The Student Room Group

Am I mad to decline Lancaster for Southampton, Leicester or Newcastle? Does RG matter

Hey,

I was just wanting to get a bit of advice, I've got offers from Lancaster, Newcastle and Southampton for Linguistics (and English @ Leicester)

Looking purely based on league tables Lancaster is ranked the highest in the subject & overall so would I be mad to turn it down for Newcastle or Southampton who are RG and seem to have better graduate prospects or Leicester where my friends go...

I just want to know whether RG really matters and if you were in my boat where would you go?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JordanC55
Hey,

I was just wanting to get a bit of advice, I've got offers from Lancaster, Newcastle and Southampton for Linguistics (and English @ Leicester)

Looking purely based on league tables Lancaster is ranked the highest in the subject & overall so would I be mad to turn it down for Newcastle or Southampton who are RG and seem to have better graduate prospects or Leicester where my friends go...

I just want to know whether RG really matters and if you were in my boat where would you go?

No, you're not mad. League table positions don't mean much at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lancaster is a decent non-RG university. There's not much of a difference between Lancaster and Leicester/Southampton/Newcastle.
Reply 3
Original post by Princepieman
No, you're not mad. League table positions don't mean much at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do even though Lancaster is the highest it doesn't mean it's the best?
Do even though Lancaster is the highest it doesn't mean it's the best?

League tables. Don't. Matter.

All of these universities are respected. What you should be using as a sifting method is to look at the modules on offer, the location, the societies available, placement opportunities and what kind of employers visit. For all you know, Lancaster might drop down to 20th place the next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Which would you choose?
Which would you choose?

it would depend on the conditions, accommodation and course. i would favor the two RG universities though by default. if it was for computer science, i'd pick southampton.
Reply 7
League tables. Don't. Matter.

All of these universities are respected. What you should be using as a sifting method is to look at the modules on offer, the location, the societies available, placement opportunities and what kind of employers visit. For all you know, Lancaster might drop down to 20th place the next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never thought about that aspect of it, I've looked at the modules and they're all great but employer visits never crossed my mind - how would I check that?
Reply 8
They're all unconditional as I'm on a gap year and I've done my exams but I agree in preferring the 2 RGs, I just didn't know whether them being ranked lower mattered.
Reply 9
I personally prefer the Russell group universities and out of the two, you stated I would pick Southampton and also it's higher in the ranking league. The others are also good universities and I am not discouraging you from accepting their offers but just stating my personal preference You have to live there for the next three years so choose wisely where you would be comfortable, but I would not purely choose a uni because my friends are going there.
Don't go to a university just because your friends go there. You have to think about your own future first and foremost and go to one you personally like. You can make new friends...
I never thought about that aspect of it, I've looked at the modules and they're all great but employer visits never crossed my mind - how would I check that?

The unusually have an exhibitor list on the career fair section of their websites. A quick Google should pull it up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
No I know that's true, I do like the uni as well and the accommodation is stunning lol.
Just a future tip to yourself for when you finally venture out of university.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3930223

Once you've read that, you'll have the answer to your question.
Reply 14
The unusually have an exhibitor list on the career fair section of their websites. A quick Google should pull it up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looking at that side of things Newcastle & Lancaster definitely had the better ones, Leicester was good as well and Southampton wasn't the best.
Reply 15
Original post by Joshale
Just a future tip to yourself for when you finally venture out of university.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3930223

Once you've read that, you'll have the answer to your question.

Well that's depressing.
Well that's depressing.

Why? It should be motivating.. It should push you to NOT fall into that category rather than discourage you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would choose Lancaster.

There's nothing beyond personal preference that can or should influence your choosing between these four. Just go to the one you most fancy.
I'm in the same boat, I'm deciding between Lancaster, Leicester and Newcastle for Computer Science. I've got offers from the first two and an interview at Newcastle next week.
Reply 19
Why? It should be motivating.. It should push you to NOT fall into that category rather than discourage you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it does motivate me, I've already got a fair bit of experience because I had to make my gap year worthwhile so I've volunteered with Deaf Blind UK, stroke groups taught English in Thailand over the summer lol.

I only got Bs in my A-levels so my experience helped get me offers from the unis in the first place as it made up for it so I understand the importance of it haha.

My only point was it was a bit depressing to hear that before even getting my foot in the door :L

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending