The Student Room Group

People get paid by their parents for doing well?!

Scroll to see replies

My parents didn't pay for grades but when I did well they rewarded me with a present :biggrin:
Original post by Blondie987
My parents didn't pay for grades but when I did well they rewarded me with a present :biggrin:

Aww that's lovely:yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
empty bribes from dad looooool
Ah, that reminds me of the good 'ole days. Did my iGCSEs at 13. Father decided to give me a $1000 for every A*. Unfortunately I only got 3A* and 9As. Yeah, I still have some money left over cause I don't know what to spend it on! Seems excessive already...
Original post by cherryred90s
Yeah, you do sound a bit jealous tbh.
Good grades are rewarding in themselves yes, but maybe the kid was struggling with a particular subject or revised really hard. As long as they don't expect it or ask for it, I think it's nice for parents to reward them in that way.

Yeah, it is nice for parents to reward them. They definitely should not ask for a reward, or expect it, yes. That is true.
My parents paid towards my end of year holiday because I did well in my GCSE's. But - it wasn't agreed on beforehand and I didn't know they would do that - so I think I would probably do the same for my kids. I think the whole monetary-grade exchange thing is a little bit too crude for me!
Original post by Ishan_2000
I recently found out that some people in my school actually receive money for every A* they get in their GCSEs!! One person was saying that they will receive £50 for every A* OR A they achieve in their GCSEs!! This is so stupid!

Is this common? Will any of you get paid for doing well in your GCSEs, or did you get paid for your GCSE results?

£50... my friend got a new mercedes e-class for passing with 4 A*s
i did not i managed to convince my parents to buy me a magnum of prosecco though for a pair of b's
and one of the guy's in college got a porshe 911 and a platinum rolex daydate from his dad

Spoiler

Personally, I feel like getting good grades will already pay off later on when I can apply for better paid jobs, so here's no need to get any money as a present.
Original post by Matrix123
Fair enough - woah! If I were to ask, I'd be lucky (reallyyy lucky) to get that altogether! I'm just speechless :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I've been promised £1800 and an iphone 7 when it comes out. Other things as well but I told them its too much ahahaha and would much rather prefer it if they took me on holiday to two places that I want to go to haha with my family but they said that could be added to the list of things I'll get hahaha!
Honestly though if I did get amazing grades I probs wouldn't care even if they got me nothing or said congrats lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Des_Lumières
You should ask for a cut... lol :wink:

Hahahaha good idea!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
My parents do that too :redface: For GCSE it was £50 for each pass and for Alevel its £100 for A/A*. NGL it sounds a bit silly but it works for me
I don't want money my biggest gift would be getting into sixth form college and being able to do what A levels I want to do, thus being able to study what I was to at university. I am putting the effort in for my own future, not for some incentive offered to me. At the end, it will pay off itself when you have a good paying job and can afford to live the lifestyle you want to live.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 52
I never really got paid to do well by my parents.

My Further Maths teacher however offered us money for doing well. For one exam he offered £10 for anyone who gets 95% or above, and £20 for anyone who gets 100%. Exam ended up harder than expected, and some people ended up getting less than 90% so he ended up adding an extra reward of £5 for anyone who got 90% and above (there was at least one person who got 95%, but not a single 100%). I managed to get the £5. The class did consist of 7 people though, that's why he was so generous.

He also offered £100 to everyone, if we all got A* in Further Maths. Didn't happen, lol.
I recently found out that some people in my school actually receive money for every A* they get in their GCSEs!! One person was saying that they will receive £50 for every A* OR A they achieve in their GCSEs!! This is so stupid!

Is this common? Will any of you get paid for doing well in your GCSEs, or did you get paid for your GCSE results?

I don't know about common, but it does happen. I'll probably get something for my GCSEs but I think that £50 odd quid is a good incentive for many students who might otherwise just play the fool :wink:.

I'm sure it works, and if I get anything I'll definitely put it towards college and uni so yeah, it's not that unusual although the amount (£50) might be :smile:.
I don't agree with it because I think it encourages the attitude that learning is a "chore"
Original post by TuppenceB
I don't know about common, but it does happen. I'll probably get something for my GCSEs but I think that £50 odd quid is a good incentive for many students who might otherwise just play the fool :wink:.

I'm sure it works, and if I get anything I'll definitely put it towards college and uni so yeah, it's not that unusual although the amount (£50) might be :smile:.

Yeah, that seems to be the general answer. It does happen, but the amounts seem to vary a lot.
Yeah, that seems to be the general answer. It does happen, but the amounts seem to vary a lot.

Agreed. What about you, are you getting anything?
My parents didn't give me money for my GCSEs but they did buy me a cake that was shaped like a pug!:biggrin::run:

To be fair, seeing as some people pay loads of money to send their children to private schools so their children will get good grades, other parents giving their children a bit of money to incentivise them isn't that strange
Original post by Christie_xx
My parents didn't give me money for my GCSEs but they did buy me a cake that was shaped like a pug!:biggrin::run:

To be fair, seeing as some people pay loads of money to send their children to private schools so their children will get good grades, other parents giving their children a bit of money to incentivise them isn't that strange

So kind of like making up for not sending us to private school then :biggrin:. That's good, didn't think of it like that before.
I'm not "focussing" on these people. I am just pointing them out, and wanted to know if this was a common thing.

Cool.

And, I don't think it is a common thing.

Quick Reply

Latest