The Student Room Group

What Apps Help Your Mental Health?

So, I've taken a bit of a dip recently and I've heard a bit of talk about mental health-related apps and how they've helped some people, so I was wondering: does anyone have any apps that have really helped them mental health-wise?

Hope everyone is doing well today!

Spoiler

I suffer from anxiety and have had depression. I'd recommend to use the Calm App. I've found it really useful to settle my mind when I feel something may trigger a panic attack.

Hope this helps. :h:
Headspace is a good app :smile:
People use apps for their mental health?! Maybe I'm just old but I find that an incredibly strange thing to do. Then again I hate most mobile phone apps.
Spotify
Music is incredible in terms of how it can make you feel.
Original post by McNuggetsAhoy
People use apps for their mental health?! Maybe I'm just old but I find that an incredibly strange thing to do. Then again I hate most mobile phone apps.

Know what you mean, man. All these whippersnappers with their fancy apps! (I'm actually being serious, I have no idea how these things work.)

I remember reading an article about an app developed by a university which claimed to help people with schizophrenia with stuff like concentration and memory but I couldn't find it to download but maybe someone else will know what I'm talking about....?
Would it be useful to have a sticky with a list of apps and what they're useful for?
Original post by undercxver
I suffer from anxiety and have had depression. I'd recommend to use the Calm App. I've found it really useful to settle my mind when I feel something may trigger a panic attack.

:zomg: Matt Ogus also uses "Calm App" and I started using it last week.

I found it helps relax and unwind a lot! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MountKimbie
Would it be useful to have a sticky with a list of apps and what they're useful for?

That's a great idea. :smile:

As I said, I don't know much about apps but if we can get some suggestions going then I think a sticky would be good.
Reply 9
I have looked into them and it seems like there's not a single decent one. There are few which look more serious, but they require a referral from your GP or therapist. That's a bit odd to me.
Reply 10
Original post by plasmaman
Spotify
Music is incredible in terms of how it can make you feel.

i agree :biggrin:
Original post by Sabertooth
Know what you mean, man. All these whippersnappers with their fancy apps! (I'm actually being serious, I have no idea how these things work.)

I remember reading an article about an app developed by a university which claimed to help people with schizophrenia with stuff like concentration and memory but I couldn't find it to download but maybe someone else will know what I'm talking about....?

Not 100% sure if this is what you're talking about (don't think those with schizophrenia are the target demograph...), but this app is similar. (Perhaps? Maybe...? :dontknow:)
Original post by Pathway
Not 100% sure if this is what you're talking about (don't think those with schizophrenia are the target demograph...), but this app is similar. (Perhaps? Maybe...? :dontknow:)

That looks similar, but this is the one I meant:
http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/brain-training-app-may-improve-memory-and-daily-functioning-in-schizophrenia
Not mental health specific but someone on here pointed me towards online jigsaws which can be amazing as something mindless to do that doesn't take too much concentration or energy. The two best apps I've found are both called jigsaw puzzle, one a yellow piece on a purple background and one green on yellow. They're both free and have plenty there without needing to buy the extra packs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by undercxver

This is really lovely, thanks for posting it :smile:
I also use Calm and one called Mindshift which I'm liking so far

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Sabertooth

I remember reading about that app it was devised by some cambridge students and was free etc. I never got round to trying it out I don't think I had a smart phone at the time.

The most important apps for me are the alarm clock I'm always forgetting things. And the countdown clock that tells me to stop working and take a break.
Reply 17
I have a free colouring app called 'Colorfy' which is a colouring therapy app for adults and it's amazing ^_^

Here: http://colorfy.net/
Reply 18
I've been using Relax Melodies on my Android to stay mentally health (it's available for free download on http://freepps.top/apps/health-fitness/ ). There are tons of actions you can take to increase your mental health. The key point here is to choose your suitable methods.

Quick Reply

Latest