The Student Room Group

Woman is verbally attacking me because I am Muslim

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TorpidPhil
You are beyond paranoid.

Stop wasting the police's time. They have better things to do than dealing with some paranoid women who worries that a crazy nutter who looks at them weird is going to kill them. You obviously are very insecure about being Muslim. Maybe it would be better for your own mental health if you ceased to don the burka (or whatever constitutes Islamic dress to you...)

Actually It was my non Muslim friends who pushed me to report her and not leave it so I guess they're a bit paranoid aswell. And nah I'll dress the way I want to thanks.
Original post by Anonymous
She does look deranged and mental

I'm sure the police will take your training as a psychiatric nurse into consideration when you describe her mental state of mind to them.

The next time I see her I will definitely ask her what her problem is

Oh, well I'm sure that will clear the situation right up. You can have a nice heart to heart over a cup of tea and straighten out any differences you might have while furthering multi-religious cooperation within the community.
Actually It was my non Muslim friends who pushed me to report her and not leave it so I guess they're a bit paranoid aswell. And nah I'll dress the way I want to thanks.

Yes. Clearly you all are. Like another poster said. You must all live in very nice areas, or not urban areas.
Why would you care about the racist opinions of someone like this? If someone who is likely disturbed has a racist opinion it's nothing. If that person runs the country, yes, you have a problem.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Yes. Clearly you all are. Like another poster said. You must all live in very nice areas, or not urban areas.

We live in South East London.
Original post by leavingthecity
Why would you care about the racist opinions of someone like this? If someone who is likely disturbed has a racist opinion it's nothing. If that person runs the country, yes, you have a problem.

I don't tbh I was just slightly worried because I see this women so often now and she practically knows my face so Idk what that could lead to. People on here are saying I'm paranoid but they are speaking out of ignorance so I'm just gonna leave it.
I don't tbh I was just slightly worried because I see this women so often now and she practically knows my face so Idk what that could lead to. People on here are saying I'm paranoid but they are speaking out of ignorance so I'm just gonna leave it.

I made an earlier post about my experience with unhinged stalkers; as in people that followed me on several occasions. I think if you feel physically threatened, there is no harm in speaking to a police officer.
don't listen to these white people making excuses for her. next time she does something you need to walk right up to her and ask her what her problem is. don't be scared of people like that you have the right to feel comfortable and safe anywhere you go in your area.

Ummm but not everyone here is white... who's being discriminatory now.... why is it that some Muslims complain that they're being attacked with islamophobia and then go around being racist...? Massively flawed logic right there. What happened to treat people how you want to be treated? Hiding being an anonymous post are we...:yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe she thought you were looking at her judgementally or rudely? Considering how badly muslim males act in Britain these days (at least in my personal experience) she was probably insulted. Or she could have a mental health condition? Who knows
x

I personally wouldn't just approach her to ask her what her problem is. If she is as crazy as you think, what makes you sure she's not going to suddenly attack you? At the same time though, with what you have said so far I don't think there's anything the police can charge her with, so it's not like they can do much.

The main thing is to keep yourself safe, not to 'get back at her', so keep your distance, ignore and avoid. Btw does she swear at you if you walk past with someone else? Just thinking maybe she picks on you because you look small or timid and she thinks it's easy pickings?

Also most people that have replied have honestly given their opinions and tried to help, it's not very nice to call them ignorant purely because you don't like the advice. I think you have made up your mind to report her to the police. I'd be interested in the result of that if you want to share, I genuinely want to know what they can do in these sort of situations.
No she certainly does not have the right to swear at him. Freedom of speech does not mean you can say whatever you want to whoever you want wherever you want and whenever you want. There are limits.
Original post by mkap
why else would a close minded person verbally attack someone? its either bc of OP's race or religion.

lol no

Please tell me you're joking. This woman does not look innocent she looks evil.

so you can judge on her looks but you're making a thread about her doing the same

oh why i oughta...
Unless the woman specifically says "Muslim" or anything like that, carry on or cuss her ass back.
I say videotape it next time and post here
It's just my personal opinion that she is insulting me because of my Religion. I know I that might not be correct. But that's not the point here, the point is she is possibly a threat and that's why I want to tell the police.

Not to sound rude but get over it, no one cared when my foreign neighbour tries to intimidate me, lets his dog bark at all hours like 5am just to wake me up, dumps dog poop outside my window, threatened me to watch my back or I will get a knife in it and when you speak to him he accuses you of being racist and the bully and thats far more severe than what you get.

Added to that I am autistic so come across strange so people pick up on that and make horrible comments and people think I should just deal with it.

Why is it any different because you think its to do with religion? Where was the people to help me when I had comments made over weight or that I am nerdy since that is picking on me for being different? Or does it only matter when race is believed to be involved?

Ok here's a tiny detail I forgot to include. The second time I saw her, when she walked past me and passed through other people there was another Muslim lady who was really focused on her child and not her surroundings. So I was looking closely to see if she would treat her like that aswell, I could have sworn she was walking towards her, glaring and staring at her aswell but because the lady was so focussed on her misbehaving child she had no idea that the woman was even there. I don't know if she said anything to her because I was too far away, but because the lady never gave her eye contact she just gave up and went into the shop. So that suggests she's got an issue with the Religion to me. Like Kisaki said, regardless of her motives, it's not fair for her to attack random strangers like that, I couldn't care less about her reasoning, I don't know her and have not done anything to her therefore neither I or anyone else deserves that treatment. She does look deranged and mental but I've decided I'm going to report her because I shouldn't have to suffer just because she is suffering. I wouldn't expect anyone to take that sort of behaviour from me so why should I take it from her? If she is ill then the police can surely investigate her case and assist her. The next time I see her I will definitely ask her what her problem is but to me that doesn't justify her actions. She was not attacking everyone on the street, just me. So does her mental problem suddenly trigger something when she sees me? Either way I still feel like reporting her for my own safety and the safety of others.

So she looked at someone who had a misbehaving child who just happened to be muslim therefore the reason she looked was because of that and not because the kid was playing up?
Original post by chemting
Tbf Britain has a horrible free speech record (granted its not Iran/Turkey/Saudi Arabia)

The very fact our laws don't protect hate speech is what makes them so great.
Original post by Dinasaurus
The very fact our laws don't protect hate speech is what makes them so great.

Who wants to protect hate-speech? what is hate-speech? who defines what is hate-speech?

Do the laws go both ways? As in "hate-speech" from an atheist criticising Islam is criminalised, but an Islamist saying all atheists are X,Y are Z are criminalised as well? I don't think that happens.

I deteste X, but I defend someone's right to say X. Otherwise, we are no better than Erdogan.

The ACLU (American Civil Liberties union) once defended KKK's right to have a peaceful march, they defended displaying the confederate flag, they defended the tea party, the Westborough Baptist Church and Rush Limbaugh - all this despite being strongly against what the KKK and co stands for... that tells you a lot about what makes anything so great.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Voltaire's biographer
maybe you should play her card and say something back, nothing rude of course (or if u want you can lol) but ask her why she is making such horrible remarks
Original post by chemting
Who wants to protect hate-speech? what is hate-speech? who defines what is hate-speech?

Do the laws go both ways? As in "hate-speech" from an atheist criticising Islam is criminalised, but an Islamist saying all atheists are X,Y are Z are criminalised as well? I don't think that happens.

I deteste X, but I defend someone's right to say X. Otherwise, we are no better than Erdogan.

The ACLU (American Civil Liberties union) once defended KKK's right to have a peaceful march, they defended displaying the confederate flag, they defended the tea party, the Westborough Baptist Church and Rush Limbaugh - all this despite being strongly against what the KKK and co stands for... that tells you a lot about what makes anything so great.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Voltaire's biographer

Hate speech like calling someone a P-word or an N-word, either way that isn't correct. Someone criticising Islam is fine but someone criticising someone because they are Muslim is not.

The current UK law, as far as I've seen has not been used in a negative way.
Hate speech like calling someone a P-word or an N-word, either way that isn't correct. Someone criticising Islam is fine but someone criticising someone because they are Muslim is not.

Of course its not, but that does not mean noone has the right to criticise Islamists. But as grotesque as it is, do you think saying the P-word in a heated (or maybe drunk) moment that isn't going to affect anybody is worthy of being criminalised? and potentially lose their jobs and seriously set them in life? They should jeered at of course, but not have a criminal record.

People have been jailed for things said twitter, and whilst the things they say are despicable, I don’t think they should be jailed

There will always be stupid dickheads on twitter, but stupid dickheads are stupid dickheads... people abuse these laws to censor people they don't like. It.

It happens on Youtube and other social media. People false flags and abuse the system.

If you wish to ban angry stupid idiots for being angry stupid idiots, that's fine. The big problem however is the "de-platform anti hate-speech" (code for censor people we don't like) policy taken by universities and like-minded institutions.

For example, a certain university banned Maryam Namazie for fear of offending Muslims. Milo (well-known “anti-feminist) was banned from a certain university. Even feminists have banned for being the wrong sort of feminist (wrong-think). It happens more than people think.

Sticking to the original point of the thread. It is despicable that would hate people for a certain race, creed, ethnicity. However, the best thing is avoid this person and not escalate the situation any further. The more people are censored, the angrier people get. One of the best things about free speech that it allows people to vent their anger by just talking, instead people might join fair-right radical groups (which is more dangerous) if they feel they their voices are being censored.
(edited 8 years ago)

There is power behind a word, I notice you never used words like cracker or even Jock which are used as slurs but allowed (and black people call the N word to each other all the time)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending