The Student Room Group

Complex functions - loci in the complex plane

A transformation, T, maps the point P from the z plane to Q in the w plane, defined below.

w=2izz,zC,z0 \displaystyle w = \frac{2-iz}{z}, z \in \mathbb{C}, z\neq 0

What is the locus of the point P, if P is mapped to Q which has locus arg(w)=π3 arg(w)=\frac{ \pi }{3} .

I got arg(z+2iz)=5π6 \displaystyle arg \left(\frac{z+2i}{z} \right )=\frac{5 \pi}{6} .
Can someone just quickly check this and tell me what answer they got. Would be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Ano123
A transformation, T, maps the point P from the z plane to Q in the w plane, defined below.

w=2izz,zC,z0 \displaystyle w = \frac{2-iz}{z}, z \in \mathbb{C}, z\neq 0

What is the locus of the point P, if P is mapped to Q which has locus arg(w)=π3 arg(w)=\frac{ \pi }{3} .

I got arg(z+2iz)=5π6 \displaystyle arg \left(\frac{z+2i}{z} \right )=\frac{5 \pi}{6} .
Can someone just quickly check this and tell me what answer they got. Would be appreciated.

well it is correct but is there a reason why you want it like this?
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
well it is correct but is there a reason why you want it like this?

What do you mean? The form that it is in?
Reply 3
Original post by Ano123
What do you mean? The form that it is in?

yes
Reply 4
Original post by TeeEm
yes

I think it probably the easiest to sketch in this form.
Reply 5
Original post by Ano123

it is
Original post by TeeEm
it is

Original post by Ano123

Hi, sorry to hijack your thread but i have a question for you both

So i was trying to sketch arg(z+2iz)=5π6 \displaystyle \displaystyle arg \left(\frac{z+2i}{z} \right )=\frac{5 \pi}{6} but give up and went to wolfham alpha to see it, only to find it was a line

usually my method is to pick some values for the argument and find where the lines meet. An example below;

(note: i will quote angles in degrees rather than radians, just because i cba latexing it, i know its wrong and im sorry :spank:smile:

I would do arg(z) = 0 therefore arg(z-2i) = -45, draw the lines and "X" where they cross
arg(z) = 60 therefore arg(z-2i) = 15 and do the same etc until I see the part circle which i can effectively dot to dot

however unless i am being really dumb this method cant be applied to OPs question, so what other (and probably better) method is there for these questions?

thanks, and once again sorry for hijacking OP :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by DylanJ42

So i was trying to sketch arg(z+2iz)=5π6 \displaystyle \displaystyle arg \left(\frac{z+2i}{z} \right )=\frac{5 \pi}{6} but give up and went to wolfham alpha to see it, only to find it was a line

usually my method is to pick some values for the argument and find where the lines meet. An example below;

(note: i will quote angles in degrees rather than radians, just because i cba latexing it, i know its wrong and im sorry :spank:smile:

I would do arg(z) = 0 therefore arg(z-2i) = -45, draw the lines and "X" where they cross
arg(z) = 60 therefore arg(z-2i) = 15 and do the same etc until I see the part circle which i can effectively dot to dot

however unless i am being really dumb this method cant be applied to OPs question, so what other (and probably better) method is there for these questions?

these are arcs of circles
Original post by TeeEm
these are arcs of circles

yep.. is this it?

but is there a better method, my current method seems very unreliable
Reply 9
yep.. is this it?

Look up the "arc of circles" video On examsolutions under complex loci
Reply 10

You will start at -2i, then draw an arc of a circle (minor arc as angle is greater than π/2 \pi/2 ) anticlockwise to the origin, o+oi. As Zacken has done.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
yep.. is this it?

the geometric approach is pants, but in exams will be adequate
I was educated to use algebra to obtain the equation of the circle, and then get the arc from algebraic constraints
Original post by Zacken
Look up the "arc of circles" video On examsolutions under complex loci

i will do once I start FP2 revision again, it has been too long since I done it :s-smilie:

Original post by B_9710
You will start at -2i, then draw an arc of a circle (minor arc as angle is greater than π/2 \pi/2 ) anticlockwise to the origin, o+oi.

and that's all you do?

so in my example above; arg(z)arg(z2i)=π4 \displaystyle \arg(z) - \arg(z-2i) = \frac{\pi}{4} you start at (0,0) and draw an arc to 2i, go anticlockwise and its major because angle is less than π2 \displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2} ?

and im guessing if the angle is minus you do a clockwise arc? with minor if |angle| > pi/2 and major if |angle| < pi/2?
Original post by TeeEm
the geometric approach is pants, but in exams will be adequate
I was educated to use algebra to obtain the equation of the circle, and then get the arc from algebraic constraints

damn right, it's very tedious

I will educate myself to use algebra, it seems much better

thank you :smile:
Reply 14

Sounds like you got it, yep.
Original post by Zacken
Sounds like you got it, yep.

wtf :laugh: that's so much easier than my method, thanks a lot :biggrin:
Reply 16
wtf :laugh: that's so much easier than my method, thanks a lot :biggrin:

You understand why we start at (0,0) in your case though, right? If it was arg(z -(a+ib)) - arg(blah) you'd start from (a,b).
Reply 17
The equation of the circle that the arc lies on is
(x+3)2+(y+1)2=4 \displaystyle (x+\sqrt3)^2+(y+1)^2=4 (please correct me if I have made a mistake).

Let's let the arc, C be defined by the parametric equations
x=2sint3 x=2\sin t-\sqrt3 and y=2cost1 y=2\cos t-1 , for π/3t2π/3 \pi/3 \leqslant t \leqslant 2\pi/3 .
That's the arc in the x-y plane.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
You understand why we start at (0,0) in your case though, right? If it was arg(z -(a+ib)) - arg(blah) you'd start from (a,b).

if this is right then im all good

Reply 19
if this is right then im all good

Correct.

Quick Reply

Latest