The Student Room Group

UEA Medicine with foundation Year 2016

Saw no thread on this so I thought I might start one myself :smile:. I have 5 As, 2 Cs and 1 B. I am currently studying Biology, chemistry, physics and maths for AS. Currently getting work experience sorted out and will be starting at a care home soon :smile:.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Kadak
Saw no thread on this so I thought I might start one myself :smile:. I have 5 As, 2 Cs and 1 B. I am currently studying Biology, chemistry, physics and maths for AS. Currently getting work experience sorted out and will be starting at a care home soon :smile:.

Is this for 2016 entry?

Wow super early, and super eager I like that :colone: :hubba:
Ty. YOU applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone!

My Stats: GCSE- 6As 3Bs 2Cs (Not the best, I know)
A Levels- Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and English (Exams soon...:s-smilie:)
Starting at a Care home, did NCS, Part of the Ealing Youth Council, Going to a hospital in Africa for 2 weeks in the summer and also going to the nottingham summer school for medicine.

No actual work experience for medicine yet so...
Reply 4
Hi guys, I just finished my first year on this course so if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask :smile:
Original post by dr-spot95
Hi guys, I just finished my first year on this course so if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask :smile:

Congats for getting in, I hope you've enjoyed your time on the course so far. :smile: Can I ask what your stats are ( UKCAT AS/A levels GCSE Work Experience) Regardless of what you may think, this information is very relevant. Thank you in advance.
Reply 6
Original post by Hopeful-x-Medic
Congats for getting in, I hope you've enjoyed your time on the course so far. :smile: Can I ask what your stats are ( UKCAT AS/A levels GCSE Work Experience) Regardless of what you may think, this information is very relevant. Thank you in advance.

Thank you! Of course, I think I got like 675 in my UKCAT, in A levels I got A*BC in Biology, Religious Studies and Physics and I got a C in my Chemistry AS. GCSE I got 6 A*s and 5 As. As for work experience I spent a week in the research labs and the hospital at the Nuffield in Oxford, I spent a day at a medical simulation centre and a day in infectious disease ward. As for volunteering I did lots in Air Cadets and a few months working a tearoom for adults with learning disabilities. I also worked at my local shop for over 3 years and I spent a summer as a dental receptionist. To be honest it doesn't matter how amazing your volunteering is or whatever as long as you are able to talk about the things you learnt from them and relate them to the medicine.
Feel free to ask anything else.
Thank you! Of course, I think I got like 675 in my UKCAT, in A levels I got A*BC in Biology, Religious Studies and Physics and I got a C in my Chemistry AS. GCSE I got 6 A*s and 5 As. As for work experience I spent a week in the research labs and the hospital at the Nuffield in Oxford, I spent a day at a medical simulation centre and a day in infectious disease ward. As for volunteering I did lots in Air Cadets and a few months working a tearoom for adults with learning disabilities. I also worked at my local shop for over 3 years and I spent a summer as a dental receptionist. To be honest it doesn't matter how amazing your volunteering is or whatever as long as you are able to talk about the things you learnt from them and relate them to the medicine.
Feel free to ask anything else.

Thank you so much, this was so helpful. How is life at the uni aside from medicine? Is the school culturally diverse? Interesting extra curricular activities or things to take part in at school. In short, do you like UEA and would you recommend it to anyone
Reply 8
Original post by Hopeful-x-Medic
Thank you so much, this was so helpful. How is life at the uni aside from medicine? Is the school culturally diverse? Interesting extra curricular activities or things to take part in at school. In short, do you like UEA and would you recommend it to anyone

UEA is amazing! Its a decent size campus surrounded by lovely lake and green-space but also only a short bus into the city centre. I've met a lot of people from different backgrounds here and although I myself aren't part of any societies I hear a lot of good things particularly from sports and cultural societies. I would most definitely recommend it
UEA is amazing! Its a decent size campus surrounded by lovely lake and green-space but also only a short bus into the city centre. I've met a lot of people from different backgrounds here and although I myself aren't part of any societies I hear a lot of good things particularly from sports and cultural societies. I would most definitely recommend it

Thanks for the speedy reply :smile: Sounds awesome, really leaning towards UEA! Thanks for your help, rep for you!!

Hi:smile: how did you manage stress/worry associated with results day or just the application process in general?
Original post by Lularose83
Hi:smile: how did you manage stress/worry associated with results day or just the application process in general?

Results day I just tried to not think about it and kept busy, try not to over-think stuff and just make sure you are happy with your back-up plan so you are not too disappointed. The application was quite scary but at each stage I was proud to have got to it so if I was rejected or whatever I felt happy that I at least got a chance as some people don't even get the predicted grades to be able to apply.
Just keep positive, remember this is a competitive field so there is no shame in not getting all the way to an offer there are still lots of routes into medicine! Don't give up :smile:
Results day I just tried to not think about it and kept busy, try not to over-think stuff and just make sure you are happy with your back-up plan so you are not too disappointed. The application was quite scary but at each stage I was proud to have got to it so if I was rejected or whatever I felt happy that I at least got a chance as some people don't even get the predicted grades to be able to apply.
Just keep positive, remember this is a competitive field so there is no shame in not getting all the way to an offer there are still lots of routes into medicine! Don't give up :smile:

Thank you so much! Good luck in your studies :smile:
I have GCSE at 1A*, 6A's, 4B's and 2C
AS: CCCC maths, biology, chemistry and psychology.
UKCAT: 600
A2 predicted: AAB

Do you think that this will be enough to get me onto this course. Do you know what the average grades that people have on the course.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi,
Currently a foundation year med student at UEA. I know people who got in with BBC and BBB so wouldn't worry too much. In saying that however people who had offers for 5 year med but missed out by a grade or so are also on this course.
Original post by Ladybird2121
Hi,
Currently a foundation year med student at UEA. I know people who got in with BBC and BBB so wouldn't worry too much. In saying that however people who had offers for 5 year med but missed out by a grade or so are also on this course.

Hey,
quick question, what was your ukcat score?
cuz mine was 590, which i am not really happy with. Does that lower my chances or are there others with lower ukcat who got in?
Original post by SaphBruh
Hey,
quick question, what was your ukcat score?
cuz mine was 590, which i am not really happy with. Does that lower my chances or are there others with lower ukcat who got in?

Hey, I got 630 but last year the average score was a lot lower than previous years so it depends on how everyone else has done. I don't actually know other peoples UKCAT's.
Also if you have good AS levels it could make up for it.
Hope that helps :smile:
Has anyone heard anything?
Original post by coolbeans3
Has anyone heard anything?

Nothing, other unis like southampton sent eligibility criteria letters, but uea hasnt sent anything. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a bit nervous. Has anyone received anything from them yet?

Quick Reply