The Student Room Group

What shall I do about a cheater?

A couple of days ago we were doing our French controlled assessment (writing) and I saw a student in my class cheating by looking at their draft copy on their phone. They did not get caught.What shall I do? I think I'm the only one that knows about it and they may know it was me that told the teacher they cheated. Shall I report it or ignore it? If I do report it, will they even be disqualified/whatever because the teacher does not have any evidence apart from my word?

Scroll to see replies

don't bother because you can't really prove that the student was cheating...
Reply 2
Don't be a snake
snitches get stitches
Original post by BULL14
Don't be a snake

Original post by defenestrated
snitches get stitches

I should let someone that cheated and put no effort in get an A* whilst another student tries very hard and gets an A*/A?
Original post by throwawayayay
I should let someone that cheated and put no effort in get an A* whilst another student tries very hard and gets an A*/A?

Are u the exam police? Exams are all about getting the grades, period. If he chose to think with his balls and cheat then so be it, what grade he gets has literally NO effect on you
Original post by GreenOut
Are u the exam police? Exams are all about getting the grades fairly?, period. If he chose to think with his balls and cheat then so be it, what grade he gets has literally NO effect on you

maybe? There's a reason why it's a controlled assessment..
maybe? There's a reason why it's a controlled assessment..

It is fair, you could've also cheated.... but u chose not to? He was just willing to take the risk
(edited 8 years ago)
It is fair, you could've also cheated.... but u chose not to? He was just willing to take the risk

why do you think it's a male? sounds like you're talking from experience as well :ashamed:
(edited 8 years ago)
A couple of days ago we were doing our French controlled assessment (writing) and I saw a student in my class cheating by looking at their draft copy on their phone. They did not get caught.What shall I do? I think I'm the only one that knows about it and they may know it was me that told the teacher they cheated. Shall I report it or ignore it? If I do report it, will they even be disqualified/whatever because the teacher does not have any evidence apart from my word?

No point tbh, you've got no proof. And why snake anyway
it's annoying I know, someone cheated blatantly in a maths GCSE exam talking to people and looking obviously (to me) at someone's paper. Though honestly, it's not worth the stress for you, it should stick on their conscience that they don't deserve what they got and it'll just be a load of hassle if you got involved. Especially with no proof, innocent until proven guilty and if you have no proof to make sure they're not innocent then it might end badly for you.
Inform the exam board. Provide the details of the candidate who cheated, including their Admission Number, UCI, ULN and Candidate Number - don't forget the Centre Name and Centre ID. Make this request via your teacher; they'll provide all of the details aforementioned above when the cheating candidate gets referred. YOU MUST REPORT THEM.

Personally I've always told on cheaters and (severe) rule breakers. I couldn't care less whether other people think that that is somehow morally reprehensible, as logically speaking it is exactly the opposite. I am disgusted by people who think they can get an excellent mark without putting any personal effort into it. It shows nothing but lack of character and disrespect for the genuine achievements of others.

If I were you I'd let the instructor know, just so he/she can keep a closer eye on the cheater next time. That way the person in question will also not suspect that you were behind it, if that is something you wish to avoid.

That is some seriously flawed logic right there. The rules are the rules and if you break them (in this case cheat) you are inevitably in the wrong. There is no justification for taking the risk, in this case.
Reply 13
Nah man, don't get included, in the end nobody is gonna care what grade he got, you should only be bothered about your own grade.
Are u the exam police? Exams are all about getting the grades, period. If he chose to think with his balls and cheat then so be it, what grade he gets has literally NO effect on you

incorrect.
grade boundaries are determined by how people perform on assessments. if people cheat, they unfairly achieve more marks and hence it pushes up the grade boundaries.
cheating should be discouraged and op should report the cheater.
/end
Reply 15
Just a shout out to all those who've said "why snitch" or "it doesn't have an effect on you" nonsense, have you no brain? It's a flipping exam for goodness sake, there are serious consequences for cheating, and theres a reason for that. By letting this person get away with it, you are indirectly encouraging it. If I were you, I would let the teacher know, because it is unfair and just disgusting behaviour. However, of course, your only problem is that you've got no actual proof, so just let the teacher know, but don't force any decision onto them (if that makes any sense). Ugh, sorry I just hate cheaters.
Snitches get stitches.
Thank you for all of the genuine replies (not ones such as 'why snitch'). I have checked the AQA malpractice website, and it says:

"You must be aware that information supplied anonymously cannot be used as evidence. However, such information can form the basis of, or give probable cause for, an investigation. In order to support any potential investigation it is better if you supply all the information you have at one time, rather than add information later, if possible.

To help us investigate effectively, we need as much information as possible about the incident. This includes: what the malpractice was, who perpetrated it, who benefited from it, when it took place, where, and who, if anyone, may have witnessed it taking place, if appropriate."

It seems that if I do tell my teacher, they won't be able to do anything apart from keep an eye on them for the next exam (however I think we have finished all of our written CA's).
Original post by dean01234
Snitches get stitches.

Don't contribute if your input is useless
Reply 19
Nothing, karma will bite their ass for you

Quick Reply

Latest