The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 1 06/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hurbad
lol my teacher started Unit 2 beginning of February and now we're almost half way through it :/ talk about rush
what do you mean ''what the mark scheme wants from me'' ? lol

@xxvine Hey :smile: whats up ? long time no see haha

Btw for Unit 1 im doing Democracy&participation and Pressure groups with a bit political parties :smile:
and for unit 2 all of them but not much pressure on judiciary haha :smile: if you need any notes on unit 1 , pm i got some :smile:

What it wants from me as in examples and stuff? I lost a lot of marks in my mock due to not giving enough examples, but the mark schemes don't ask for them?
Original post by popcornjpg
Luckily enough, unit 1 is generally much easier, especially since you can focus on two topics (or three if you want to be safe). I would recommend doing democracy and pressure groups, they are the easiest in my opinion, and then for the third electoral systems. For Edexcel, political parties are long, tedious and not worth it I'd say.

Do you have a textbook?

That's what I've done- I agree, though parties are interesting, it's just soo much content to push through.
Yes I do! My lecturer said they weren't much help because they're outdated but I've found it soooo helpful for outlining the course.
Luckily enough, unit 1 is generally much easier, especially since you can focus on two topics (or three if you want to be safe). I would recommend doing democracy and pressure groups, they are the easiest in my opinion, and then for the third electoral systems. For Edexcel, political parties are long, tedious and not worth it I'd say.

Do you have a textbook?

Most schools don't do ideologies though, and even if you do, the ideologies bit of that chapter is the easier one and can be learnt separately - the frustrating element of that chapter is learning about all the policies, beliefs etc. of the five or six parties, including New Labour and Thatcherism. It's just a lot of information and feels pointless when the other chapters are so much easier.

I agree with you totally and have repped you. People! Take note. Popcorn has spoken :tongue:

Silly question. Can I just study democracy and pressure groups for Unit 1? or do I really need to study for a third chapter? and why is this so?
Original post by Audrey18
I agree with you totally and have repped you. People! Take note. Popcorn has spoken :tongue:

Silly question. Can I just study democracy and pressure groups for Unit 1? or do I really need to study for a third chapter? and why is this so?

You could only revise two chapters but it's quite risky. It could be the case that you get a question on either chapter that you just somehow forgot, but you will have to answer anyway since you only revised two chapters. So it depends on you and whether you want to risk it I suppose.
You could only revise two chapters but it's quite risky. It could be the case that you get a question on either chapter that you just somehow forgot, but you will have to answer anyway since you only revised two chapters. So it depends on you and whether you want to risk it I suppose.

I really must be mentally exhausted from all the studying because I do not understand your post at all. Could you rephrase that again? thanks.

@jamestg @Hurbad I would like to hear your take on this.
Reply 85
why do I feel like I have left revision too late:frown:
Reply 86

I second this

Try and learn 3
Original post by xxvine

Well you sort of have, it is ideal to start revising after the christmas break. Just start now and get it done, there is still over 3 months until the first exam.
Reply 88
Well you sort of have, it is ideal to start revising after the christmas break. Just start now and get it done, there is still over 3 months until the first exam.

Yeah
Not too worried actually. A few people I spoke to today started revision in Easter and all 3 got As in both units. Just have to do quality revision I suppose
Hi, For Unit 2 do we revise all 4 topics?
heya. i studied unit 1.1 democracy and 1.4 pressure groups (i wonder if its safe to study just two units for unit 1) and all units for unit 2. im also doing the american topic for A2. im on the fast track A levels if that makes any sense to you.

From my teachers, they say that yes, it is possible to do two, however if a nightmare question appears you're screwed, so do three. In my view however, if you can revise well enough on two, go for it.
Reply 91
I really must be mentally exhausted from all the studying because I do not understand your post at all. Could you rephrase that again? thanks.

@jamestg @Hurbad I would like to hear your take on this.

for Unit 1 there's section A and B
and you have to pick one from A and one from B
so if you revised 2 topics and they both showed up on section A then mate you are fuuuuuuuuucked haha
Do Democracy&Participation and Pressure groups and just in case revise moderately on Political parties cause they seem rather easy for me (I also study British history so its kinda easy for me )

and for Unit 2 its Section A and B
Section A has the 5,10,25 mark questions ( you have to pick one)
and then Section B has the 40 mark essay question which you have to pick one
REVISE THIS SHIIIT CAUSE THEY CHANGED IT SOO MUCH RIDICULOUS , so lets all pray that the 40 mark question this year is going to be on Constitution...

I apologise for my profanity :smile:
I had a mock on Parliament couple of hours ago haha
Reply 92
Original post by King Geedorah
Hi, For Unit 2 do we revise all 4 topics?

Just to stay safe cause they changed it a lot so imagine if you studied just 2 and they showed up both as 40 markers :/ hahahhahahahaha imagine hahahahahahahhahahaahah
Reply 93
I attached all the questions i could find for Democracy&Participation and Pressure Groups :smile:
I hope it helps

Fuuuck my life , i need to start revising this SHiit
Reply 94
Original post by Hurbad
so if you revised 2 topics and they both showed up on section A then mate you are fuuuuuuuuucked haha
Do Democracy&Participation and Pressure groups and just in case revise moderately on Political parties cause they seem rather easy for me (I also study British history so its kinda easy for me )

REVISE THIS SHIIIT CAUSE THEY CHANGED IT SOO MUCH RIDICULOUS , so lets all pray that the 40 mark question this year is going to be on Constitution...

How have they changed it so much? In Unit 2 you can actually get away with learning just CONSTITUTION & Parliament as those two never appear in the same section together. Its risky though and wouldn't advise incase they decide to be mean this year and put those two in the same section together.
Original post by xxvine

Original post by xxvine
Yeah
Not too worried actually. A few people I spoke to today started revision in Easter and all 3 got As in both units. Just have to do quality revision I suppose

You have still yet to answer the questions I posed to you a day or two ago. You need to be more forthcoming in your participation of this thread. Afterall you're the TS. Surely you need to lead by example? I shall provide those questions here again and I would you to try answering them. Bullet points are fine by me.

@Hurbad @balanced @JessieTaylor98 @espicton98 Would you like to give these questions a go too?

Unit 2.1 : The UK Constitution
In the absence of a written Constitution, what mechanisms are in place to limit government's ever increasing powers?

Unit 2.2 : Parliament
Parliament can pass any law it wants no matter how ridiculous it is. To what extent is this true?

Unit 2.3 : The Prime Minister and Cabinet
Cabinet meetings are secret. Discuss.

Unit 2.4 : The judiciary and civil liberties
Do judges make law?

Original post by Hurbad

This is interesting. The edexcel exam paper that I downloaded doesn't show this. Did the question format of the exam change? Can you provide the updated past year exam paper format here?
Reply 96
Do you think that English MPs should only vote for legislation that affects England ?

I was reading this article the other day and it seemed fair since English MPs don't have a say in what happens in the Scottish , Irish, Welsh Assemblies.........(Its good and bad)
I have nothing against the scottish lol but how the f*ck does getting another runway for Heathrow affect Scotland ? :/ sorry but i just dont understand...
I repeat again , I'm not here to offend anybody but simply asking your opinion :smile:
Original post by Hurbad
Do you think that English MPs should only vote for legislation that affects England ?

I was reading this article the other day and it seemed fair since English MPs don't have a say in what happens in the Scottish , Irish, Welsh Assemblies.........(Its good and bad)
I have nothing against the scottish lol but how the f*ck does getting another runway for Heathrow affect Scotland ? :/ sorry but i just dont understand...
I repeat again , I'm not here to offend anybody but simply asking your opinion :smile:

The manner in which you framed your question is interesting because it throws people off-guard. The question that needs to be asked is 'Should Scottish MPs be allowed to vote on English laws' :tongue:

But let's take your original question and try to dissect it. This is a classic case of political ping pong. In order to be able to come up with a satisfactory answer to your question, I would suggest that the following be discussed.

the issue of devolution powers

the result of the Scottish referendum of 2014

parliamentary supremacy/sovereignty

Burkean vision of democracy

I would then conclude that English MPs should vote on English laws. and for those that agree with me, I want you to think about this for a second. If you had agreed to original question, why then should UK be part of the EU? Shouldn't UK law makers vote and make laws that affect the people of the UK? Why should unelected and unaccountable EU ministers, commissioners and presidents be allowed to decide on laws that affect the UK?
You have still yet to answer the questions I posed to you a day or two ago. You need to be more forthcoming in your participation of this thread.

Nobody has an obligation to answer your questions or anyone else's, including mine, for that matter. Joining this thread, and occasionally posting, isn't a declaration of intention to discuss in this thread between now and the exam.

People will post/answer if they:
a) have the time
b) have the answer
c) actually want to

Many people, including me, would rather do their own work and comment on here when they are able to. I understand you're self studying this, which makes the urge of wanting to discuss things on here even stronger, but you can't just expect people to participate.

///

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, and I'm not attacking you! You seem like a really nice person with nothing but good intentions! :h:
Original post by jamestg
Nobody has an obligation to answer your questions or anyone else's, including mine, for that matter. Joining this thread, and occasionally posting, isn't a declaration of intention to discuss in this thread between now and the exam.

People will post/answer if they:
a) have the time
b) have the answer
c) actually want to

Many people, including me, would rather do their own work and comment on here when they are able to. I understand you're self studying this, which makes the urge of wanting to discuss things on here even stronger, but you can't just expect people to participate.

///

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, and I'm not attacking you! You seem like a really nice person with nothing but good intentions! :h:

okay.

Quick Reply

Latest