The Student Room Group

implicit differentiation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alen.m
well i know all of that but if you move (cos x- sin y dy/dx) to the other side, which sign will be changed like will it become -(cos x-sin y dy/dx)?

I've attached my workings.

I think what's happened is you've confused your negative and positive signs. I would rewrite anything that looks like cosx-siny to -cosxsiny as it makes it clearer when doing the rest of your workings

You can do this because you know that multiplying a positive by a negative will give a negative answer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Excuse Me!
I've attached my workings.

I think what's happened is you've confused your negative and positive signs. I would rewrite anything that looks like cosx-siny to -cosxsiny as it makes it clearer when doing the rest of your workings

You can do this because you know that multiplying a positive by a negative will give a negative answer.

yeah that's exactly what my problem was but thanks for your working made it clear but don't you think cos y cos x should be positive before rearranging process starts?
Original post by Alen.m
yeah that's exactly what my problem was but thanks for your working made it clear but don't you think cos y cos x should be positive before rearranging process starts?

cosycosx comes from differentiating the product run cosysinx so yeah you're right.

I got equally muddled with my signs trying to write on small bits of paper but glad it makes sense
Reply 23
Original post by Excuse Me!
cosycosx comes from differentiating the product run cosysinx so yeah you're right.

I got equally muddled with my signs trying to write on small bits of paper but glad it makes sense

Yeah mate quite clear thanks
Original post by Alen.m
AQA page 86 question 10 part b

what year ?
Reply 25
Original post by Student1408
what year ?

It's a textbook question, not a past paper question.

Quick Reply

Latest