The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kingofacademics
I'm just happy Cholesta's son got LSE lol but seriously I wish my mum was that supportive tbh..

I'm supportive because I'm both mum and dad to my children. Also, when my husband was in hospital they had to fend for themselves in the middle of GCSE's and A2 and I feel terrible that I wasn't there for them. Making up for that lost time. I'm quite sure your mum is interested. 😀🍀
Original post by Cholesta
I'm supportive because I'm both mum and dad to my children. Also, when my husband was in hospital they had to fend for themselves in the middle of GCSE's and A2 and I feel terrible that I wasn't there for them. Making up for that lost time. I'm quite sure your mum is interested. 😀🍀

It's so cool though that you show so much interest and you must be so happy that you've made up for that because now he has an offer from his dream uni! Most parents tend to encourage their children to stay close to them, but you've been supportive for your son to go away to wherever is best for him and that's pretty amazing!!
Congrats!

Aww, Cholesta!

I honestly think it is amazing that, even though you've lost your husband, you are still actively encouraging your son to follow his dreams & move away from you to go to the university of his choice; it's very selfless. I bet your boy's dad would be really proud of both of you.
Original post by kingofacademics
It's so cool though that you show so much interest and you must be so happy that you've made up for that because now he has an offer from his dream uni! Most parents tend to encourage their children to stay close to them, but you've been supportive for your son to go away to wherever is best for him and that's pretty amazing!!

My daughter is at university in Scotland. She left for university in September a few months after her dad died. The alternative was to go to Queens and as we live close by, what would be the point. It's hard to let go and people always comment on the fact that I am happy enough for them to go. It's a great experience to be studying away from home and it's selfish to try and keep your children close by. Have you come to any decisions yet?
Original post by MsTabitha
Aww, Cholesta!

I honestly think it is amazing that, even though you've lost your husband, you are still actively encouraging your son to follow his dreams & move away from you to go to the university of his choice; it's very selfless. I bet your boy's dad would be really proud of both of you.

I've a daughter studying in Scotland. She phones every day for a girly chat and when she's home we make the most of things, shopping,dinner out etc.
Original post by cuddledumpling
Finally rejected from Bristol it took them 5 months to tell me and they tried to give me an offer for social policy instead! But I got an a offer from my first choice, so not too bothered more annoyed it took them this long.

I got the exact same today! tried to swap me to social policy also :frown: it's a shame to be rejected but oh well! have you got offers elsewhere?
I've a daughter studying in Scotland. She phones every day for a girly chat and when she's home we make the most of things, shopping,dinner out etc.

Sweet. My mum always says it's your job, as a parent, to give your kids the wings that allow them to fly away. And then they know how to fly back again.
Original post by MsTabitha
Sweet. My mum always says it's your job, as a parent, to give your kids the wings that allow them to fly away. And then they know how to fly back again.

Your mum is a sensible woman.😀
Original post by crocface
Don't forget in choosing IB subjects the likelyhood of getting a 7 in the HL subjects. This is by far the hardest part of IB. English universities are very unfair in their treatment of offers for IB candidates. The higher grade univerisities are usually asking HL766 or even 776 in the case of Cambridge. If you are doing subjects like English and History only 3% of candidates worldwide will obtain a HL7 in the final exam. Even if you could be very lucky to get a 7, the problem is your school cannot realistically predict you will get a 7. I had the problem with KCL that I chose the 3 most demanding IB HL subjects. Even though the school reference stated I was the highest achieving student in the subjects and would highly likely be in the top 5% of all students, that was still not enough to give a predicted grade of 7. Result automatic rejection from KCL for not meeting criteria. That they don't understand the improbability of there own criteria is telling. You will be far better doing the 3 most easy subjects rather than to stretch yourself academically, either that or arrange to do Alevel instead.

Well I see your point, but I do not necessarily agree with you. Because teachers are supposed to, and they do, predict you depending on what you have received for your IAs, as well as, how well you have done on similar Paper 1 or Paper 2 practices in class. Surely things may go worse during exams or you may even surpass your predicted grades (which is great) but if the teacher is confident to predict you a 7 depending on the capabilities you've demonstrated in class, then that is what convinces the university that you are a hard worker. You may argue that students negotiate their predicted grades. True, but then that's a gamble that they are positioning themselves in and hence why offers are usually only conditional. Otherwise, the unis would just look at your transcript like American schools do. So my point is that I think some unis ask for 7 in HL subjects not only because they want exemplary students in their school, but they want people who are determined-hard workers in general. Because real life is not about taking exams and surely they are aware of that.
Original post by mattlally
Me!

I am also waiting...
Original post by LucyABr
I got the exact same today! tried to swap me to social policy also :frown: it's a shame to be rejected but oh well! have you got offers elsewhere?

I'm really sorry to hear you were rejected! I am still waiting and I sent my application off in mid October. If you don't mind me asking, what did you get in you GCSEs and AS Levels? Also, how did you score in the LNAT? What do you study at A2 and what are you predicted?

I just want to know now! Even if it is a rejection, I'd rather know or not! Good luck in the Summer and i hope you go to a UNI you like!
Original post by 09owenss
I'm really sorry to hear you were rejected! I am still waiting and I sent my application off in mid October. If you don't mind me asking, what did you get in you GCSEs and AS Levels? Also, how did you score in the LNAT? What do you study at A2 and what are you predicted?

I just want to know now! Even if it is a rejection, I'd rather know or not! Good luck in the Summer and i hope you go to a UNI you like!

good luck!! :smile:
I got ABBBD at AS, and 2A*'s, 4 A's, 4 B's and a C at gcse!
I got 24 in the LNAT and am predicted A*AA at A2. I take Law, English literature and English language :smile:
yeah I get you - the waiting is horrible :frown: I hope you get and offer and get to go to where you want to! good luck to you too!:smile:))
Reply 3213
Does anyone know if it is possible to defer AND reapply next year?
Original post by IDKY

Pretty sure that would nullify you're ability to hold onto your offer because it's all done through UCAS
Original post by IDKY

You can defer for a year but you can't reapply and defer. If you wanted to reapply, you will have to reject any offer you do get (even if it's for deferred entry) and then reapply.
Reply 3216
Original post by SebastianCanuck
Pretty sure that would nullify you're ability to hold onto your offer because it's all done through UCAS

Original post by catherinecain
You can defer for a year but you can't reapply and defer. If you wanted to reapply, you will have to reject any offer you do get (even if it's for deferred entry) and then reapply.

What if I defer, check my final result in the IB (june), and then say no or yes depending on my final score?
Congrats on the offers everyone! It's nice to see those who have been waiting for so long to finally hear back :-)

Has anyone heard anything about course content changes as a result of the EU Referendum? I'm just curious as to whether we will still study European Union Law if we leave the EU. You could argue that many European laws will still stand whilst the transition out of the EU takes place, but by the time we are qualified they will probably be a distant memory (unless they are integrated into English law in some other way).
Original post by Aquaxo
Congrats on the offers everyone! It's nice to see those who have been waiting for so long to finally hear back :-)

Has anyone heard anything about course content changes as a result of the EU Referendum? I'm just curious as to whether we will still study European Union Law if we leave the EU. You could argue that many European laws will still stand whilst the transition out of the EU takes place, but by the time we are qualified they will probably be a distant memory (unless they are integrated into English law in some other way).

Certainly universities won't even think of changing anything until it is certain. I would argue it would anyway stay mostly the same. The UK law part would have to be expanded as specific laws were taken back but the EU module would remain the same and still relevant for companies and law firms interacting with Europe.
Original post by Aquaxo

That's a valid question! :smile:
First of all, I think England is not going to leave the EU. It would be a huge mistake. London is the commercial centre of Europe and is a great place for Russians, Asians and Arabians to invest as it is a part of the EU and laws are protected by it. Also, we should think about the number of students coming to England every year. We pay 9000 quids (European students) and international students pay up to 16500. If tuition fees change, then there will be a huge decrease in the number of applicants. Consequently, entry requirements will drop drastically and universities' reputation will change for the worse. Leaving the EU will definitely change some laws and what happens to those practising the law of the EU in England?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending