The Student Room Group

Why are women's magazines so bad?

So I'm doing a debate at school where I'm against women's magazines. I have some pretty good points already, but I'm wandering if any of you have any good points. Also it'll be good if you can come up with arguments for women's magazines, but also come up with a counter argument for it.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

For: suits woman better - not everything is for everyone
Against: Market might focus more on women to earn more money so men are disadvantaged
(edited 8 years ago)
Magazines shouldn't necessarily be aimed at a specific gender as the vast majority of people don't fit the stereotypes reflected in these magazines so you could say they're sexist as they very often focus on supposedly feminine traits when there are plenty of men interested in the same things and plenty of women who aren't. Also, they're all so repetitive, if you have read one you've read them all, waste of a tree's life tbh
Reply 3
Women's magazines often pander to the lowest common female denominator, and are often the source and continuation of subtle sexism in the media.
Original post by Arkasia
Women's magazines often pander to the lowest common female denominator,

That's is really low.
Given that more often than not they're filled with the kind of absolute drivel (I assume you're talking about Heat, Best, etc) that lowers the IQ of everyone within 5km of the person reading it, do you really need another reason?
Waiting for the content to be blamed on men.
Should be interesting when the vast majority of the editors, staff and readers are women.
Original post by Blondie987
Magazines shouldn't necessarily be aimed at a specific gender as the vast majority of people don't fit the stereotypes reflected in these magazines so you could say they're sexist as they very often focus on supposedly feminine traits when there are plenty of men interested in the same things and plenty of women who aren't. Also, they're all so repetitive, if you have read one you've read them all, waste of a tree's life tbh

Go to any supermarket , WHSmith etc where there are racks upon racks of "men's" mags and "women's" where you can stand and watch for ten minutes and you will see the "vast majority" of the buyers and readers are exactly the stereotype that they are aimed at.
You can spend half a day waiting to see a young woman pick up a copy of Trainspotter, and likewise a man pick up a copy of Woman or Glamour.
You're spot on about them being repetitive though.
I always found that they sent really mixed messages. On one page, you'd have an article telling you to love yourself the way you are, next to a full-page ad for make-up or something with a heavily-shopped model with fake everything.

Don't get me started on the awful sex and relationship tips.
Reply 9
Well, not all women's magazines fit the "bill". If ya for banning women's mags, ban the specific type you dislike. Do you mean mags aimed at women or just women's mags with women on it and just talking about "womanly" things and include sex tips aimed at 25-40? Do you consider mags about furniture designing, or for mothers with kids women mags? There are tons of mags aimed at females, so banning women's mags would mean banning all types of them.
Reply 10
Women's mags are great !!!
Original post by Ostio456
So I'm doing a debate at school where I'm against women's magazines. I have some pretty good points already, but I'm wandering if any of you have any good points. Also it'll be good if you can come up with arguments for women's magazines, but also come up with a counter argument for it.

Thanks

Seems it's only women's magazines that include horoscopes....we are trying to encourage girls to study STEM subjects yet keeping them in the dark ages by encouraging belief in astrological piffle.
They objectify women just as much as other magazines do (sometimes more).
Original post by TeeEm
Women's mags are great !!!

Hello ?
Reply 14
Original post by the bear
Hello ?

definitely ...
when you are waiting at the dentist, doctors etc most of us pick up the women's mags
Original post by leavingthecity
Seems it's only women's magazines that include horoscopes....we are trying to encourage girls to study STEM subjects yet keeping them in the dark ages by encouraging belief in astrological piffle.

hmmm i think you are Aries on the cusp of Taurus. you are not afraid to follow the truth even if it leads you into a spot of bother. you are kind to your friends and drive a yellow Volkwagen with a broken heater.
Original post by TeeEm
definitely ...
when you are waiting at the dentist, doctors etc most of us pick up the women's mags

OK
Reply 17
Women's magazines be like:
Page 5: Love yourself no matter how you look like.

Page 10: Best diet tips.

Page 15: Best cake recipe.
What about the photoshopping of models creating unreal expectations for women and self esteem etc, that is quite often argued.
there are many valuable resources for women in these magazines:

www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/g2501/how-to-decorate-your-vagina/

i could go on...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending