The Student Room Group

american highschools put us to SHAME

5:36
[video="youtube_share;IrvR73bPb6U"]http://youtu.be/IrvR73bPb6U?t=356[/video]

this is fairly standard practice in america, most schools will have kids who can squat 4+ plates for reps

its no wonder they dominate in the olympics

why doesnt the UK emphasise athleticism like this for younger people?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This isn't so healthy during development ( High school period ) of young or non adults as it can stunt growth and development
Original post by Keren1998
This isn't so healthy during development ( High school period ) of young or non adults as it can stunt growth and development

never post garbage like this ever again

you just stated one of the oldest myths in weight training that has been debunked
Original post by Straighthate

this is fairly standard practice in america, most schools will have kids who can squat 4+ plates for reps

I doubt that.

why doesnt the UK emphasise athleticism like this for younger people?

Because America's obsession with HS football is creepy as ****.
You suggest a country of our population should be competing with the US in the Olympics? We already punch above our weight, but not to the extent that Australia do. So maybe we should be like them. But alas our climate means that can't happen.
Original post by SmashConcept
I doubt that.

its normal, trust me
especially considering they start weight training at 12/13 by the time they are 18 thats expected, factor in some of them being on gear and it isnt very far fetched
While people may argue the US highschool system wins in athletics..

Noone can argue that the UK highschool system is academically inferior..
Original post by Student403

Well obviously, since highschools dont exist in the UK

i wasnt talking about academics
and why would that necessarily be negatively impacted by athletics training?
Reply 9
in weights?!!

C'mon, that guy clearly would ace STEP.
I doubt that.

Its the oldest and most obvious myth that squats stunts growth. If done correctly it promotes growth actually
Original post by TeeEm
in weights?!!

this is a leap of faith here
but this is thread is in the fitness section

:doh:
its normal, trust me
especially considering they start weight training at 12/13 by the time they are 18 thats expected, factor in some of them being on gear and it isnt very far fetched

Why should I trust you about what is standard at "most" American high schools???

These kids, while more numerous than you might expect, are still outliers in the scheme of thngs.

Original post by Mentally
Its the oldest and most obvious myth that squats stunts growth. If done correctly it promotes growth actually

Why are you quoting me and saying this??
Why should I trust you about what is standard at "most" American high schools???

These kids, while more numerous than you might expect, are still outliers in the scheme of thngs.

they arent outliers because almost every school has people putting up those kinds of weights

just go on the misc, alot of them played highschool football and can vouch that its fairly normal that after 5 years of lifting weights people they knew on the team could put those kinds of numbers up

why do you doubt the validity?
5 years of strength training and you should be able to squat 4 plates, everyone i know that has been training for that long can hit that kind of weight on the squat

how strong would you expect most people to be after 5+ years of weight training?
(edited 8 years ago)
they arent outliers because almost every school has people putting up those kinds of weightsNo they don't lol. Maybe you can argue that most big football programs have players that would be capable of squatting 4+ plates. Not most schools in general.

just go on the misc, alot of them played highschool football and can vouch that its fairly normal that after 5 years of lifting weights they can put those kinds of numbers up

I have other ways of talking to people who have been through HS football programs than a terrible bodybuilding forum lmfao. Selection bias much??
We don't encourage competition

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know you meant that the US high schools outshine the UKs athletically (weight wise) but think of it like this. There is no standard for sex ed in American high schools, which is a big deal. The strong religious aspect of the US can lead to pretty stupid things.
No they don't lol. Maybe you can argue that most big football programs have players that would be capable of squatting 4+ plates. Not most schools in general.

I have other ways of talking to people who have been through HS football programs than a terrible bodybuilding forum lmfao. Selection bias much??

so how many people do you know that played high school football then and what makes their claims more valid?
so how many people do you know that played high school football

I don't know, I'm more talking about people who coached.

then and what makes their claims more valid?

The fact that they're not miscers???

Quick Reply

Latest