The Student Room Group

Chance of getting into a top tier university with pretty bad GCSEs?

Hi all!

So, I was an arrogant git in my last year in secondary school, and thought I could get away with not revising. I am now paying the price.

My GCSES are:
Maths - B
English (Language) - A
(Literature) - B
Core/Add Science:
Biology - A
Chemistry - B
Physics - B
Religious Studies - A
Art - B
Electronics - B
Computing - C
French - C

I'm predicted 4 As for AS, and I'm aiming for 2 A*S and an A in A Level, and I'm more than ready to work for it after my latest failure in GCSEs.

What I would like to know (if you guys would be kind enough to answer :smile: ) what my chances are of getting into a top university (e.g Cambridge). I really, really want to study politics, it's such a brilliant subject! I love it to bits! I've been invited to Parliament by my MP, who's also willing to provide a university reference for me. Studying Politics (preferably Cambridge's TriPo) would be a dream come true.

Thanks to anyone who answers! :smile:
(please be nice tho)
Original post by dynamite,
Hi all!

So, I was an arrogant git in my last year in secondary school, and thought I could get away with not revising. I am now paying the price.

My GCSES are:
Maths - B
English (Language) - A
(Literature) - B
Core/Add Science:
Biology - A
Chemistry - B
Physics - B
Religious Studies - A
Art - B
Electronics - B
Computing - C
French - C

I'm predicted 4 As for AS, and I'm aiming for 2 A*S and an A in A Level, and I'm more than ready to work for it after my latest failure in GCSEs.

What I would like to know (if you guys would be kind enough to answer :smile: ) what my chances are of getting into a top university (e.g Cambridge). I really, really want to study politics, it's such a brilliant subject! I love it to bits! I've been invited to Parliament by my MP, who's also willing to provide a university reference for me. Studying Politics (preferably Cambridge's TriPo) would be a dream come true.

(please be nice tho)

It's not a great start and will put you slightly down in their estimations but I've heard that Cambridge don't look that much at GCSES so as long as you do amazingly at AS (really high UMSs) you probably have a chance. If you have that fantastic work experience too then that will show them you are a serious applicant and so will consider you more seriously.
Hi all!

My GCSES are:
Maths - B
English (Language) - A
(Literature) - B
Core/Add Science:
Biology - A
Chemistry - B
Physics - B
Religious Studies - A
Art - B
Electronics - B
Computing - C
French - C

(please be nice tho)

As you probably know, your GCSE's are much weaker than most successful Cambridge applicants will be. However, if you do get 2 A*'s and an A at A-level (in good subjects), you will certainly be in a strong position to apply. Work experience/references is pretty irrelevant.

You also need to do a bit of research about the Cambridge course. There is no politics tripos, instead politics forms part of the Human, Social and Political Sciences tripos, and from next year the History and Politics course. So if you just want to study politics, the Cambridge course may not be for you.
Reply 3
Original post by sweeneyrod
As you probably know, your GCSE's are much weaker than most successful Cambridge applicants will be. However, if you do get 2 A*'s and an A at A-level (in good subjects), you will certainly be in a strong position to apply. Work experience/references is pretty irrelevant.

You also need to do a bit of research about the Cambridge course. There is no politics tripos, instead politics forms part of the Human, Social and Political Sciences tripos, and from next year the History and Politics course. So if you just want to study politics, the Cambridge course may not be for you.

Oh, I'm so sorry, I meant the Human, Social and Political Science tripo! Sorry for the confusion. :smile: I'm planning to take Chemistry, Maths and Politics for my A-Level next year; would you say that these are strong subjects?
Oh, I'm so sorry, I meant the Human, Social and Political Science tripo! Sorry for the confusion. :smile: I'm planning to take Chemistry, Maths and Politics for my A-Level next year; would you say that these are strong subjects?

What is your fourth AS? Those are good subjects, although I imagine having neither history nor geography is somewhat unusual for HSPS.
Reply 5
Original post by sweeneyrod
What is your fourth AS? Those are good subjects, although I imagine having neither history nor geography is somewhat unusual for HSPS.

My fourth AS is Biology, which I'm planning to drop by the end of the AS year.
Yeah, I thought it might be, but I only recently discovered how much I love Politics as a subject, and by the time I found out what course I wanted to do, it was far too late to change my choices.
My fourth AS is Biology, which I'm planning to drop by the end of the AS year.
Yeah, I thought it might be, but I only recently discovered how much I love Politics as a subject, and by the time I found out what course I wanted to do, it was far too late to change my choices.

As long as you mention that on your personal statement, I'm sure it will be fine. Are you doing an EPQ or similar? That might also be useful in your position.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending