The Student Room Group

My Girlfriend has daddy issues, what should I do?

I`ve been dating my gf for 5 months now and over time I`ve come to realise that she has daddy issues. Now, she grew up with a dad and her dad is still around but I get the feeling she feels neglected by him and that she craves his love and attention.

The first thing which made me suspicious was that I have a lot and I mean a lot in common with her father. From what we like to eat for breakfast, how long we spend in the toilet/shower to what we wear to bed. It`s uncanny and just got me thinking. Heck, she even calls me papi a lot but I just thought was normal and like a pet name.

I brought this up to her and she dismissed it. She claims she does`nt have daddy issues but everything points to her having them. I really want to help her get over them and help her feel more loved. What can I do to help her? Also she is south Asian. Is this a similar thing with all south Asian girls?

Scroll to see replies

Be her daddy.
Reply 2
Original post by greatguy257
Be her daddy.

I wanna be her baby daddy not her actual daddy. I just feel she`s mentally unstable and it`s fine now but I`m afraid a few years down the line something can happen.
Reply 3
Original post by Numan786
I`ve been dating my gf for 5 months now and over time I`ve come to realise that she has daddy issues. Now, she grew up with a dad and her dad is still around but I get the feeling she feels neglected by him and that she craves his love and attention.

The first thing which made me suspicious was that I have a lot and I mean a lot in common with her father. From what we like to eat for breakfast, how long we spend in the toilet/shower to what we wear to bed. It`s uncanny and just got me thinking. Heck, she even calls me papi a lot but I just thought was normal and like a pet name.

I brought this up to her and she dismissed it. She claims she does`nt have daddy issues but everything points to her having them. I really want to help her get over them and help her feel more loved. What can I do to help her? Also she is south Asian. Is this a similar thing with all south Asian girls?

Be her sugar daddy.
If something happens down the line, it happens and you can deal with it then.
But until then, just be a decent partner to her. Don't treat her differently becuase you think something might happen.
I'm a South Asian girl and not all of us are like that lol
It depends on the individual girl and her life experience, not on her ethnicity.

There's nothing you can do to help her, if she has daddy issues she needs to sort it out herself by talking to her dad about it
(edited 8 years ago)

Sheeeeet, you're such a nice guy lol

Most guys would totally capitalise on this and use it to have her wrapped round their finger
Reply 7
Original post by Zargabaath
If something happens down the line, it happens and you can deal with it then.
But until then, just be a decent partner to her. Don't treat her differently becuase you think something might happen.

I'm just saying that I don't think it's healthy and I want her to be happier. I'm hoping she accepts it and wants to try and talk about it.

Original post by Eternalflames
I'm a South Asian girl and not all of us are like that lol
It depends on the individual girl and her life experience, not on her ethnicity.

There's nothing you can do to help her, if she has daddy issues she needs to sort it out herself by talking to her dad about it

I just assumed it was as south asian men are not as expressive with their emotions I'm told. Her dad doesn't seem the type of person to talk about this and she doesn't seem willing to either. Like she won't even talk to her dad first unless she has too. She never makes any sort of conversation with him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Death Grips
Sheeeeet, you're such a nice guy lol

Most guys would totally capitalise on this and use it to have her wrapped round their finger

Nah I care about her and just wanna see her happy. I just think if she doesn't get to talk about it later on everything will come out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

I just assumed it was as south asian men are not as expressive with their emotions I'm told. Her dad doesn't seem the type of person to talk about this and she doesn't seem willing to either. Like she won't even talk to her dad first unless she has too. She never makes any sort of conversation with him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not true, my dad talks to me properly, cares about me and spoils me. :biggrin:
And I'm sure this is the case with many South Asian girls more so than the one you described

She probably doesn't even realise it as an issue then if he's never talked to her properly.
You've already made her conscious by highlighting that she might have daddy issues so she's likely to say no to 'fixing the issues'. I suppose you could ask her to talk to her dad more, see how he's doing? You make the effort to make them talk more. Maybe family counselling?

haha, iv noted this as well. virtually all asian girls I know whose dads are at work a lot have daddy issues. personally, I have found with time, the daddy issues get resolved in long-term relationships but u may need to address this at some point if it continues (e.g. if u marry her / live with her long-term- also let her know u dislike papi)
Reply 11
Original post by Eternalflames
Not true, my dad talks to me properly, cares about me and spoils me. :biggrin:
And I'm sure this is the case with many South Asian girls more so than the one you described

She probably doesn't even realise it as an issue then if he's never talked to her properly.
You've already made her conscious by highlighting that she might have daddy issues so she's likely to say no to 'fixing the issues'. I suppose you could ask her to talk to her dad more, see how he's doing? You make the effort to make them talk more. Maybe family counselling?

I think she realises her relationship with her father isn't very open. I mean she says that he wasn't a bad dad but I know that he never really gave his kids/family much love or attention. Actually, I should say that he didn't show them love or attention. I met him and get the feeling he does care a lot about his family but I think it's a bravado thing? Yeah, I'm hoping to improve their relationship as I just wanna see her happy.
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
haha, iv noted this as well. virtually all asian girls I know whose dads are at work a lot have daddy issues. personally, I have found with time, the daddy issues get resolved in long-term relationships but u may need to address this at some point if it continues (e.g. if u marry her / live with her long-term- also let her know u dislike papi)

Yeah, I'm just wondering what's the best way of addressing these issues without pushing her away?
@Dima-Blackburn :rofl:

I think you should support her and take her out (spoil her).I suggest star city! Good place :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by MsFahima
@Dima-Blackburn :rofl:

I think you should support her and take her out (spoil her).I suggest star city! Good place :biggrin:

Can't go star city. Banned after last time :colondollar:

Lol don't bait her out. I want some genuine advice though. I hope she hasn't seen this.

Lol don't bait her out. I want some genuine advice though. I hope she hasn't seen this.

Unfortunately, she has seen this. :P

hahah ur dead.
Can't believe you've acc done this.
**** you.
What South Asain?

I dont wanna say this but i think i can relate
Reply 18
Original post by Anonymous
What South Asain?

I dont wanna say this but i think i can relate

Pakistani.

Are you a girl or do you have a gf in the same situation ?
Pakistani.

Are you a girl or do you have a gf in the same situation ?

im a girl. i would go into detail but i dont wanna gross myself out about this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending