The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

@Zacken @Euclidean

Any more hard/interesting questions then? :wink:
When I see a person helping out someone with their Maths problem...

Original post by BBeyond
@Zacken @Euclidean

I'll think up some when I get home. :-)
Original post by BBeyond
@Zacken @Euclidean

Try solving this:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*} \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} + 4xe^{-x^2}\sqrt{y+3} = 0\end{equation*}

subject to the conditions x0x \geq 0 and that y=6y=6 when x=0x=0. Express your solution in the form y=f(x)y = f(x) and find limxy\lim_{x \to \infty} y.
Original post by Zacken
Try solving this:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*} \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} + 4xe^{-x^2}\sqrt{y+3} = 0\end{equation*}

subject to the conditions x0x \geq 0 and that y=6y=6 when x=0x=0. Express your solution in the form y=f(x)y = f(x) and find limxy\lim_{x \to \infty} y.

I'll try after my dinner, cheers!
Original post by BBeyond
I'll try after my dinner, cheers!

Bon appetit.
Original post by Zacken
Try solving this:

Kinda rushed this as I have a few things to do, so there may be a mistake somewhere :rofl:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by edothero
Kinda rushed this as I have a few things to do, so there may be a mistake somewhere :rofl:

Yeaaah. It's y+3y+3 but you seem to have switched to y3y-3 half way through which gets you ugly ass square roots. :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
Yeaaah. It's y+3y+3 but you seem to have switched to y3y-3 half way through which gets you ugly ass square roots. :tongue:

Oh ffs

There we go, I've changed it :colondollar:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Try solving this:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
[Awesome work]

All correct. Now what's limxy\lim_{x \to \infty} y?
Original post by BBeyond

All correct, both of you. Good work, too bad we're only warming up. Let's get to the meaty bit: Let yy be any solution to:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} - xe^{6x^2}(y+3)^{1-k} = 0 \quad (x\geq 0)\end{equation(}

Find a kk such that we have e3x2ye^{-3x^2}y tending to a finite non-zero limit that you should determine as xx \to \infty.
Original post by Zacken
All correct. Now what's limxy\lim_{x \to \infty} y?

As x tends to infinity, e^x tends to 0, as we end up with e2x2+4ex2+1e^{-2x^{2}} + 4e^{-x^{2}} + 1 then limxy\lim_{x \to \infty} y would = 1 ?
Is this the right way of going about that?
As x tends to infinity, e^x tends to 0, as we end up with e2x2+4ex2+1e^{-2x^{2}} + 4e^{-x^{2}} + 1 then limxy\lim_{x \to \infty} y would = 1 ?
Is this the right way of going about that?

Yep, you needn't expand though: xex20y(0+2)23=223=43=1x \to \infty \Rightarrow e^{-x^2} \to 0 \Rightarrow y \to (0+2)^2 - 3 = 2^2 - 3 = 4-3=1.
Original post by Zacken
Yep, you needn't expand though: xex20y(0+2)23=223=43=1x \to \infty \Rightarrow e^{-x^2} \to 0 \Rightarrow y \to (0+2)^2 - 3 = 2^2 - 3 = 4-3=1.

Ah yes makes more sense :biggrin: I'll attempt that second question later tonight after revision. Seems tough!
Original post by Zacken

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*}\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} - xe^{6x^2}(y+3)^{1-k} = 0 \quad (x\geq 0)\end{equation(}

Find a kk such that we have e3x2ye^{-3x^2}y tending to a finite non-zero limit that you should determine as xx \to \infty.

I think it's time you give me a hint :biggrin:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Do the obvious thing: isolate, multiply both sides by what you want, simplify. Look at limits.

Spoiler

That's about as far as I made it as well ahahah
Original post by Zacken
Do the obvious thing: isolate, multiply both sides by what you want, simplify. Look at limits.

Not getting anywhere I'm afraid :colonhash:
Not getting anywhere I'm afraid :colonhash:

I'm in bed now, will put up a solution in the morning. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending