The Student Room Group

grades

i dont understand how some people get amazing grades when they put less effort in for example i know a lot of people who get grades like A in AS and they have social life and then when i revise and work hard i dont get the grades i deserve. can someone explain why or give a solution to this problem? or those people just naturally smart?
Original post by vinkitad
i dont understand how some people get amazing grades when they put less effort in for example i know a lot of people who get grades like A in AS and they have social life and then when i revise and work hard i dont get the grades i deserve. can someone explain why or give a solution to this problem? or those people just naturally smart?

One does not 'deserve' a good grade simply because you 'work hard'.
Reply 2
Original post by zetamcfc
One does not 'deserve' a good grade simply because you 'work hard'.

so am i not meant to work hard or?
so am i not meant to work hard or?

You need to work hard, then you demonstrate you understand the course by giving the correct answers in your exam.
Reply 4
Original post by zetamcfc
You need to work hard, then you demonstrate you understand the course by giving the correct answers in your exam.

i do that in subjects such as bio and geography but when it comes to chemistry it just doesn't work

I somewhat understand what you mean, I flunked my English mock and got a C, not the end of the world but it wasn't what I was expecting because I've been doing well throughout the year (18-22/25 for my essays) and I don't think it's working hard I think everything comes down to ticking boxes for the examiner which stagnates creativity but I guess it's how the cookie crumbles
i do that in subjects such as bio and geography but when it comes to chemistry it just doesn't work

Then you need to try a different method to understand the content.

i have the same problem as you and actually what the real underlying factor here is DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE MATERIAL WELL? if you do that's fine you can answer exam questions etc and you'll be fine. Working hard means that you want to try and understand the material better but as long as you don't understand, you have to work longer and longer to understand what you need to. i mean in my grades i worked harder and my grades decreased and ppl laughed at me for that >.>
Yes, for some people it comes naturally for them. I've been working my ass off to keep myself at an A* level, while this guy in my class never revises or studies and he gets them every time. EVERY TIME. It really annoys me! To your other question/query yes, I suppose it can be explained. It can be to do with genes, your environment, your social group, and the way you've been brought up. To make sure you get your grades up, I think the most important thing is finding your own effective way for revising. For ages I wrote all the notes down in lessons, I mean page after page, and then would read through them. This did nothing for me. I now find if I wrote loads of notes in lessons, then go home and find the key information that I need to know and make that into a flash cards; For me, this is the BEST way to revise. I'm also a A-level science student (Biology, Chemistry and Physics) and this has helped me go from an E grade to an A*. But as I said, finding what works for you is best (you may find flashcards ineffective) but just experiment with different techniques and talk to your teachers.

Hope this helps.
Reply 9
Original post by Nursesforever2
Yes, for some people it comes naturally for them. I've been working my ass off to keep myself at an A* level, while this guy in my class never revises or studies and he gets them every time. EVERY TIME. It really annoys me! To your other question/query yes, I suppose it can be explained. It can be to do with genes, your environment, your social group, and the way you've been brought up. To make sure you get your grades up, I think the most important thing is finding your own effective way for revising. For ages I wrote all the notes down in lessons, I mean page after page, and then would read through them. This did nothing for me. I now find if I wrote loads of notes in lessons, then go home and find the key information that I need to know and make that into a flash cards; For me, this is the BEST way to revise. I'm also a A-level science student (Biology, Chemistry and Physics) and this has helped me go from an E grade to an A*. But as I said, finding what works for you is best (you may find flashcards ineffective) but just experiment with different techniques and talk to your teachers.

Hope this helps.

OMG thankyou so much that actually helps
Reply 10
Original post by thefatone
i have the same problem as you and actually what the real underlying factor here is DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE MATERIAL WELL? if you do that's fine you can answer exam questions etc and you'll be fine. Working hard means that you want to try and understand the material better but as long as you don't understand, you have to work longer and longer to understand what you need to. i mean in my grades i worked harder and my grades decreased and ppl laughed at me for that >.>

i understand what you mean now, thankyou so much

Quick Reply

Latest