full effort.

We get a lot of new guys at my MMA gym and some of them are ****ing gigantic. I'm talking 6'4 18stone+ guys. And despite having been doing wrestling specifically for over a year now and weightlifting and being very strong for my size (12.5stone) I find it rather difficult to take down the newbies if I just burst in initially for leg takedowns (as we sometimes do in drills after a punch but ofc the opponent in these drills knows it is coming). Even if the coach doesn't introduce sprawling instinctly most people who come here seem to know to do it.

That said. Wrestling is probably the most important martial art for women to learn for self defense.

hahaha 'training wrestling for a year' i thought there was something fishy with your posts, they make no sense. go away , i cant talk seriously to you about grappling if you are basically a beginner who thinks hes been taught everything. i have trained in india for nearly 6 years ( since i was 12) and also in france for 10 months ( non submission style, just normal greco), and yet i would say im still learning technique and training. you wont have a clue how to do anything properly anyway. if you dont train full effort then you will spend most of the time without air on your back and learn very little
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Chakede
hahaha 'training wrestling for a year' i thought there was something fishy with your posts, they make no sense. go away , i cant talk seriously to you about grappling if you are basically a beginner who thinks hes been taught everything. i have trained in india for nearly 6 years ( since i was 12) and also in france for 10 months ( non submission style, just normal greco), and yet i would say im still learning technique and training. you wont have a clue how to do anything properly anyway

Dude, I train with pro-mma fighters. They can't just do double-leg takedowns on me at whim even when they're a few stone heavier. I don't know what world you live in where you think skinny little women can pull off double leg takedowns on men several stone heavier than them. Tecnique helps but it just isn't going to work vs a man 50% heavier than a woman.

A year of working on catch wrestling specifically under a wrestling coach many hours a week gives you time to learn quite a lot. Obviously not saying I'm very good yet, but good enough to realise the above is nonsense.
Reply 19
Dude, I train with pro-mma fighters. They can't just do double-leg takedowns on me at whim even when they're a few stone heavier. I don't know what world you live in where you think skinny little women can pull off double leg takedowns on men several stone heavier than them. Tecnique helps but it just isn't going to work vs a man 50% heavier than a woman.

A year of working on catch wrestling specifically under a wrestling coach many hours a week gives you time to learn quite a lot. Obviously not saying I'm very good yet, but good enough to realise the above is nonsense.

if they are pros and have background in wrestling - then they are clearly going easy on you , or im calling bs again. they should be able to ram you into the nearest wall at speed, even if somehow you are able to prevent going down . a genuine wrestler has strength that you couldnt imagine even if they dont look it. we trained from 12- 18 years old in one classes, i have seen a good 15 year old put an inexperience 18 year old on his back and seeing stars. noone went easy in those classes, injuries were common.

a skinny women that has some standard of training is going to be far stronger than she looks in that video - you have a simplistic idea of how this works iif you basing just on size. im saying that i could put you on your head and pop your humerus out the socket if you came at me , probaly much easier than i could someone 15 kg less than me and with a good 8-10 years grappling experience. if he is an experience submission wrestler i would even avoid wrestling him altogether
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending