The Student Room Group

unconditional offer from uni which do not want to go to

I have received an unconditional offer from a uni which I don't want to go to. I have received a conditional offer from the uni I want to go to. People have told me that if I email the uni who has given me a conditional and tell them I've received an unconditional from another uni, they will lower the grade requirements. Is this true?
Reply 1
Reply 2
Anglia ruskin but don't wish to go there.
its worth a try
Original post by serena1
I have received an unconditional offer from a uni which I don't want to go to. I have received a conditional offer from the uni I want to go to. People have told me that if I email the uni who has given me a conditional and tell them I've received an unconditional from another uni, they will lower the grade requirements. Is this true?

I really doubt that's true if they wanted to give you an unconditional offer they would have given you one in the first place.
no it's not true. however, bare in mind that most entry requirements are inflated; universities are very likely to accept you even if you slip a grade or 2. check unistats if you don't believe me
Reply 6
Where on unistats does it show that?
Reply 7
Original post by GeologyMaths
It's true. Shut up if you dont believe it

?

I'm not saying it is, or isn't true. I'm asking the poster to source a link that states it on unistats, a government managed web site.

I know full well that some universities do this. And Reading for one has publicly announced a flexible offer (you can miss by 1 grade). http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35550788

But, yes, thanks for your input.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not too sure and that is the first I've heard of such a thing. You can always find out. It won't do you any harm in knowing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're attracting all the angry today!
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
You're attracting all the angry today!

Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
?

I'm not saying it is, or isn't true. I'm asking the poster to source a link that states it on unistats, a government managed web site.

I know full well that some universities do this. And Reading for one has publicly announced a flexible offer (you can miss by 1 grade). http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35550788

But, yes, thanks for your input.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not in the mood
Reply 12
Why did you apply then? :colonhash:
Reply 13
Original post by GeologyMaths
Not in the mood

I think a "mood" is exactly what you are in. Maybe go and have a nice walk in the fresh air.

Edit to add: and thanks for the rep @GeologyMaths :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Where on unistats does it show that?

look at the ucas points of the students in the data set compared to the entry requirements.
The grades accepted for entry in 2014 (ir 2013 and 2014 for small courses) do not reflect confirmation policy in 2016.
Reply 16
2% of Bristol & Nottingham Law students have less than 360 points (i.e. the typical offer AAA).
And looking at "flexible" Reading for History they have 23% below a 320 points equiv offer.

So "very likely" isn't exactly accurate.
(edited 8 years ago)
For my daughters physics offers both Nottingham (AAB, down from A*AA) and Sussex (ABB(AAA)) lowered their conditional offers if she firmed them.
Lancaster, Leeds & York did not (All AAA offers)

I doubt that Nottingham would allow any further slippage on her grades as a near miss but not sure about Sussex
Original post by serena1

As per another poster, if you do not want to go there then the Unconditional means nothing. I seriously doubt that your preferred university will moderate their offer based on somewhere else giving you an unconditional.

Quick Reply

Latest