The Student Room Group

What other financial help is available that you don't repay?

Since the maintenance grant has been taken away, I won't be able to afford travel costs to uni. I will also need help with equipment/resources, studying textile design and will need to buy what I need for work myself. From a low income household as well, is there any financial help I can get that doesn't have to be paid back?

I already applied for a tuition fee loan and won't be applying for the maintenance loan since I'll be living at home and don't need it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by samzy21
Since the maintenance grant has been taken away, I won't be able to afford travel costs to uni. I will also need help with equipment/resources, studying textile design and will need to buy what I need for work myself. From a low income household as well, is there any financial help I can get that doesn't have to be paid back?

I already applied for a tuition fee loan and won't be applying for the maintenance loan since I'll be living at home and don't need it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Check your uni for grants.

I would always recommend getting the maintenance loan, if you don't need it just pay it back, but the fact the money would be there for when you do need it (and you will!), is a good safety to have.
Reply 2
Sounds to me as though you were happy to have handouts (grant) but now that it's a loan you don't want it, which is quite laughable in itself.

The maintenance loan isn't just for living, it's for travel and other expenses as well, so take that, immediately pay back what you don't use and then pay back the rest accordingly.
Original post by samzy21

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you obviously do need the maintenance loan, that is what it's for, travel costs, study resources. Why do people expect free money all the time? You are the one getting something out of going to uni, so take responsibility, take out a loan and then pay it back. If you don't want a loan, get a job and stop expecting other people to pay for you.
Original post by Kaneki
Sounds to me as though you were happy to have handouts (grant) but now that it's a loan you don't want it, which is quite laughable in itself.

Well duh. Why would anyone want to be in even more debt?

The maintenance loan isn't just for living, it's for travel and other expenses as well, so take that, immediately pay back what you don't use and then pay back the rest accordingly.

Not smart to immediately pay back what you don't use. It will almost certainly come in handy at some point.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by samzy21

Posted from TSR Mobile

Students from low income households are usually eligible for a bursary. I also come from a low income household and although I get the grant, I'm also getting a bursary to help with costs. Also, every uni has an access to learning fund so be sure to apply for that too. An overdraft is also good to fall back on.
Reply 6
Original post by cherryred90s
Well duh. Why would anyone want to be in even more debt?.

This is part of the large problem with the university system, people not seeing it as an investment for their future and instead just as debt.

What's more, if you're saying that your degree isn't going to enable you to have a better future, I don't think you should be getting aid to take it in any way, shape or form (from the government at least), but that's another point entirely.
Original post by samzy21

Posted from TSR Mobile

You clearly do.
Original post by milliemogs
Well you obviously do need the maintenance loan, that is what it's for, travel costs, study resources. Why do people expect free money all the time? You are the one getting something out of going to uni, so take responsibility, take out a loan and then pay it back. If you don't want a loan, get a job and stop expecting other people to pay for you.

Because of social inequality...! Getting a loan isn't as simple as taking it out and then paying it back - you could find yourself struggling to pay it back or struggling whilst paying it back.

Although I do think in this situation the Poster would be recommneded to take out a loan.
Original post by Kaneki
This is part of the large problem with the university system, people not seeing it as an investment for their future and instead just as debt.

Who said anything about not seeing university as an investment from their future? A large and very important aspect of university is finance. You cannot be naive and ignore it just because it's 'an investment for your future'.

What's more, if you're saying that your degree isn't going to enable you to have a better future, I don't think you should be getting aid to take it in any way, shape or form (from the government at least), but that's another point entirely.

I'm sure everyone goes to uni with the intention to have a better future. OP isn't being unreasonable. If they increased fees from 9k to 12k, I'm sure some people would have second thoughts about going to uni because of that.
The point of the maintenance loan is to help maintain you throughout the duration of your course. This includes travel costs, study materials, stationary, food, rent, etc. You don't get given free money to study just because you're choosing to study at home instead of moving out.

Take out a maintenance loan at a lower rate than you're entitled to in order to minimise the debt and look into what bursarys you're entitled to from your uni, but don't be surprised if your only options are to take out a loan or get a part-time job.
Original post by Des_Lumières
Because of social inequality...! Getting a loan isn't as simple as taking it out and then paying it back - you could find yourself struggling to pay it back or struggling whilst paying it back.

Although I do think in this situation the Poster would be recommneded to take out a loan.

You will not struggle to pay it back. You only have to pay once you are earning over a certain amount, allowing people to earn enough to support themselves before having to make payments. That is the whole idea behind the repayments. Being poor has absolutely no effect on paying back the loan. Simply because if you are poor, you won't have to pay it back.
Original post by milliemogs
You will not struggle to pay it back. You only have to pay once you are earning over a certain amount, allowing people to earn enough to support themselves before having to make payments. That is the whole idea behind the repayments. Being poor has absolutely no effect on paying back the loan. Simply because if you are poor, you won't have to pay it back.

Yeah, but that amount's really low isn't it...isn't it like 25K? what about if you actually want to have a life with a partner and kids? If you're not earning much and paying loans the cost of living could be hard!
Yeah, but that amount's really low isn't it...isn't it like 25K? what about if you actually want to have a life with a partner and kids? If you're not earning much and paying loans the cost of living could be hard!

I think for the current loan it's 21k but it is only 9%(i think) of anything you earn above that.

If you want to enjoy more things in life and have a family then thats's a decision you have to make. it's the same with any loan. I want a house and know that I will need to get a mortgage. I will have to make sacrifices in order to pay the mortgage, that's my decision, I'm not expecting anyone else to pay for the house for me. I'm also not going to have kids until I know I can afford to look after them after all my bills/student loan payments are made.

If you are buying something for yourself, for your own benefit, you should be paying for it. The whole point of a degree is to improve career options so you can earn more. Therefore in my opinion you should be paying for it yourself.
Reply 14

I would hope after taking out loans for university that you would be sensible and wait to have children, at least for a little while rather than hopping into bed with the partner.
Original post by cherryred90s
Students from low income households are usually eligible for a bursary. I also come from a low income household and although I get the grant, I'm also getting a bursary to help with costs. Also, every uni has an access to learning fund so be sure to apply for that too. An overdraft is also good to fall back on.

Thanks. How do I apply for a bursary? You can't apply for one through student finance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samzy21
Thanks. How do I apply for a bursary? You can't apply for one through student finance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go on the website of your chosen university. They'll have information about scholarships/bursaries on offer. They'll also have an eligibility criteria so you can see if you are actually eligible.
It can sometimes be automated, so as soon as you start in the first term, they'd send you a letter informing you that you're eligible for a bursary. They don't always inform you so it would be best for you to check yourself. They didn't tell me that I was eligible for a 2k bursary until I did the research.
Original post by Kaneki
I would hope after taking out loans for university that you would be sensible and wait to have children, at least for a little while rather than hopping into bed with the partner.

That's a bit personal isn't it? I'm not talking about myself here you know, I'm just offering a general type scenario. Let's hope the government doesn't start coming out with the same thing as you any time soon!
(edited 8 years ago)

The repayments are far less significant than you make them out to be.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending