The Student Room Group

[Trigger warning] Someone to talk to

Hi, I have browsed on this forum a few times in the past but only just created an account and this is my first post. I am currently an inpatient at Camhs having been referred there after this

2013 - Decided to take up running as a hobby
2014 - Hospitalised with weight loss after combination of too much exercise and viruses. Weight restored to 55kg on Ensure Plus shakes and was 48 on hospitalisation.
2015 - Began running again most days and because I was bored with exam over in the summer I began walking as well. I joined a gym in October of 2015 and only ever used the treadmill for thirty minutes a day but this became part of a routine and I felt as though I had to get that fix and if I had the time later on (due to being bored) then I would go out again for a walk. When walking I would usually go out for 2-3 miles
2016 - Weight dropped to 41kg in approximately a year from 55kg represcribed ensure plus shakes and cut out all physical activity but still could not gain weight and I told the go that I was almost addicted to walking and running
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 062910585
Hi, I have browsed on this forum a few times in the past but only just created an account and this is my first post. I am currently an inpatient at Camhs having been referred there after this

2013 - Decided to take up running as a hobby
2014 - Hospitalised with weight loss after combination of too much exercise and viruses. Weight restored to 55kg on Ensure Plus shakes and was 48 on hospitalisation.
2015 - Began running again most days and because I was bored with exam over in the summer I began walking as well. I joined a gym in October of 2015 and only ever used the treadmill for thirty minutes a day but this became part of a routine and I felt as though I had to get that fix and if I had the time later on (due to being bored) then I would go out again for a walk. When walking I would usually go out for 2-3 miles
2016 - Weight dropped to 41kg in approximately a year from 55kg represcribed ensure plus shakes and cut out all physical activity but still could not gain weight and I told the go that I was almost addicted to walking and running

I feel you. The fluctuations between illness and on the road to recovery are so hard to deal with. The relapses and inability to maintain consistency in the quest to recovery also make you feel at the peril of your ED. but you are not I promise you. You just have to fight the demon!

Feel free to PM me whenever as I'm a recovered bulimic.
Reply 2
The thing is though is that I have never thought that I have had an ED - In fact I still ate loads and did not restrict anything but was losing weight purely as I was way too active and could not find anything else to do outside of studying. I had no intentions to lose weight and never noticed the damage that I was doing to my body as I never paid attention to body image and was just enjoying exercise. So I certainly was overexercising but not for the reasons that most might think. My weight has been restored to 52kg so far and my height is 1.7 metres and has been all of this time. I had been struggling to focus at school and have suffered with leg cramps due to my condition but Camhs is teaching me to be restful which I am doing on my own now although it is uncomfortable to sit which results in me standing a lot but again not for the reasons that most people think. I am hoping to be discharged soon so that I can sit my exams and if not I will have to do them in the hospital and any of those involving coursework I will not be able to sit if I do not get out soon (the next couple of weeks) I have been managing all of my meal plan as well which was never going to be a problem as it is staying restful which is hard.
Original post by 062910585
The thing is though is that I have never thought that I have had an ED - In fact I still ate loads and did not restrict anything but was losing weight purely as I was way too active and could not find anything else to do outside of studying. I had no intentions to lose weight and never noticed the damage that I was doing to my body as I never paid attention to body image and was just enjoying exercise. So I certainly was overexercising but not for the reasons that most might think. My weight has been restored to 52kg so far and my height is 1.7 metres and has been all of this time. I had been struggling to focus at school and have suffered with leg cramps due to my condition but Camhs is teaching me to be restful which I am doing on my own now although it is uncomfortable to sit which results in me standing a lot but again not for the reasons that most people think. I am hoping to be discharged soon so that I can sit my exams and if not I will have to do them in the hospital and any of those involving coursework I will not be able to sit if I do not get out soon (the next couple of weeks) I have been managing all of my meal plan as well which was never going to be a problem as it is staying restful which is hard.

Awwww. So you're in hospital right now? :hugs: my heart goes out to you and keep fighting ! Don't worry about extra pressure of coursework and focus on getting better- the work stuff can wait and your health is the priority.

Have you ever had your thyroid tested btw ? Because eating loads and still losing, irrelevant of your activity could be indicative of an overactive thyroid and trust me I get synthetic hyperthyroidism (or overactive thyroid) from when I have too much thyroid hormone replacement because I am clinically under active (sorry if that sounds complicated). But anyway my weight plummets and my insomnia worsens and I cannot simply be 'restful'. I would highly recommend you get your thyroid hormones checked just to be sure.

It seems kind of sad as the presentation of your ED appears to be more physical than psychological and to me, ED is a psychological problem. But how do you feel around food and eating and do you mind eating if you haven't exercised and also how do you feel if you can't exercise ?
Reply 4
Original post by Ethereal World
Awwww. So you're in hospital right now? :hugs: my heart goes out to you and keep fighting ! Don't worry about extra pressure of coursework and focus on getting better- the work stuff can wait and your health is the priority.

Have you ever had your thyroid tested btw ? Because eating loads and still losing, irrelevant of your activity could be indicative of an overactive thyroid and trust me I get synthetic hyperthyroidism (or overactive thyroid) from when I have too much thyroid hormone replacement because I am clinically under active (sorry if that sounds complicated). But anyway my weight plummets and my insomnia worsens and I cannot simply be 'restful'. I would highly recommend you get your thyroid hormones checked just to be sure.

It seems kind of sad as the presentation of your ED appears to be more physical than psychological and to me, ED is a psychological problem. But how do you feel around food and eating and do you mind eating if you haven't exercised and also how do you feel if you can't exercise ?

I feel ok about eating and am completely fine with it and so long as I am preoccupied with something else I can cope with not exercising but if I get bored then I may feel the need to again just to occupy myself. I would say that my appetite is increased following exercise but of course at Camhs that does not happen and you cannot exercise at all. My appetite is still (and always has been) pretty good though. I had all of the tests done in hospital previously and the only thing which they found was that I had Gilbert's Syndrome which is supposed to be a harmless liver condition but I have heard of people who have suffered with it and have had many symptoms. Some of mine were headache so, thirst, frequent unrination, brain fog, yellow eyes (due to a build up of jaundice) amongst a few others and this condition is made worse if you have had a virus which I had had.

By the way I forgot to mention that the reason in which I was referred to cahms was because the GP referred me up to there just to get me checked out and after they took a check of my pulse and blood pressure to find that they were low - which we were not overly concerned about as I had had all of the tests done before to confirm that my low pulse was nothing to worry about but they sent me immediately to hospital who thought that it was nothing to worry about either but they thought that because I had not had any physical issues they thought that Camhs was the best place for me as they would sort out my weight and get me to be restful. So my pulse which was about 30 bpm on admission has risen to 60 bpm and my blood pressure which was only slightly low is now very low and they are still not sure why that is but of course low weight brings a lot of symptoms with it and gaining weight restores all of these other health indicators back to full working capacity.
I think it's importance to realise that there is a wider spectrum of disorders related to weight which doesn't neatly fit within ED, and can present with over-exercising rather than preoccupation with body image as such. I guess right now it's important to focus on your own health, since low blood pressure and pulse can be quite serious. However it sounds like you are finding CAHMS helpful, which is good, and trying to find ways of coping with the restlessness seems like a good plan.
I don't know why everyone is assuming he/she has an ED? I gather with the weight loss it is quick to judge, but tbh I don't think there is anything the OP posted which suggested an ED? They haven't mentioned restricting food intake, and say exercise is just for fun, not to lose weight. So what has the OP said to make you think he/she has an ED?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest