The Student Room Group

Any advice for mental health job?

😊 Due to start working on a psychiatric ward and am nervous (but excited too) and not entirely sure what to expect. I'm not hugely experienced right now but eager to learn. Does anybody have any tips or experiences to share ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Hello,

I know this post is a couple of weeks old now, but how are you doing? Have you started your job yet?

What kind of hospital/ward will you be working in, and what is your role, to see if there's any more specific advice or suggestions people can give?
Thanks for replying! I'm still waiting to be declared fit by occupational health and presumably attend some training sessions then hopefully I'll get a start date! I'll be a health care assistant on an acute male ward 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Liv1204
Hello,

I know this post is a couple of weeks old now, but how are you doing? Have you started your job yet?

What kind of hospital/ward will you be working in, and what is your role, to see if there's any more specific advice or suggestions people can give?

Heya, I've started now! Only two weeks ago! It's been really scary so far (not the patients just the whole experience) I can't tell if I enjoy it yet!

If anyone else works or has worked in mental health I'd love any tips or stories from you. I'm finding it so nerve wracking

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I was really nervous too when I began working in Mental Health. I lack confidence, which was pretty obvious when you laid eyes on me, which my colleagues seemed to find amusing. Exactly what you want from your team, right?! How is your team? What in particular do you think you are finding nerve-wracking? I used to be slightly afraid when patients would become aggressive but hopefully it's something you become used to in a positive way. It's been a while since your posts, so how are you getting on now? Hope all is well! x
Original post by Little Old Me
Hi,

I was really nervous too when I began working in Mental Health. I lack confidence, which was pretty obvious when you laid eyes on me, which my colleagues seemed to find amusing. Exactly what you want from your team, right?! How is your team? What in particular do you think you are finding nerve-wracking? I used to be slightly afraid when patients would become aggressive but hopefully it's something you become used to in a positive way. It's been a while since your posts, so how are you getting on now? Hope all is well! x

Hi! Aww thanks so much for checking up on me you're so sweet! Oh I know exactly what you mean! I lack confidence too and I guess it's the kind of environment where you feel totally exposed. But maybe it can actually help build your confidence and resilience in the long run? I've definitely put myself right in the eye of the storm and TOTALLY out of my comfort zone. So I'm pretty proud of myself for that!

Job wise I'm loving it, but I'm a bit upset with how some of the staff have been toward me. On the first week they pretty much ignored me and gave me nothing to do - I felt so awkward and didn't know where to stand or what to do with myself!
I get they were busy and it wasn't intentional but I feel like you need to welcome a newbie, especially in that kind of environment when they've never done a job like that before! So a bit more support and guidance would've been nice. I was too nervous to even ask questions! Things have got a bit better now but I'm still struggling with some of the staff - I'm trying to force myself to be assertive and ask questions. I do find some of them quite cold and unfriendly. Also quite often you don't even get given a lunch break or even 5 mins off the ward for a breather! I haven't been given an induction or any training and I was only given a tour of the hospital yesterday after I asked for one! It's all a bit disorganised! 🙈

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply