The Student Room Group

implicit differentiation

Hi guys ,
quick question what would your answer be to the picture i attached you here
What exactly are you trying to do?
Urhm, what exactly is the question?
Reply 3
That expression you wrote down would simplify to 2xydydx \displaystyle 2xy \frac{dy}{dx} .
Reply 4
ddx[f(y)]=dydxddy[f(y)] \displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} [f(y)] = \frac{dy}{dx} \frac{d}{dy} [f(y)] .
It is almost as if the dy's cancel.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by B_9710
That expression you wrote down would simplify to 2xydydx \displaystyle 2xy \frac{dy}{dx} .

this is the part i don't understand . here's how i do it which gives me the wrong answer : d/dx of y^2 is equal to 2y and 2y. x would give you 2xy . i don't know where the dy/dx comes from
Reply 6
Original post by Alen.m
this is the part i don't understand . here's how i do it which gives me the wrong answer : d/dx of y^2 is equal to 2y and 2y. x would give you 2xy . i don't know where the dy/dx comes from

Actually ddxy2=2ydydx \displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} y^2 = 2y \frac{dy}{dx} .
Use the chain rule. y is defined in terms of x - it isn't just a constant. Thus you have to multiply through by dy/dx.

Original post by Alen.m
Original post by Alen.m

Have you covered the chain rule yet?
Original post by B_9710
Actually ddxy2=2ydydx \displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} y^2 = 2y \frac{dy}{dx} .

The original question was x*d/dx(y^2). Multiplying by the x gives 2xy*dy/dx, as required.
Original post by Alen.m

Because if you are being asked to differnetiate y^2 with respect to x (which is what d/dx is asking) you simply cannot do this as you cannot differentiate a function in respect to another function like that. So you have to implicity differnetiate where you use the forumla stated above.

To give you y^2' *dy/dx *x=

2xy dy/dx

If it was asking to differentiate x^2 with respect to x you can do this and is a common result of 2x, hopefully that makes sense?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by constellarknight
The original question was x*d/dx(y^2). Multiplying by the x gives 2xy*dy/dx, as required.

I know, I was replying to a question that the OP asked after the original post.
Reply 12
Original post by Calzs34
Because if you are being asked to differnetiate y^2 with respect to x (which is what d/dx is asking) you simply cannot do this as you cannot differntiate a function in respect to another function like that. So you have to implicity differntiate where you use the forumla stated above.

To give you y^2' *dy/dx *x

If it was asking to differntiate x^2 with respect to x you can do this and is a common result of 2x, hopefully that makes sense?

used the chain rule to solve it but still not getting it here's how i done it
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by constellarknight
Use the chain rule. y is defined in terms of x - it isn't just a constant. Thus you have to multiply through by dy/dx.

am i missing something here?
Reply 14
Original post by lukejoshjames
Have you covered the chain rule yet?

yes i did but i still get the answer as 2xy d/dx
Original post by Alen.m
used the chain rule to solve it but still not getting it here's how i done it

Original post by Alen.m
am i missing something here?

Try watching this video, you've made a mistake in the way you've differntiated, hopefully this clears it up:

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/differential-calculus/taking-derivatives/implicit_differentiation/v/implicit-differentiation-1

If you're still confused reply back, but it's better to work it out yourself imo :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Alen.m
yes i did but i still get the answer as 2xy d/dx

You do not actually cancel the dy's. The d/dy d/dy tells you to differentiate with respect to y and then you multiply through by dy/dx.
Reply 17
Original post by B_9710
You do not actually cancel the dy's. The d/dy d/dy tells you to differentiate with respect to y and then you multiply through by dy/dx.

thanks man i got it now
Reply 18
Original post by Calzs34
Try watching this video, you've made a mistake in the way you've differntiated, hopefully this clears it up:

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/differential-calculus/taking-derivatives/implicit_differentiation/v/implicit-differentiation-1

If you're still confused reply back, but it's better to work it out yourself imo :smile:

the video was perfectly clear thanks

Quick Reply

Latest