The Student Room Group

Your gf/bf/wife/husband says no sex forever, will you stay with them?.

Scroll to see replies

I'd say it depends on the situation and the person... Sure, relationships aren't all about sex, but sex is an important part of a relationship. I for one, would become very suspicious if they just flat out said no sex forever and didn't give a reason. For that reason, I'd probably leave.
(edited 8 years ago)
your right, i dont
It depends on whether the reason was good enough. If it was, then the love I have for them alone should be enough to keep me happy. I may not be sexually fulfilled but I would be fulfilled emotionally. :smile:
It's easy to say you'll stay with them no problem, but think of the long term. Unless your sex drive drops so so low it might be a compromise you'll be able to brush off, but otherwise you will definitely crave some action, whether it be some physical love or just because we are sexual beings and we need to satisfy our urges. You might grow bitter towards the other person for not caring about your needs, from there on things can go off the rails into bad territory and there it goes.
nah i'm out
Original post by cosmic angel
It depends on whether the reason was good enough. If it was, then the love I have for them alone should be enough to keep me happy. I may not be sexually fulfilled but I would be fulfilled emotionally. :smile:

So do you think being fulfilled emotionally is more important than sexually?.
Yes , been with gf 4 years no sex - the prospect of sex isn't whats keeping me with her.

On the flipside sexually active couples are breaking up every week (from my experience).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 127
No I wouldn't stay with them. Let's a get real, a relationship without sex is just a friendship.
Reply 128
Original post by Oilfreak1
Yes , been with gf 4 years no sex - the prospect of sex isn't whats keeping me with her.

On the flipside sexually active couples are breaking up every week (from my experience).

What planet are you on mate? If you've been with your 'girlfriend' for 4 years and not had sex, she isn't your girlfriend, certainly not in a lover sense. She's nothing more than a platonic friend. That's weird and unnatural to be together so long and not had sex.
Original post by nk802
What planet are you on mate? If you've been with your 'girlfriend' for 4 years and not had sex, she isn't your girlfriend, certainly not in a lover sense. She's nothing more than a platonic friend. That's weird and unnatural to be together so long and not had sex.

I'm a Muslim, technically having a gf is forbidden but even worse is committing fornication - that is why we aren't having intercourse.

Our mothers know about us and while generally they disapprove of a relationship before marriage approve of us as a couple, her father knows mine doesn't he would approve our marriage. But I think it would be better for his ego if he believes it to be arranged by my mother (this is an asian, and not a Islamic thing).

I find it laughable that you think you need to have sex to have a gf/bf. I love her there's no one i'd rather spend the rest of my life with sex or no sex, shes mine and i'm hers in this life and the next. And i'm sure this applies to many couples regardless of beliefs.

I agree its weird to be together so long and not be married but I need to be financially independent before I take someones daughter away from her parents.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 130
I'm a Muslim, technically having a gf is forbidden but even worse is committing fornication - that is why we aren't having intercourse.

Fair enough if that's your belief, but religion tells people to suppress their natural sexual desires, which isn't healthy psychologically (Freud discussed this in detail).

I find it laughable that you think you need to have sex to have a gf/bf. I love her there's no one i'd rather spend the rest of my life with sex or no sex, shes mine and i'm hers in this life and the next. And i'm sure this applies to many couples regardless of beliefs.

I find it laughable that you think you're lovers or 'boyfriend and girlfriend' without any kind of sexual element to your relationships. The thing that separates a lover from a platonic friend is the sexual element. In reality you're simply close male and female platonic friends.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by nk802
Fair enough if that's your belief, but religion tells people to suppress their natural sexual desires, which isn't healthy psychologically (Freud discussed this in detail).

I find it laughable that you think you're lovers or 'boyfriend and girlfriend' without any kind of sexual element to your relationships. The thing that separates a lover from a platonic friend is the sexual element. In reality you're simply close male and female platonic friends.

Doesn't tell us to suppress natural sexual desires, rather to get married as soon as possible to satisfy these desires, something that isn't compatible with modern western society I guess. (what i'm personally doing is repression although I don't have huge sexual urges as is)

girlfriendˈɡəːlfrɛnd/noun

a person's regular female companion with whom they have a romantic or sexual relationship."he lives with his girlfriend"

If subjectively you feel we're simply close friends cool, but according to the definition of the word we are bf/gf (although i'd consider it something deeper personally as I am going to marry her as soon as I am financially independent). We are also considered a shining example of what a couple should be to our (non-muslim, sexually active) friends.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 132
Doesn't tell us to suppress natural sexual desires, rather to get married as soon as possible to satisfy these desires,

What happens if you get married, only to find you're not sexually compatible. If I was going to marry someone or commit to a long term, monogamous relationship, I'd want to find out whether we could satisfy each other sexually FIRST. You're taking a very big risk by getting married without finding out whether you're sexually compatible. That's why I disagree with the notion of 'no sex before marriage'.

girlfriendˈɡəːlfrɛnd/noun

a person's regular female companion with whom they have a romantic or sexual relationship."he lives with his girlfriend"

EXACTLY mate, you've just contradicted yourself! That definition states clearly that a girlfriend is someone you have a SEXUAL relationship with. You don't have a sexual relationship with her, therefore she's not your girlfriend! Not in the true definition of a girlfriend. As special as it may seem to you, it's still a glorified platonic friendship in my opinion.
Original post by nk802
What happens if you get married, only to find you're not sexually compatible. If I was going to marry someone or commit to a long term, monogamous relationship, I'd want to find out whether we could satisfy each other sexually FIRST. You're taking a very big risk by getting married without finding out whether you're sexually compatible. That's why I disagree with the notion of 'no sex before marriage'.

EXACTLY mate, you've just contradicted yourself! That definition states clearly that a girlfriend is someone you have a SEXUAL relationship with. You don't have a sexual relationship with her, therefore she's not your girlfriend! Not in the true definition of a girlfriend. As special as it may seem to you, it's still a glorified platonic friendship in my opinion.

sexual compatibility? is my penis going to be a square and my partners organ triangular =O AM I GONNA BREAK MY DICK IF WE AINT COMPATIBLE!!! :creep:. Seriously though there is chemistry between us, has been since we met. In addition to this we find each other aesthetically pleasing and both are physically fit (this can all be ascertained without sex for anyone and isn't exclusive to me), thus I don't feel the need to try before I buy.

how did I contradict myself? there was a clear distinction between romantic and sexual (even bolded it for you?).
(edited 8 years ago)
I feel sorry for the partners of the people on here who believe a relationship without sex is no different to a friendship. Please, I'd like to see you make out with your best friend and say it's platonic. And that's without even beginning to think about the emotional intimacy...
Original post by alkaline.
If it's not for cumming what else it is for? Yeah getting closer with your SO whatever whatever but the sole end purpose is to orgasm, I can't imagine how **** it would be to have sex n not even climax tf lol damn I hope I'm never one of those women : maybe they're just okay with it cause they're used to it ? :/

forgive me if all this sounds rude Af but can you please answer this? As a female even when you cum you still want to cum again and again and again and we can that's how awesome orgasming is I just don't understand how you can not cum and classify the event as finished,because surely you will keep wAnting to continue sex until an orgasm (or more) the feeling of wanting pleasure doesn't just disappear ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

do you not actually enjoy sex?

it can be plenty fun and enjoyable enough without the orgasm at the end of it, my 'goal' in sex is to feel good/enjoy it most of the time and that's not 100% dependent on orgasming
Me and my wife haven't had sex in over a year. Does that make our marriage invalid? By using this same logic??
I know this is a hypothetical question, but what ideology even proposes this scenario?
All religions say sex is acceptable within marriage, or if you do practise chastity then your partner has a right to divorce your partner which shouldn't happen as if your plan to practise chastity then you should avoid marriage.
Lastly, with holding sex is a form of abuse, so anyone doing this is most likely evil!!!!!!!
Original post by Holydude
I know this is a hypothetical question, but what ideology even proposes this scenario?
All religions say sex is acceptable within marriage, or if you do practise chastity then your partner has a right to divorce your partner which shouldn't happen as if your plan to practise chastity then you should avoid marriage.
Lastly, with holding sex is a form of abuse, so anyone doing this is most likely evil!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep2MAx95m20
I have no problem living with my bf or husband if he doesn't want sex at all and not just from me.:wink: I love that person and so would happily grow old beside him without having sex.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending