The Student Room Group

american highschools put us to SHAME

Scroll to see replies

Still, I feel much safer in a British highschool then an American one
Original post by EdwardBarfield9
No. I am not American but I have looked into it during one of my random internet tangents. They do not have to teach specific things and have far more freedom with what they can teach.

Also, a school is not putting any other to shame because of weight ability. A school is a place of education primarily.

Sports is part of education.
They better shooters at American Highschools as well.
Original post by Gwilym101
Well the reason America and China do so well in the Olympics is the number of athletes they can invest money in is higher than other countries. Then look at Americas comparatively embarressing performance in the Paralympics.

Also America's fitness is not exactly that great given their obesity rate is about 2/3s of adults.

won't be long for England soon, either
Original post by Joshale
Sports is part of education.

I said Primarily. I know sports and other things are part of school but one of the main purposes of school is education.
I said Primarily. I know sports and other things are part of school but one of the main purposes of school is education.
education only exists to get you into jobs, sports can get you into jobs so they're as important.
Original post by Joshale
education only exists to get you into jobs, sports can get you into jobs so they're as important.

Yet education gets you more chance at getting employment than sports be it a degree or apprenticeship. Sports does offer careers but far less.

What do you do at the end of school? Take exams or do coursework throughout the years you are there.
Yet education gets you more chance at getting employment than sports be it a degree or apprenticeship. Sports does offer careers but far less.

What do you do at the end of school? Take exams or do coursework throughout the years you are there.

Yes and education is of course important, but the Americans have more support for the kids, you get scholarships and whatnot for being extremely good at American football and probably other sports, which is a shame that we don't follow that route
Fact is, you can't beat American high schools. You just can't.
Original post by MountKimbie
You said it wasn't nearly as effective. Can you quantify how less effective it is in the context of American Football?
Of course I can't quantify it. How would you even go about doing that?

Most peformance in American football is not quantifiable, let alone the carryover that gym training methods have.

Quick Reply

Latest