The Student Room Group

Chosen Name at University

So all my life I have never been called from my biological first name. I actually sadly hate my first name and just find it embarassing/not me.
Applying for uni has been hard as whenever I get emails from my uni's and even at my interviews they didn't use my chosen name and I felt so embarassed having to say my real name at the interviews as I'm so not used to it.
So I've firmed and insured now but I don't know whether to email my uni's requesting them to only use my chosen name (which is part of my middle name so not made up) as I am really embarassed and feel so awkward if I get to uni and all my stuff and my roomates figure out my real name.
I'm so embarassed by the name that even my friends don't know my real name as I requested the school didn't use it and it is only on exam papers that I write it ever.
I plan on legally changing my name but only when I'm not living with my parents anymore as I feel they'll be ashamed and not approve it.

Sorry this is so long and it may not seem a big deal to people but I really don't know what to do and if I should email my uni's to ask or whether they'll refuse.
Original post by Anonymous
So all my life I have never been called from my biological first name. I actually sadly hate my first name and just find it embarassing/not me.
Applying for uni has been hard as whenever I get emails from my uni's and even at my interviews they didn't use my chosen name and I felt so embarassed having to say my real name at the interviews as I'm so not used to it.
So I've firmed and insured now but I don't know whether to email my uni's requesting them to only use my chosen name (which is part of my middle name so not made up) as I am really embarassed and feel so awkward if I get to uni and all my stuff and my roomates figure out my real name.
I'm so embarassed by the name that even my friends don't know my real name as I requested the school didn't use it and it is only on exam papers that I write it ever.
I plan on legally changing my name but only when I'm not living with my parents anymore as I feel they'll be ashamed and not approve it.

Sorry this is so long and it may not seem a big deal to people but I really don't know what to do and if I should email my uni's to ask or whether they'll refuse.

No harm in emailing them to ask but it could be they only use legal names for correspondence
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
No harm in emailing them to ask but it could be they only use legal names for correspondence

I'm not sure as my firm choice used my chosen name to address me only when they gave me my offer all the other times they only used my biological name.
My insurance choice has never used my chosen name and when I went to my interview to sign it I was so confused as I wasn't sure which name they were using - making myself look stupid infront of them -__-

I have to send some documents off to them because of my course, Maybe I should put my chosen name in brackets after my real name or would that be innappropriate
I'm not sure as my firm choice used my chosen name to address me only when they gave me my offer all the other times they only used my biological name.
My insurance choice has never used my chosen name and when I went to my interview to sign it I was so confused as I wasn't sure which name they were using - making myself look stupid infront of them -__-

I have to send some documents off to them because of my course, Maybe I should put my chosen name in brackets after my real name or would that be innappropriate

I think you d saved yourself a lot of hassle if you got a name change prior to starting uni as otherwise you could cause a fair bit of confusion getting everything changed then. I m not sure writing your chosen name on anything official would be appropriate
Reply 4
I think you d saved yourself a lot of hassle if you got a name change prior to starting uni as otherwise you could cause a fair bit of confusion getting everything changed then. I m not sure writing your chosen name on anything official would be appropriate

My parents won't allow me to. I know it's soo confusing and I'd rather no one used my actual name (there is nothing embarassing about it really but it is just a case of I'm really not used to it and it doesn't feel natural saying it as I was never called by that name)
I only actually found out about 3 years years ago that it was my real first name and it's confused everything
I'll email them and se what they say as this issue is really stressing me out
My parents won't allow me to. I know it's soo confusing and I'd rather no one used my actual name (there is nothing embarassing about it really but it is just a case of I'm really not used to it and it doesn't feel natural saying it as I was never called by that name)
I only actually found out about 3 years years ago that it was my real first name and it's confused everything
I'll email them and se what they say as this issue is really stressing me out

Legally you can change it when you re over 16 without parents permission.
Reply 6
Legally you can change it when you re over 16 without parents permission.

I know that, but with strict parents like mine, I can't just make decisions like that without their approval...
Reply 7
OP, I know the pain - in a way. I have two first names, and I hate them both. I'm always referred to as a nickname of my first first name (if that makes sense).

Isn't there an option of 'preferred name' on any of those forms? And I would email the unis saying that you'd rather be addressed as your nickname.
Reply 8
Original post by Airmed
OP, I know the pain - in a way. I have two first names, and I hate them both. I'm always referred to as a nickname of my first first name (if that makes sense).

Isn't there an option of 'preferred name' on any of those forms? And I would email the unis saying that you'd rather be addressed as your nickname.

Yes on my UCAS application there is an option for chosen name which I put. But it seems they haven't been using that.
It's hard as my chosen name is only part of another name I have so not an easy one to shorten like from Thomas to Tom :/
I'm about to email them but I'm not sure how to word it without myself sounding like I loathe the name and demanding they never use it (I obviously don't want them to know that)
I know that, but with strict parents like mine, I can't just make decisions like that without their approval...

Yes you can...
Reply 10
Yes on my UCAS application there is an option for chosen name which I put. But it seems they haven't been using that.
It's hard as my chosen name is only part of another name I have so not an easy one to shorten like from Thomas to Tom :/
I'm about to email them but I'm not sure how to word it without myself sounding like I loathe the name and demanding they never use it (I obviously don't want them to know that)

My nickname is half of my name. It's a bit easier for me.

Just email them saying you put on ucas what your preferred name is and you would politely like them to use that. :h:
Original post by anonwinner
Yes you can...

I know that I can.
It is a situation really that I cannot just go against what my family say without punishment -despite what age I am.
As long as I'm under their roof it really is a thing of I cannot just make life decisions without their consent.
I don't think you understand.
I know that I can.
It is a situation really that I cannot just go against what my family say without punishment -despite what age I am.
As long as I'm under their roof it really is a thing of I cannot just make life decisions without their consent.

I didn't realise you lived with your parents
I know that I can.

You don't have to tell them you've done it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending