The Student Room Group

MBA work experience?

Let's say I've just graduated with a degree in computer science from a top 5 uni and I want to do a MBA at somewhere like Said business school so I can get a job in investment banking at associate level. How do I go about it and what kind of work experience would I need, as it says work experience is required?
Reply 1
Original post by Axlerod
Let's say I've just graduated with a degree in computer science from a top 5 uni and I want to do a MBA at somewhere like Said business school so I can get a job in investment banking at associate level. How do I go about it and what kind of work experience would I need, as it says work experience is required?

They mean experience of work. As in having a "proper" job for a few years (at least 2 years in Said's case but longer is much better).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Understand that getting into IBD as an Associate is equally difficult as at the Analyst level but the way recruitment is conducted is different. Generally speaking, as an Analyst, you will apply on the website and then move through the stages based on your performance. As an MBA, on-campus recruitment plays a major part. At INSEAD, for example, recruiters will regularly hold networking events after which you are invited at the office for a more formal interview. The process differs based on the institution, but on the whole that's how it works. It is therefore crucial that you apply to a B-School that has on-campus recruitment for your target industry (in this case Investment Banking). The only two schools that are worth their salt for front-office IBD are INSEAD and LBS. Now, going to a lower tier school such as Said and Judge may get you into a lower tier bank (MM or small cap) but at the BBs you're looking at an uphill struggle and when you consider that an MBA may cost £100,000+, do you really want to take that risk?
Reply 3
So Said is not worth it? Would a masters in finance from somewhere like LSE be better than a MBA from Said? And this may sound stupid but how would a UK undergraduate go about applying for a place overseas such as Wharton?
Reply 4
Original post by Axlerod
And this may sound stupid but how would a UK undergraduate go about applying for a place overseas such as Wharton?

By reading their admissions process...
https://mba.wharton.upenn.edu/admissions/
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
By reading their admissions process...
https://mba.wharton.upenn.edu/admissions/

You are so wise 😮
Any AMBA-accredited MBA requires a minimum of 3 years work experience, ie full-time job. With less than that you're probably looking at an MSc in Management.
Reply 7
Original post by Duncan2012
Any AMBA-accredited MBA requires a minimum of 3 years work experience, ie full-time job. With less than that you're probably looking at an MSc in Management.

I agree that more is better, but actually Said does say minimum 2 years.

Judge agrees it should be 3 years :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
I agree that more is better, but actually Said does say minimum 2 years.

Judge agrees it should be 3 years :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

According to AMBA: "Students are expected to have a minimum of three years appropriate and relevant postgraduate work experience upon entry and the student body as a whole should average at least five years of such experience." (http://www.mbaworld.com/~/media/Files/Accreditation/MBA-criteria-for-accreditation.ashx)

I assume Said will consider applications with 2+ years experience assuming the applicant will have 3+ by the time they start the course, as noted above.
Reply 9
Original post by Duncan2012
According to AMBA: "Students are expected to have a minimum of three years appropriate and relevant postgraduate work experience upon entry and the student body as a whole should average at least five years of such experience." (http://www.mbaworld.com/~/media/Files/Accreditation/MBA-criteria-for-accreditation.ashx)

I assume Said will consider applications with 2+ years experience assuming the applicant will have 3+ by the time they start the course, as noted above.

Yes perhaps. And the average at Said is 6 years anyway. Why anyone would consider undertaking an MBA without reasonable professional experience (at least 5 years and preferably more) behind them is beyond me. Well I know why they do it, it just seems daft...
Original post by jneill
Yes perhaps. And the average at Said is 6 years anyway. Why anyone would consider undertaking an MBA without reasonable professional experience (at least 5 years and preferably more) behind them is beyond me. Well I know why they do it, it just seems daft...

Agreed.
Reply 11
Original post by Axlerod

An MBA isn't intended as a stand-alone postgrad academic qualification, but as a continuation and component of your business life and experience. The 'work experience' requested means actual professional working experience in a relevant job (or jobs) and not things like placement years or student internships.

As stated above, "how you go about it" will be specified on each uni department's web page. There is no centralised equivalent to the UCAS process.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending