The Student Room Group

Atheist Q and A

This is for those of faith who want to ask atheists on TSR anything about Atheism, why they don't believe etc. You can ask anything you want, just be polite :smile:
POLITE debate is encouraged.

Scroll to see replies

I find people who bang on about atheism, past the age of 16, quite perplexing. What do you say to this?
Reply 2
Original post by like_marmite
I find people who bang on about atheism, past the age of 16, quite perplexing. What do you say to this?

If your argument here is to imply that those who debate or discuss Atheism are immature, then Richard Dawkins and the like must be rather nonsensical in their views. :facepalm:
I'm an atheist

Will we one day live in a secular world do you think?
Reply 4
Original post by leavingthecity
I'm an atheist

Will we one day live in a secular world do you think?

I hope so. However, as long as we have religious texts we will have disillusionment.
Original post by TheOpinion
I hope so. However, as long as we have religious texts we will have disillusionment.

And I think we will always manufacture religious texts.

Hmmmm, I was hoping that this thread would attract more questions....
Reply 6
And I think we will always manufacture religious texts.

Hmmmm, I was hoping that this thread would attract more questions....

So did I, I think it hasn't had enough bumps to get attention yet
If your argument here is to imply that those who debate or discuss Atheism are immature, then Richard Dawkins and the like must be rather nonsensical in their views. :facepalm:

Are you a fan of Richard Dawkins?
Reply 8
Original post by Tank Girl
Are you a fan of Richard Dawkins?

Not a fan per se, I think his ideas and argument points are very good, however I disagree with a few of his views.
Not a fan per se, I think his ideas and argument points are very good, however I disagree with a few of his views.

I agree with you! I like Dawkins in principle but he can be too belligerent in his argument against religion, would you agree?
If your argument here is to imply that those who debate or discuss Atheism are immature, then Richard Dawkins and the like must be rather nonsensical in their views.

I am not saying Dawkins has nonsensical views. His banging on about them might be nonsensical, however.

The difference between you and Dawkins is that he responds to well-drafted arguments from the likes of William Lane Craig and John Lennox. You firstly are starting the conversation (not merely responding), and secondly when you do respond you do so to asinine arguments posted by 15-year-olds who have not read a book. Academic argument is somewhat different to posting half-assed stuff on student sites.
Reply 11
Original post by Tank Girl
I agree with you! I like Dawkins in principle but he can be too belligerent in his argument against religion, would you agree?

I would agree! He seems to be somewhat narrow minded, but I similarly think that he engages in those with the same sort of hostility. It can be rather hard not to retaliate on his part.
Reply 12
I am not saying Dawkins has nonsensical views. His banging on about them might be nonsensical, however.

The difference between you and Dawkins is that he responds to well-drafted arguments from the likes of William Lane Craig and John Lennox. You firstly are starting the conversation (not merely responding), and secondly when you do respond you do so to asinine arguments posted by 15-year-olds who have not read a book. Academic argument is somewhat different to posting half-assed stuff on student sites.

Firstly, lets discuss the usage of the word YOU. 'You' would imply me personally, I generally ignore poorly constructed arguments or questions that do not lead to a further discussion on such matter.

And I like the way you try to appear intelligent but failed to realise that you made a fundamental error when you put 'is somewhat' rather than 'are somewhat'.

If you have nothing else to contribute then this conversation is over.

There's nothing wrong with banging on about something if you have an aim in mind, for example, I talk about it often because I believe that religion offers women a very bad deal. In fact, discussing this with young people, people in education who are still forming their opinions, is critical. To prompt a young girl to question why when she gets married her husband has to be the head of her household, is a worthwhile thing.
There's nothing wrong with banging on about something if you have an aim in mind, for example, I talk about it often because I believe that religion offers women a very bad deal. In fact, discussing this with young people, people in education who are still forming their opinions, is critical. To prompt a young girl to question why when she gets married her husband has to be the head of her household, is a worthwhile thing.

Don't you think people can make these decisions for themselves?
Reply 15
Original post by morgan8002
Don't you think people can make these decisions for themselves?

This is completely irrelevant, please contribute to the THREAD or leave
This is completely irrelevant, please contribute to the THREAD or leave

I thought we could ask anything, sorry.
Reply 17

The general implication was to ask about Atheism...:wink:

You could rephrase maybe. Asking why some atheists are so 'belligerent' such as Dawkins, and why they think it's necessary...
Firstly, lets discuss the usage of the word YOU. 'You' would imply me personally, I generally ignore poorly constructed arguments or questions that do not lead to a further discussion on such matter.

And I like the way you try to appear intelligent but failed to realise that you made a fundamental error when you put 'is somewhat' rather than 'are somewhat'.

If you have nothing else to contribute then this conversation is over.

Academic argument is plural, according to you? :lol: Let's not try to get into a who is the smartest prince of them all because you won't win. And you need to grow up a bit if you're so threatened when someone challenges that you have to try to correct grammar where their grammar is actually correct. Again this lack of sophistication in argument, by the people who want to engage the topic of religion, is why no adult should ever engage the topic of religion.

That is a reasonable approach, certainly, but only if you have access to the people you want to affect. If you're talking in mid-air, to anyone who'll listen, with unsophisticated argument whilst possessing the sole intention of giving people the impression you're some philosophy professor when you're really someone whose only interaction with philosophy is a B in GCSE RE, then I doubt informing people about their options is your sole intention.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending