The Student Room Group

Enrichment Courses and University Placement

Hello everyone. I have a question regarding enrichment courses and placement in universities- particularly Oxbridge, or Russell Group in general.

Now, my main query is whether enrichment courses can help or ruin your chances at certain university courses, or whether they have little to no effect at all?

Here's an example:

I am wishing to potentially study something along the lines of French and Linguistics at Oxford or somewhere of a similar calibre. My A-Level choices (as of the moment) are English Language, French, Drama and Theatre Studies and Classical Civilisation. However, I have a few options regarding the enrichment courses:

AS Dance- Throughout my GCSEs, I have been very annoyed that I didn't take dance, and when I found out it was an enrichment course as well as a qualification, I was incredibly happy.

Italian- Although I don't get a qualification out of this, it adds to my number of languages, and I already have a pretty good command of the language.

So will it make any difference whether I take AS Dance or Italian, both as enrichment courses, or should I definitely take one or the other?

Thanks for any help.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown:

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses. :redface:

:h:
Original post by TeenPolyglot
Hello everyone. I have a question regarding enrichment courses and placement in universities- particularly Oxbridge, or Russell Group in general.

Now, my main query is whether enrichment courses can help or ruin your chances at certain university courses, or whether they have little to no effect at all?

Here's an example:

I am wishing to potentially study something along the lines of French and Linguistics at Oxford or somewhere of a similar calibre. My A-Level choices (as of the moment) are English Language, French, Drama and Theatre Studies and Classical Civilisation. However, I have a few options regarding the enrichment courses:

AS Dance- Throughout my GCSEs, I have been very annoyed that I didn't take dance, and when I found out it was an enrichment course as well as a qualification, I was incredibly happy.

Italian- Although I don't get a qualification out of this, it adds to my number of languages, and I already have a pretty good command of the language.

So will it make any difference whether I take AS Dance or Italian, both as enrichment courses, or should I definitely take one or the other?

Thanks for any help.

It sounds like you want to take dance but are concerned that not taking italian will damage your chances.

If you want to take dance then do it. Self studying languages using online tools in your own time (maybe over the summer between yr12 and 13) would be more impressive/convincing to admissions staff.
Original post by PQ
It sounds like you want to take dance but are concerned that not taking italian will damage your chances.

If you want to take dance then do it. Self studying languages using online tools in your own time (maybe over the summer between yr12 and 13) would be more impressive/convincing to admissions staff.

This is a perfect reply.

In short, that was my exact problem.

And I have been learning other languages for ages- I can proficiently communicate in about 5, so am I right in thinking that this is a better representation of my interest than taking just Italian as another thing because "it's a language"?

Quick Reply

Latest