The Student Room Group

A Level choices for MFL at university

I'm currently in year 12 studying Spanish, English literature, maths and history. I'd like to study languages at uni and I'm starting to look at places I'm going to apply. I performed well in my GCSEs with all A and A* grades so I'm hopefully going to be applying to top unis and my question is if I'll be disadvantaged or less likely to get into the best universities like Oxbridge, Durham etc. because I'm only doing one language at A level. I'm really passionate about languages and I'm learning Italian in my spare time but I'd just like an idea if my subjects are going to limit my success with uni applications.
If anyone is doing languages at uni or is hoping to apply/have applied I'd be interested to know what A levels you took and if you wish you'd done any different ones/ how much your subjects have helped you.
Thanks for any replies
(edited 8 years ago)
No, you won't be at a disadvantage. Do you know which languages you want to do? It is very common to do one post-A level language and one ab initio language at uni.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
No, you won't be at a disadvantage. Do you know which languages you want to do? It is very common to do one post-A level language and one ab initio language at uni.

Probably either Hispanic studies or Spanish with beginners Italian.
Reply 3
I'm in exactly the same position as you: hoping to study Spanish and Italian ab initio & also doing the same A-levels except Economics instead of History.

I chose English Lit as this helps to compensate for only having one language and a Cambridge admissions officer strongly advised that I keep it for A2 as well. Your passion for languages will show through your Spanish and the Italian that you do know, so I doubt you'll be at a disadvantage. I am hoping to learn some Italian on online courses during summer & I'm really excited to start learning.

Best of luck for your AS exams in a few months time
Reply 4
Original post by PLL+GG28
I'm in exactly the same position as you: hoping to study Spanish and Italian ab initio & also doing the same A-levels except Economics instead of History.

I chose English Lit as this helps to compensate for only having one language and a Cambridge admissions officer strongly advised that I keep it for A2 as well. Your passion for languages will show through your Spanish and the Italian that you do know, so I doubt you'll be at a disadvantage. I am hoping to learn some Italian on online courses during summer & I'm really excited to start learning.

Best of luck for your AS exams in a few months time

Good luck to you as well! Good to know there's others in the same boat.

Quick Reply

Latest