The Student Room Group

implicit differentiation

Hi guys,
I'm trying to find out dy/dx of the function on the attachment using implicit differentiation, apparently some of my answers to this have different sign that the text book answer i've done it over and over again but still can't find the stage that goes wrong in my working. would you please have a look at my working on the attachment and let me know if I'm wrong at a certain stage

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Alen.m
Hi guys,
I'm trying to find out dy/dx of the function on the attachment using implicit differentiation, apparently some of my answers to this have different sign that the text book answer i've done it over and over again but still can't find the stage that goes wrong in my working. would you please have a look at my working on the attachment and let me know if I'm wrong at a certain stage

1. This would be easier done if you factorised out cosy\cos y and used the product rule: cosy(cosx+sinx)=12\cos y(\cos x + \sin x) = \frac{1}{2}

2. I'm not sure where your first term is coming from? What have you differentiated to get cosx\cos x?
Hi, I cant open the image...
what exam board are you doing?
Reply 3
Original post by Alen.m

Given that I don't think what you're doing is currently right, I'll lead you down the right path:

cosy(cosx+sinx)=12\cos y(\cos x+ \sin x) = \frac{1}{2}.

Differentiate both sides w.r.t x:

ddx(cosy(cosx+sinx))=0\displaystyle \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}( \cos y (\cos x + \sin x)) = 0

Product rule on the LHS:

(cosx+sinx)ddx(cosy)+cosyddx(cosx+sinx)=0\displaystyle (\cos x + \sin x)\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}(\cos y) + \cos y\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}(\cos x + \sin x) = 0
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
1. This would be easier done if you factorised out cosy\cos y and used the product rule: cosy(cosx+sinx)=12\cos y(\cos x + \sin x) = \frac{1}{2}

2. I'm not sure where your first term is coming from? What have you differentiated to get cosx\cos x?

i actually used product rule for the d/dx cosy cos x as i've shown in the attachment
Reply 5
Original post by Student1408
Hi, I cant open the image...
what exam board are you doing?

AQA page 86 question 10 part b
Reply 6
Original post by Alen.m
i actually used product rule for the d/dx cosy cos x as i've shown in the attachment

cosysinydydx\cos y - \sin y \frac{dy}{dx} does not mean cos y multiplied by sin y multiplied by dy/dx. You'll need to include brackets to make that a multiplication. As it stand, that's a subtraction. :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
cosysinydydx\cos y - \sin y \frac{dy}{dx} does not mean cos y multiplied by sin y multiplied by dy/dx. You'll need to include brackets to make that a multiplication. As it stand, that's a subtraction. :tongue:

can't find cos y- sin y which part of it you mean?
Reply 8
Original post by Alen.m
Hi guys,

I said this sometime last week, you do not find dy/dx of a function.
Here you could find dy/dx by differentiating with respect to x and then rearranging the find dy/dx. But you do not find dy/dx of a function - it doesn't make sense.
Reply 9
Original post by B_9710
I said this sometime last week, you do not find dy/dx of a function.
Here you could find dy/dx by differentiating with respect to x and then rearranging the find dy/dx. But you do not find dy/dx of a function - it doesn't make sense.

im not trying to find dy/dx here . I'm trying to differentiate cos y cos x+ cos y sin x =1/2 using product rule and then rearrange to find dy/dx
Reply 10
Original post by Alen.m
im not trying to find dy/dx here . I'm trying to differentiate cos y cos x+ cos y sin x =1/2 using product rule and then rearrange to find dy/dx

To find dy/dx, so you are trying to find dy/dx.

ddx(cosycosx)=sinysinxdydx \displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} (\cos y \cos x)=\sin y \sin x \frac{dy}{dx} .
Reply 11
Original post by B_9710

ddx(cosycosx)=sinysinxdydx \displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} (\cos y \cos x)=\sin y \sin x \frac{dy}{dx} .

did you use product rule to find that?i use product rule but i keep getting wrong answer
Reply 12
Original post by B_9710

This is how i done it
Reply 13
Original post by Alen.m
did you use product rule to find that?i use product rule but i keep getting wrong answer

My mistake

ddx(cosycosx)=(cosxsiny)(dydx)sinxcosy \displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}(\cos y\cos x)=-(\cos x\sin y) \left (\frac{dy}{dx} \right ) -\sin x\cos y .
I forgot to add the last bit.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
image.jpegimage.jpeg
Original post by B_9710
My mistake

ddx(cosycosx)=(cosxsiny)(dydx)sinxcosy \displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}(\cos y\cos x)=-(\cos x\sin y) \left (\frac{dy}{dx} \right ) -\sin x\cos y .
I forgot to add the last bit.

I've managed to diffrentatiate the whole equation but when it comes to rearenging to find dy/dx i just cant get the same answer as what the text book says . I've attached the text book answer and also the whole diffrentation that needs to be rearenged but i just cant get the write answer
Reply 15
Original post by Zacken

I've managed to diffrentatiate the whole equation but when it comes to rearenging to find dy/dx i just cant get the same answer as what the text book says . I've attached the text book answer and also the whole diffrentation that needs to be rearenged but i just cant get the write answer
Attachment not found
image.jpeg
Original post by Alen.m
Attachment not found
image.jpeg

When you've completed the differentiation than you need to move everything that does not have DY/DX to the right hand side.

Factor out DY/DX and then divide the right hand side by whats in the brackets.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Alen.m
Attachment not found
image.jpeg

Just take terms not containing dy/dx to the other side of the equation. Then take out a factor of dy/dx.
Reply 18
Original post by B_9710
Just take terms not containing dy/dx to the other side of the equation. Then take out a factor of dy/dx.

well i know all of that but if you move (cos x- sin y dy/dx) to the other side, which sign will be changed like will it become -(cos x-sin y dy/dx)?
Reply 19
Original post by Alen.m
well i know all of that but if you move (cos x- sin y dy/dx) to the other side, which sign will be changed like will it become -(cos x-sin y dy/dx)?

Would it be beneficial for me to write it up on here?

Quick Reply

Latest