The Student Room Group

Why do women use men for Money

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joecphillips
I won't however I will point out that what is said by the main surveys the most equal country's have less women in stem fields than others such as India

Hmm dont know why that would be. Please could you send me a link to the survey? Just so I can see for myself if it's credible (can't believe everything you see on the Internet)
Because weak men are happy to let them.
Reply 62
Original post by DotDotDot...
Hmm dont know why that would be. Please could you send me a link to the survey? Just so I can see for myself if it's credible (can't believe everything you see on the Internet)

I was wrong about India.
Argentina, Bolivia and others do however have more female researchers.

http://www.uis.unesco.org/ScienceTechnology/Pages/women-in-science-leaky-pipeline-data-viz.aspx
Original post by ivy.98
natural selection innit

These guys think they actually have a chance without a lambo lol just lol!
yeah but here's the thing: sex is costless. money isn't. it's not nearly the same thing. i you think it is there's something seriously wrong with you :lol: because it implies women don't enjoy sex.
I was wrong about India.
Argentina, Bolivia and others do however have more female researchers.

http://www.uis.unesco.org/ScienceTechnology/Pages/women-in-science-leaky-pipeline-data-viz.aspx

Those are some quite surprising results - I guess I always thought western countries were more advanced in terms of gender equality so clearly my preconceptions of some of these countries are quite wrong. However I also looked at a website comparing gender equality in different countries and found that largely the results tied in with each other here's the two links I used:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-34808717
http://www.uis.unesco.org/ScienceTechnology/Documents/fs34-2015-women%20in%20science-en.pdf
Reply 66
Original post by SAhm95
These guys think they actually have a chance without a lambo lol just lol!

IKR?! fam just move, i dont even wanna waste my breath on you
Reply 67
Those are some quite surprising results - I guess I always thought western countries were more advanced in terms of gender equality so clearly my preconceptions of some of these countries are quite wrong. However I also looked at a website comparing gender equality in different countries and found that largely the results tied in with each other here's the two links I used:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-34808717
http://www.uis.unesco.org/ScienceTechnology/Documents/fs34-2015-women%20in%20science-en.pdf

A problem I see with the bbc link is that it focuses on equality of results and says thing like
"Did you know that in the US, women on average work around two months for free each year compared with men?"
I prefer to look at equality of opportunity instead it looks at raw data without looking deeper which can cause problems
A problem I see with the bbc link is that it focuses on equality of results and says thing like
"Did you know that in the US, women on average work around two months for free each year compared with men?"
I prefer to look at equality of opportunity instead it looks at raw data without looking deeper which can cause problems

It's good for comparisons sake though because raw data is rarely biased either way as long as it's based on situations with reasonably similar variables (which I think this one is). I think we just have to infer the reasons for the data ourselves and since all the variables other than gender are controlled (such as wealth and amount of time spent working) and since men and women at birth are equal in mental capacity then the only reason I can see for this significant gap is lack of opportunity/encouragement of women in high paying jobs resulting from a still present (although decreasing) sexism in the job market.
Reply 69
I'm broke so aint no girl using me looool
Reply 70
It's good for comparisons sake though because raw data is rarely biased either way as long as it's based on situations with reasonably similar variables (which I think this one is). I think we just have to infer the reasons for the data ourselves and since all the variables other than gender are controlled (such as wealth and amount of time spent working) and since men and women at birth are equal in mental capacity then the only reason I can see for this significant gap is lack of opportunity/encouragement of women in high paying jobs resulting from a still present (although decreasing) sexism in the job market.

There are actually scientific difference between men and women which contribute to any difference.
Because they grew up not having nice things so when its there practically handed to them they take it. That could be one of the reasons along with why spend mine when I can spend yours. They like the idea of a man taking care of them for a change.
There are actually scientific difference between men and women which contribute to any difference.

Not in brain power surely?
Reply 73
Not in brain power surely?

Not in brain power but differences in cognitive task and problem solving.
Not in brain power but differences in cognitive task and problem solving.

That could also be due to upbringing though don't you think? The ways in which different genders are taught to approach things. Plus i don't think that men are naturally more suited to doing more highly skilled (and highly paid) jobs even if there are slight differences in temperament or problem solving, I think there is something more influential there.
Reply 75
That could also be due to upbringing though don't you think? The ways in which different genders are taught to approach things. Plus i don't think that men are naturally more suited to doing more highly skilled (and highly paid) jobs even if there are slight differences in temperament or problem solving, I think there is something more influential there.

There have been studies conducted on 3/4 year olds showing that
"boys were better at targeting and at mentally rotating figures within a clock face than girls of the same age were. Prepubescent girls, however, excelled at recalling lists of words."
There have also been studies on younger children which showed a differences
There have been studies conducted on 3/4 year olds showing that
"boys were better at targeting and at mentally rotating figures within a clock face than girls of the same age were. Prepubescent girls, however, excelled at recalling lists of words."
There have also been studies on younger children which showed a differences

Maybe there are differences then, although remember that difference in upbringing starts very young for example boys receiving toys which encourage them to explore and create eg Lego and girls getting toys which encourage them to, well, dress things up. Even so, isn't it girls that get better grades at school generally? Which should lead to more girls in academia but for some reason doesn't. I think the differences in the brains tend to balance out, boys maybe have a natural tendency towards one thing and girls towards another however I do believe very little in 'natural ability' and think that nurture rather than nature plays a bigger part in deciding career paths. Also generalisation is dangerous and if the difference is only very small there will be many that defy these expectations but will be unable to access the opportunities because of the presumption that they are suited to specific tasks assigned by gender.
Reply 77
Maybe there are differences then, although remember that difference in upbringing starts very young for example boys receiving toys which encourage them to explore and create eg Lego and girls getting toys which encourage them to, well, dress things up. Even so, isn't it girls that get better grades at school generally? Which should lead to more girls in academia but for some reason doesn't. I think the differences in the brains tend to balance out, boys maybe have a natural tendency towards one thing and girls towards another however I do believe very little in 'natural ability' and think that nurture rather than nature plays a bigger part in deciding career paths. Also generalisation is dangerous and if the difference is only very small there will be many that defy these expectations but will be unable to access the opportunities because of the presumption that they are suited to specific tasks assigned by gender.

I have heard that there have been studies on children a few weeks old showing differences but I haven't seen the results personal and studies with animals showing differences between sexes.

Girls do tend to get better grades but they also tend to get marked up whereas boys get marked down. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-31751672

Men tend to have a bigger variance in iq meaning that they are more likely to be in the top 2% or the bottom 2% which will effect academia http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/3307914/Men-either-very-clever-or-really-stupid.html

I agree they are not huge differences and should not be relied on for everything but these things should be considered as well when looking at differences between the sexes as they can make a difference.
I have heard that there have been studies on children a few weeks old showing differences but I haven't seen the results personal and studies with animals showing differences between sexes.

Girls do tend to get better grades but they also tend to get marked up whereas boys get marked down. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-31751672

Men tend to have a bigger variance in iq meaning that they are more likely to be in the top 2% or the bottom 2% which will effect academia http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/3307914/Men-either-very-clever-or-really-stupid.html

I agree they are not huge differences and should not be relied on for everything but these things should be considered as well when looking at differences between the sexes as they can make a difference.

Yes there are differences and that probably has an impact on life decisions but when all employees see is your grades, which with girls tend to be higher (not because of gender bias because examiners don't know your gender), and your appearance, (and possible work experience but I presume that's pretty similar) then why do men seem to get hired many more times than women and at a higher wage? I admit there are many different factors in this but I do think that ingrained sexism (based on studies of the brain or not) does play a bigger part in employment than is normally given credit for because when you take away all the other variables and gender is the only difference then I think there is no other explanation.
Reply 79
Yes there are differences and that probably has an impact on life decisions but when all employees see is your grades, which with girls tend to be higher (not because of gender bias because examiners don't know your gender), and your appearance, (and possible work experience but I presume that's pretty similar) then why do men seem to get hired many more times than women and at a higher wage? I admit there are many different factors in this but I do think that ingrained sexism (based on studies of the brain or not) does play a bigger part in employment than is normally given credit for because when you take away all the other variables and gender is the only difference then I think there is no other explanation.

Do you have proof of men getting hired many more times than women? I haven't seen any evidence of this and it seems like confirmation bias but I do not know either way.
There was a study that suggests in stem fields women are 2:1 more likely to get the job.
http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2015/04/women-preferred-21-over-men-stem-faculty-positions

Men are more likely to negotiate more which will inevitably lead to them getting a higher wage.
http://www.businessinsider.com/gender-differences-in-salary-negotiation-2013-11?IR=T
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending