The Student Room Group

Does the University you go to matter if it isn't Russell group?

Hear me out, because I know the whole Russell group/not Russell group debate is a touchy issue.

As a lot of people seem to agree, employers will probably not know the exact ranking of your university, regardless or whether it's Russell group or not (apart from Oxbridge obviously). But they do know which universities are Russel Group regardless of their ranking.

So if I'm going to go to choose two universities that aren't Russel group, does it even matter which university is ranked 15th and which is ranked 20th if employers probably won't even know the difference?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ludd-sama
Hear me out, because I know the whole Russell group/not Russell group debate is a touchy issue.

As a lot of people seem to agree, employers will probably not know the exact ranking of your university, regardless or whether it's Russell group or not (apart from Oxbridge obviously). But they do know which universities are Russel Group regardless of their ranking.

So if I'm going to go to choose two universities that aren't Russel group, does it even matter which university is ranked 15th and which is ranked 20th if employers probably won't even know the difference?

Go to the university where the course feels right for you and you think you be happiest and get the most out of it.

The vast majority of employers do not care where you went, and they will not know which universities are RG or not. Some are now going so far as to adopt a CV blind approach to recruitment, so they won't know where you went at all.

There are some courses at some universities which have good ties with certain industries, so if you're thinking of a specific career do your research and look where these courses are as they might help you build contacts and get a job.

But for general job applications it doesn't matter where you went to uni, so pick the place that's going to be right for you :h:
Reply 2
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
There are some courses at some universities which have good ties with certain industries, so if you're thinking of a specific career do your research and look where these courses are as they might help you build contacts and get a job.

Okay, thanks for the reply, it definitely is making me feel more confident about choosing the university I'd feel more happy at rather than letting the rankings decide. But I've quoted something you said in particular about researching a universities links to industry.
Whats the best way for me to find this out?
Go to the university where the course feels right for you and you think you be happiest and get the most out of it.

The vast majority of employers do not care where you went, and they will not know which universities are RG or not.

But obviously it's still better to get into the best university possible.

Although if the OP's university choices are ranked 15 and 20 (precise rankings are meaningless because they change slightly every year) then I don't know what the worry is. If a university's reputation is high then it doesn't matter whether it's in the Russell Group or not. I'd rather be at Bath or York than somewhere like Liverpool or Cardiff (but ultimately it doesn't matter as long as it's in the top 30).
(edited 8 years ago)

In general yes - there is a big difference between a good non-Russell group university like Bath and an institution near the bottom of the tables like London Met. But from the perspective of employers, I doubt there is much difference between e.g. Kent and Lancaster, regardless of where they are in the league tables.
Original post by MaskOfKeaton

To an extent - although it's much better to look by course rather than by overall university ranking. If it's a choice between a higher ranked university where you'll be miserable and a lower ranked uni where you'll be happy, go for the lower ranked one every time.

Also remember that many rankings are based on research, which isn't really relevant for undergraduates anyway.
Okay, thanks for the reply, it definitely is making me feel more confident about choosing the university I'd feel more happy at rather than letting the rankings decide. But I've quoted something you said in particular about researching a universities links to industry.

What industry are you thinking of going in to? See what links the university is advertising but it's also worth asking around elsewhere to get more information.
Reply 7

Although if the OP's university choices are ranked 15 and 20 (precise rankings are meaningless because they change slightly every year) then I don't know what the worry is. If a university's reputation is high then it doesn't matter whether it's in the Russell Group or not. I'd rather be at Bath or York than somewhere like Liverpool or Cardiff (but ultimately it doesn't matter as long as it's in the top 30).

Also, don't forget course rankings can be very different to general rankings.

Edit: @Puddles the Monkey beat me to it...
If it's a choice between a higher ranked university where you'll be miserable and a lower ranked uni where you'll be happy, go for the lower ranked one every time.

I'd rather go to a higher ranked university, be miserable for three years (which funnily enough I am) and come out with good prospects than go to a lower ranked one, have the time of my life and come out with lesser prospects.

But each to their own.

York is in the RG
I'd rather go to a higher ranked university, be miserable for three years (which funnily enough I am) and come out with good prospects than go to a lower ranked one, have the time of my life and come out with lesser prospects.

But each to their own.

If you're miserable and still likely to complete and get a good degree then you're lucky.

A lot of unhappy students end up either dropping out or struggling to do as well as they could on their course....never mind losing the motivation to get involved in extra curriculars or work experience activities.
But they do know which universities are Russel Group regardless of their ranking.

Very unlikely.

Most people studying or working in russell group universities couldn't pick all of them out of a list correctly.
Reply 12
Not going to a Russell Group is like paying 80 pounds for a white shirt with a brand name you've never heard on it.
Most Russell group uni students can't even name all of the RG unis without looking them up - heck, most would struggle to name even two thirds of them. What chance does an employer have? And as has been discussed on TSR before, there are many non-RG unis that exceed some or most RG unis in many areas.

As someone who has studied at both non-RG and RG unis (albeit both highly ranked), I can say that there is no real difference between them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
RG doesn't convey a "ranking", it's a lobbying group. It was established to represent its members' interests, principally to government and parliament. (wiki)

They themselves say "The aim of the organisation is to help ensure that our universities have the optimum conditions in which to flourish and continue to make social, economic and cultural impacts through their world-leading research and teaching."
http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/about/

Note that teaching is the last word in that sentence.

Some RGs are good, some not so much. Find the course you want, at a uni you like. That may be an RG one, or it might not.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Well the two universities I am referring to are Surrey and Sussex. There's not much difference between the overall rankings, but for my course (Computer Science) Surrey is considerably higher than Sussex.

Now I've visited Sussex before, and I love the city and from what I've heard from students the university itself is pretty good. On the other hand, I haven't been to Surrey but I've heard a lot of good things about the university and the teaching they provide. As for the city itself and the environment, it doesn't sound so great which scares me.

But each to their own.

Define 'good prospects'.
Reply 17
Well the two universities I am referring to are Surrey and Sussex. There's not much difference between the overall rankings, but for my course (Computer Science) Surrey is considerably higher than Sussex.

Now I've visited Sussex before, and I love the city and from what I've heard from students the university itself is pretty good. On the other hand, I haven't been to Surrey but I've heard a lot of good things about the university and the teaching they provide. As for the city itself and the environment, it doesn't sound so great which scares me.

The "city", Guildford, is actually a town (despite having a university AND a cathedral). It is pretty small but very nice. And very easy to travel up to London if you wanted to.

Why does it "scare" you?
(edited 8 years ago)

Well... I guess you need to decide what's more important to you :smile: Brighton is an amazing place to be, but at the end of the day your degree is going to be important for the rest of your life.

Student life is also a little different to regular life, it is very social so you will party and have fun wherever you are, even if there's less "structured" entertainment like clubs and bars or whatever. It's really what you make of it. I know that going into a degree three years sounds like forever, but it goes past so quickly and by your third year you'll be working hard and won't have as much free time to go out any way.

Remember your social life doesn't end after you graduate - you've got the rest of your twenties to live in crazy places and have fun. If you've got a job you'll have more money to enjoy it too.
OP, if you don't want to go into any of the following: corporate law, high end finance, journalism, strategy consulting or the bar - It's highly unlikely that university reputation will be used as a factor when shortlisiting candidates to interview.

I'll echo everyone else and say that yes, aim for the best university if you can but not at the expense of not enjoying the course or the environment. You'll be studying something somewhere for 3-4 years, make sure you can put up with both variables because if you can't, it's quite possible that you'll perform poorly and be unengaged with life outside of uni (i.e. the stuff that actually matters to employers).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending