The Student Room Group

What are your favourite full albums?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ethereal World
I've seen them live. Strong from them. :yep:

When they reform I'm going to at least 5 shows a year.
Original post by JBLondon
Have you heard Michael Jackson’s new song he’s doing? He’s teamed up with West Ham football team, apparently. Yeah. Doing ‘I’m Forever Blowing Bubbles.’

She doesn't know about football.

I bloody love football

[video="youtube;2DV87F8wTt0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DV87F8wTt0[/video]
So, just full albums that we think are flawless? Below are the ones that come to mind for me that I can and do listen right the way through and love every minute.

Nas - Illmatic
Outkast - Aquemini
Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers
Mobb Deep - Infamous
EPMD - Strictly Business

Björk - Homogenic
The Cure - Disintegration
Pearl Jam - Ten
The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream
Tom Waits - Bone Machine
Sufjan Stevens - Carrie and Lowell
A Silver Mt. Zion - He Has Left Us Alone but Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corner of Our Rooms…

Burial - Untrue
Caribou - Swim

Michael Jackson - Bad

Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
Otis Redding - Otis Blue
Sam Cooke - Night Beat
Yeah, to be honest there are very few Oasis songs I don't love. You sir have impeccable taste.

Right back atcha :tongue: I'm gonna be listening to Oasis all day now, goddammit.
When they reform I'm going to at least 5 shows a year.

We're both good in our own fields. I'm sure Texas couldn't run and manage a successful paper merchants. I couldn't do what-, well, I could do what they do, and I think they knew that, even back then. Probably what spurred them on.
Original post by e aí rapaz
So, just full albums that we think are flawless? Below are the ones that come to mind for me that I can and do listen right the way through and love every minute.

Nas - Illmatic
Outkast - Aquemini
Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers
Mobb Deep - Infamous
EPMD - Strictly Business

Björk - Homogenic
The Cure - Disintegration
Pearl Jam - Ten
The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream
Tom Waits - Bone Machine
Sufjan Stevens - Carrie and Lowell
A Silver Mt. Zion - He Has Left Us Alone but Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corner of Our Rooms…

Burial - Untrue
Caribou - Swim

Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
Otis Redding - Otis Blue
Sam Cooke - Night Beat

So what are the categories you've separated these into?

That's a comprehensive selection tho :awesome:
So what are the categories you've separate these into?

That's a comprehensive selection tho :awesome:

I'm not really sure. Genre... Vaguely. It just helped me think it through in my head!
These come to mind.

The Dubliners - all ~20 albums
Floggin Molly - Drunken Lullabies
Keaton Henson - Birthdays
The Maccabeees - Colour it In
Devlin - Tales from the Crypt
Die Antwoord - Ten$ion
Ron Pope - Last Call
The Kooks - Inside In/Inside Out
The Fratellis - Costello Music
FOB - Infinity on High
The Pigeon Detectives - Wait for Me
Three Days Grace - Three Days Grace
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
The Wombats - A Guide to Love, Loss & Desperation
MCR - Welcome to The Black Parade (no shame :tongue:)
Nickelback - All the Right Reasons (also no shame :tongue:)
Evanescence - Fallen
Kill Hannah - Until There's Nothing Left of Us
Hollywood Undead - Swan Songs B-Sides
Placebo - Meds
Hellogoodbye - Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!
Paramore - Riot!
Automatic Loveletter - Truth Or Dare

I want to add another 20+ that I have already thought of from various genres as I write this but I won't bore people beyond this as my list is already far too long and is becoming disingenuous :lol:

What are your favourite full albums? Sometimes there are songs that you love and artists obviously but do you ever get it when a whole album resonates with you and you can just play the whole thing through. I particularly like it when the end of songs lead into the intro of the next song.

Here's a very random selection of albums that I've particularly loved over the past decade or so. Please allow that some of them are from my emo teenage years but I still have a soft spot.

Colour it in- The Maccabees
The Suburbs- Arcade Fire (amazing concept album)
XX- the XX
A Fever you can't sweat out- Panic! At the disco
Red- T.Swift
Let Go- Avril Lavigne
Fallen- Evanescence
Infinity on High- Fall Out Boy
Future Sex Love Sounds- JT
Shock Value- Timbaland
King of Limbs- Radiohead
Only by the night- Kings of Leon

Tbf this is a pretty juvenile selection but I think it's because it's from back in the days where I bought album CDs for my car etc. Whereas now I just listen to Spotify playlists or download individual songs on the Internet.

Anyone got any full albums they love? Especially concept albums :yep:

Tagging some peep I've discussed musak with recently.

I wrote my list before I even read the OP. Snap on a few of these - I love Toothpaste Kisses.
I've seen them live. Strong from them. :yep:

Yeah, I saw them perform in Manchester a few years back. Second best performance I've ever seen, but then no one competes with Muse live
Original post by ByronicHero
These come to mind.

The Dubliners - all ~20 albums
Floggin Molly - Drunken Lullabies
Keaton Henson - Birthdays
The Maccabeees - Colour it In
Devlin - Tales from the Crypt
Die Antwoord - Ten$ion
Ron Pope - Last Call
The Kooks - Inside In/Inside Out
The Fratellis - Costello Music
FOB - Infinity on High
The Pigeon Detectives - Wait for Me
Three Days Grace - Three Days Grace
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
The Wombats - A Guide to Love, Loss & Desperation
MCR - Welcome to The Black Parade (no shame :tongue:)
Nickelback - All the Right Reasons (also no shame :tongue:)
Evanescence - Fallen
Kill Hannah - Until There's Nothing Left of Us
Hollywood Undead - Swan Songs B-Sides
Placebo - Meds
Hellogoodbye - Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!
Paramore - Riot!
Automatic Loveletter - Truth Or Dare

I want to add another 20+ that I have already thought of from various genres as I write this but I won't bore people beyond this as my list is already far too long and is becoming disingenuous :lol:

I wrote my list before I even read the OP. Snap on a few of these - I love Toothpaste Kisses.

I read your response thinking that- that you hadn't read it- because the three that we chose that matched are kind of obscure. I love Toothpaste Kisses as well as First Love- are you cooool? criticool, politicool, analyticool. Great from them. Also love OA V.I.P -great album to run to :yep:

Also :five: on the Evanescence front- I nearly didn't own up to it but WTF that album is top notch.
Original post by e aí rapaz
I'm not really sure. Genre... Vaguely. It just helped me think it through in my head!

Fair, I shall allow that, the bottom 3 make obvious sense to me but I was just trying to pick your brains on how you categorised.
We're both good in our own fields. I'm sure Texas couldn't run and manage a successful paper merchants. I couldn't do what-, well, I could do what they do, and I think they knew that, even back then. Probably what spurred them on.

I get all this, “Ooh, David, you’re a brilliant singer-songwriter, you’re in Slough, while it’s Texas that’re off making all the money…and they’re rubbish compared to you.”

And I go, “Don’t slag them off.” I say, “I’ve been there, I’ve done that, you know. That’s behind me”
I read your response thinking that- that you hadn't read it- because the three that we chose that matched are kind of obscure. I love Toothpaste Kisses as well as First Love- are you cooool? criticool, politicool, analyticool. Great from them. Also love OA V.I.P -great album to run to :yep:

Also :five: on the Evanescence front- I nearly didn't own up to it but WTF that album is top notch.

Aye. I was surprised to see someone else choose The Maccabees, but less so Evanescence. I am interested to see if anyone else admits to having liked WTTBP - MCR.

One must acknowledge even the most shameful aspects of one's character :tongue:

I have already thought of several more I'm annoyed I didn't include but I'm going to commit to not changing the list.
I get all this, “Ooh, David, you’re a brilliant singer-songwriter, you’re in Slough, while it’s Texas that’re off making all the money…and they’re rubbish compared to you.”

And I go, “Don’t slag them off.” I say, “I’ve been there, I’ve done that, you know. That’s behind me”

Foregone Conclusion.
Juxtaposition Records

sooooo.
Foregone Conclusion.
Juxtaposition Records

sooooo.

Going home cos my baby's gone (She's dead!) She's not dead.

None of them was you.
What, you?
No, he's looking at a picture...
Of you?
No...
Because it sounds a bit gay at the moment
It's not gay FREE LOVE ON THE FREELOVE FREEWAY...

Right. That's lunch.
Reply 75
I like it when you sleep, for you are so beautiful yet so unaware of it - The 1975
In Colour - Jamie XX
The Bends - Radiohead
Antidotes - Foals
How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful - Florence + The Machine
Lungs - Florence + The Machine
Melt - Young Magic
Art Angels - Grimes
Original post by sean.17
I like it when you sleep, for you are so beautiful yet so unaware of it - The 1975
In Colour - Jamie XX
The Bends - Radiohead
Antidotes - Foals
How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful - Florence + The Machine
Lungs - Florence + The Machine
Melt - Young Magic
Art Angels - Grimes

Great Selection- Do you like The XX's stuff as well? Both their albums just help me do the life thing.
I've seen the Green Day musical, and even though in and of itself it was poor, the album is so good that it carried the show. American Idiot - so good.
Reply 78
Great Selection- Do you like The XX's stuff as well? Both their albums just help me do the life thing.

Oh definitely yeah. I can't wait for their third album, hopefully they'll be releasing it soon :smile:
Original post by sean.17
Oh definitely yeah. I can't wait for their third album, hopefully they'll be releasing it soon :smile:

What is your fave song? I love VCR, fiction, and shelter. I particularly love the bit in shelter where it says:

'And I'll cross oceans, like never before, so you can feel the way I feel it too.
And ill mirror images, back at you, to you can see, the way I see it too'

Quick Reply

Latest