The Student Room Group

People get paid by their parents for doing well?!

Scroll to see replies

Yr 10 my parents paid for half of my PC (wasn't incentive, they told me after I got the grades). Yr 11 I got a new bike. AS levels I got a nice dinner out.

At GCSE people aren't taking it as seriously so need an incentive which they really do like the sound of. I remember with yr 10 GCSE's we were recommended 5 hours a day decision during the half term holiday before them. Everyone including me moaned about that, do nearly that currently before the exam period and I don't mind it.
Original post by cherryred90s
Why is it stupid?

I just think it it stupid because they are getting paid for what's expected, in a way. Some would argue it is an incentive, but I think it is just excessive and unnecessary by parents.
Original post by Des_Lumières
I know - really stupid isn't it?! Neither of my parents did for me that's for sure - and one of them is a Professor of Education! One of my friends got money from her parents (one of them was a banker) and then went to Cambridge - guess the friend wouldn't have been able to do it without a little incentive (the same family also paid for tutors and even paid of Prof. of English to read coursework, and probably the PS later although I don't know about that for sure!).

Think there's nothing wrong with seeking a little help when you need it but there's a limit to what's ethical. Anyway, in the long run it's much better to be able to help yourself than to rely on external motivation (that might not always be there!).

I totally agree! I'd be more disappointed to have achieved a lower grade, rather than telling myself I missed out on a few extra quid.
If i do well i would get iphone 7 whenever it would come out in the market. i don't think so it's rare cause many of my friends also received a lot of cash from their parents
lovin life, getting paid, and gettin laid. Yes, I have been offered £500-600 by my parents in my quest to attain A*s and As.
I heard of someone who got £100 for every A* and a bit less for an A:erm:
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
My friend is getting £200 for every A* she gets and £100 for every A. However, even after a load of revision she can't get As and A*s for most her subjects. The only A she ever got was in English and Media Studies mock exams.
So hopefully when I help her with her studies shes at least gonna get a couple of As :smile:
But it is a bit excessive tbh. The grades should be the gift but a little bonus treat won't hurt haha like going to a festival or going to a restaurant etc but £200 for every A* that's a bit over the top!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should ask for a cut... lol :wink:
I remember I got a card and money for every A or something, can't remember how much I got in total.
I would be up for encouraging my daughter to do well via financial incentive. I don't see any harm in treating education a bit like a job. If she was a solid C grade student then I would put a high reward on A*s. If she was predicted a full set of As I would take money off for lesser grades. Even if it turns out she isn't academic I would want to find a way to reward her for working hard and doing well.

She is a year 1 now so I can bribe with penny sweets for the time being.
Original post by Ishan_2000
I just think it it stupid because they are getting paid for what's expected, in a way. Some would argue it is an incentive, but I think it is just excessive and unnecessary by parents.

Perhaps parents would like to reward their kids for their hard work? Nothing wrong with that.
Reply 30
My grandma said she would give me £1000 if i got AAB at alevel. i didnt though
(edited 8 years ago)
My parents won't pay for the grades I get because they say I should motivate myself but they will treat me with a holiday/ new trombone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mkap
My grandma said she would give me £100 pound if i got AAB at alevel. i didnt though

Awkward
Original post by cherryred90s
Perhaps parents would like to reward their kids for their hard work? Nothing wrong with that.

I understand that. But, the only instances I have heard in my school are excessive, such as £50+.

I am not arguing with a reward, because a reward is deserved and fine. But, most of the ones I have heard in my school are too over-the-top, and incredible.

Maybe I am being a bit jealous of those big money rewards, perhaps I am just being pragmatic.

But, I would argue that the reward for all the hard work is the A* - the grades themselves.
I recently found out that some people in my school actually receive money for every A* they get in their GCSEs!! One person was saying that they will receive £50 for every A* OR A they achieve in their GCSEs!! This is so stupid!

Is this common? Will any of you get paid for doing well in your GCSEs, or did you get paid for your GCSE results?

Woah, that's the kind of motivation I was missing out on.
Reply 35
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Awkward

i meant £1000, i already knew i wouldnt get it
I knew someone who I think knew someone who did.
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
Yup hahaha! Shes from a well off family though and I am sure she'll get a couple hundred pounds no matter what her grade is haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough - woah! If I were to ask, I'd be lucky (reallyyy lucky) to get that altogether! I'm just speechless :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I understand that. But, the only instances I have heard in my school are excessive, such as £50+.

I am not arguing with a reward, because a reward is deserved and fine. But, most of the ones I have heard in my school are too over-the-top, and incredible.

Maybe I am being a bit jealous of those big money rewards, perhaps I am just being pragmatic.

But, I would argue that the reward for all the hard work is the A* - the grades themselves.

Yeah, you do sound a bit jealous tbh.
Good grades are rewarding in themselves yes, but maybe the kid was struggling with a particular subject or revised really hard. As long as they don't expect it or ask for it, I think it's nice for parents to reward them in that way.
My friend is getting £100 towards a car for every A he gets... My parents are not paying me:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest