The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter and Engineering

Hi all,

I wonder if any of you know what the engineering department is like at Exeter? Its ranked reasonably highly (around 20) in the UK but I haven't been able to find much specifically on engineering.

Ta :smile:
Original post by robbor
Hi all,

I wonder if any of you know what the engineering department is like at Exeter? Its ranked reasonably highly (around 20) in the UK but I haven't been able to find much specifically on engineering.

Ta :smile:

My honest opinion after four years here. It's really not very good.

The range of content that you are taught is pretty decent, and there's been a lot of interesting topics covered during my time here, but the standard of teaching is pretty bad. They've gone down the route that a lot of people have, where they've filled their teaching staff with people who are incredibly intelligent and fantastic in their field but who either dislike teaching or are simply not capable of doing it well. The majority of my lecturers here have done nothing more than stand at the front of read from a powerpoint presentation, and a lot of them have clearly disliked interacting with students to the point where if you do have problems it's nigh on impossible to get them to even see you to give you some help with the material.

The facilities in the department are another area that is decent but not great, the workshops are alright although can get ridiculously busy at times and getting the machine that you need can be a nightmare, although they do have some cool CNC machinery that you'll get to play around with at times and the workshop staff are probably some of the most useful people in the department, almost all are really friendly and helpful.

From what I've heard from friends it does seem that Civil engineering is a bit better than this, the lecturers seem to be of a higher standard and everybody I know who does it has really enjoyed it.

However if you're planning on doing mechanical or electronic then I'd say that there are much better choices out there at a similar grade requirement.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by mackemforever
My honest opinion after four years here. It's really not very good.

The range of content that you are taught is pretty decent, and there's been a lot of interesting topics covered during my time here, but the standard of teaching is pretty bad. They've gone down the route that a lot of people have, where they've filled their teaching staff with people who are incredibly intelligent and fantastic in their field but who either dislike teaching or are simply not capable of doing it well. The majority of my lecturers here have done nothing more than stand at the front of read from a powerpoint presentation, and a lot of them have clearly disliked interacting with students to the point where if you do have problems it's nigh on impossible to get them to even see you to give you some help with the material.

The facilities in the department are another area that is decent but not great, the workshops are alright although can get ridiculously busy at times and getting the machine that you need can be a nightmare, although they do have some cool CNC machinery that you'll get to play around with at times and the workshop staff are probably some of the most useful people in the department, almost all are really friendly and helpful.

From what I've heard from friends it does seem that Civil engineering is a bit better than this, the lecturers seem to be of a higher standard and everybody I know who does it has really enjoyed it.

However if you're planning on doing mechanical or electronic then I'd say that there are much better choices out there at a similar grade requirement.

Thanks mackemforever, Exeter was actually the highest ranking university I've applied for. The other university i'm considering is Plymouth, what advice would you give for those two places?
Original post by robbor
Thanks mackemforever, Exeter was actually the highest ranking university I've applied for. The other university i'm considering is Plymouth, what advice would you give for those two places?

Well I can't exactly give an opinion on Plymouth as I don't study there!

All I can give you is what I already have, my opinion of the department at Exeter.
Reply 4
Original post by mackemforever
Well I can't exactly give an opinion on Plymouth as I don't study there!

All I can give you is what I already have, my opinion of the department at Exeter.

That is very true :tongue: Thank you!

Quick Reply