The Student Room Group

12-14 yro: SUGGESTIONS NEEDED! (I'll accept from older peers too)

Hello everyone!

I have been asked to write a short presentation for 12-14 year old students. I'm guessing key stage 3-4?

I am at university now, so am absolutely clueless what education topic I could talk about. The topic can be anything relating to the curriculum for the age range.

I have looked on the government website, and so far I came up with:

1. prime numbers in nature
2. present a literary review of a book (don't know which?)
3. civic education related? (I study PPE, though I'm worried of running into the difficulty of disengaging with the students)

ANY suggestions are welcome, your ideas are just as good as mine at this point, so please don't be afraid to pitch in! :smile:

Thank you in advance!
Science might be an interesting one, take articles from I f***ing love science and make them relevant to some of their content.

Maybe something to do with culture if you've done traveling
Original post by dean01234
Science might be an interesting one, take articles from I f***ing love science and make them relevant to some of their content.

Maybe something to do with culture if you've done traveling

That's a great idea, thank you!

My only problem would be knowing what their content is... would you perhaps have an answer to this?

I have traveled to Eastern Europe and Morocco... is that something I could develop on? Would I just describe the difference in culture? Which subject would this fall under in their curriculum, civic education maybe?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions, you have great ideas on this! :biggrin:
Original post by Nightingale

My only problem would be knowing what their content is... would you perhaps have an answer to this?

I have traveled to Eastern Europe and Morocco... is that something I could develop on? Would I just describe the difference in culture? Which subject would this fall under in their curriculum, civic education maybe?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions, you have great ideas on this! :biggrin:

Unfortunately I don't remember what the content is, its been quite a while since I was at school. But I imagine you'll be able to make some basic links for most stuff.

Yeah I think probably civic education, maybe geography. I think you could definitely develop on that though, tell some interesting stories and then touch on their content a bit. You'd probably be able to present this topic well too.

I'll post again if I have any more thoughts :smile:
Original post by dean01234
Unfortunately I don't remember what the content is, its been quite a while since I was at school. But I imagine you'll be able to make some basic links for most stuff.

Yeah I think probably civic education, maybe geography. I think you could definitely develop on that though, tell some interesting stories and then touch on their content a bit. You'd probably be able to present this topic well too.

I'll post again if I have any more thoughts :smile:

Thanks so much! Will try and follow those suggestions :smile:
Why don't you do something you are already interested in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
Why don't you do something you are already interested in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because it needs to be of an academic nature targeted at pupils aged 12-14:smile:
Because it needs to be of an academic nature targeted at pupils aged 12-14:smile:

Are you interested in nothing vaguely academic?

Hi I'm 14 at the moment and I think talking about your travelling whilst linking it to the current curriculum everyone would really enjoy your presentation. Science would also be good but only if you can show or prove something otherwise I would probably loose interest. Good luck!
Hello everyone!

I have been asked to write a short presentation for 12-14 year old students. I'm guessing key stage 3-4?

I am at university now, so am absolutely clueless what education topic I could talk about. The topic can be anything relating to the curriculum for the age range.

I have looked on the government website, and so far I came up with:

1. prime numbers in nature
2. present a literary review of a book (don't know which?)
3. civic education related? (I study PPE, though I'm worried of running into the difficulty of disengaging with the students)

ANY suggestions are welcome, your ideas are just as good as mine at this point, so please don't be afraid to pitch in! :smile:

Thank you in advance!

Baiting out skets in London

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OMGhelpmeplease
Hi I'm 14 at the moment and I think talking about your travelling whilst linking it to the current curriculum everyone would really enjoy your presentation. Science would also be good but only if you can show or prove something otherwise I would probably loose interest. Good luck!

Hey! Thank you so much for your comment! If I decided to talk about my volunteering trip to Morocco, what topics in the curriculum could I link it to? Is just talking about their culture, food, traditions, educational enough?

Thanks again for your help :smile:
Are you interested in nothing vaguely academic?

I explained in my first post
I explained in my first post

Badly explained. Find sonething you are interested in and make it academic.

With all due respect, my academic work shows I am indeed very good at explaining concepts. Other than being able to express myself clearly, as an academic I have also mastered the art of typing properly and proof reading my work. Thanks for the empty criticism.

To respond to your suggestion, the purpose of this post it so find out what the academic content is. As such, I will be able to link it to the many things I find interest in. Of course, if this notion is hard for you to understand, you have my sympathy. :smile:

You have contributed nothing helpful to this post, please find another hobby.

P.S. You probably saw my dp and thought why don't I neg a pretty girl, as you never find the chance in real life. Please show yourself out.

And please, for the sake of it, don't reply to my post. This conversation is ending here, respect yourself.
Reply 15
With all due respect, my academic work shows I am indeed very good at explaining concepts. Other than being able to express myself clearly, as an academic I have also mastered the art of typing properly and proof reading my work. Thanks for the empty criticism.

To respond to your suggestion, the purpose of this post it so find out what the academic content is. As such, I will be able to link it to the many things I find interest in. Of course, if this notion is hard for you to understand, you have my sympathy. :smile:

P.S. You probably saw my dp and thought why don't I neg a pretty girl, as you never find the chance in real life. Please show yourself out.

Whatever you do, don't do maths. Most teenagers aren't interested in it. You'll be talking to year 8. They are little devils, probably the hardest group to teach.

History might be interesting, have a look at the national curriculum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And please, for the sake of it, don't reply to my post. This conversation is ending here, respect yourself.

I'm really not too bothered about proof reading a post on TSR, since it still made sense.

It doesn't matter what the academic content is because the curriculum is so expensive you could easily link it to a whole host of topics. What actually matters is that you keep the audience entertained. Generally if you are interested in a topic you can make it interesting to others.

I saw your dp and actually thought that it probably wasn't your own picture and judging by your rep you haven't on in a while.

I can see why you have neg rep now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending