Giving it my best shot!

Scroll to see replies

Update #6

I didn't really do anything today...

I did some Redox equilibria questions for my first lesson

Then i bailed on school, went home and caught up on sleep

Woke up 10 minutes before work, proceeded to go to work till 9pm

I Chatted to my sister for a good 2 hours lol

I spoke to some naughty children about why they're naughty and how we can change their behavior (this was quite possibly the biggest waste of time i've ever had to endure)

Tomorrows plans

Work from 10am-2pm

Physics past papers (the june 2012 series)

Make flashcards/ notes from the past papers i've done this week

To do the tricky FP2 and M3 questions in the review exercise

Wake up at 8am to go for a brief run, then cycle to Dobbie's to get my mum a plant

I might add some more tasks to the list, but this is the bare bones of what i want to accomplish tomorrow.
Original post by Student403
Be proud man!

Most people at my school tend to not do STEM subjects, so we're very much a minority (emphasis on maths) so i presume they're thinking "wtf is this kid on a about, he's getting 3 A-levels for 1 subject"

But thank you (Deadpool/Spiderman) :tongue:
Original post by Joshthemathmo
Most people at my school tend to not do STEM subjects, so we're very much a minority (emphasis on maths) so i presume they're thinking "wtf is this kid on a about, he's getting 3 A-levels for 1 subject"

But thank you (Deadpool/Spiderman) :tongue:

Ahh gotcha!
So tell us, whats the story about your profile image josh the math mo? Also what is 'dobbies' ? isnt that from harry potter?
Update #7

I've accomplished my goals for the week, which is a bonus

Today i did a Phys 5 past paper and got to about 1 hour in and it got too tedious so i bailed. But i did still manage to get the ones i answered correct

Then i practiced polar coordinates, did some STEP mechanics questions from the Silkos booklets

Now i'm going to do a FP3 past paper

*room to update with goals for the proceeding week*

FP3 June 13, 72/75 raw
I'll add a commentary about how i thought the paper was, and my targets to work towards later. I'm too tired to do anything atm...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AdamThePhysicsMo
So tell us, whats the story about your profile image josh the math mo? Also what is 'dobbies' ? isnt that from harry potter?

It's a cool chemical i found on google images lol

It's the local garden center, not a movie...
Update #7

I've accomplished my goals for the week, which is a bonus

Today i did a Phys 5 past paper and got to about 1 hour in and it got too tedious so i bailed. But i did still manage to get the ones i answered correct

Then i practiced polar coordinates, did some STEP mechanics questions from the Silkos booklets

Now i'm going to do a FP3 past paper

*room to update with goals for the proceeding week*

FP3 June 13, 72/75 raw
I'll add a commentary about how i thought the paper was, and my targets to work towards later. I'm too tired to do anything atm...

Wow man nice, im glad you met your goals! Maybe you should set some more challenging goals to keep you on your toes this week? especially since you have more time this week !

But im like 95% sure 'dobbies' is from harry potter look:

Spoiler

Original post by AdamThePhysicsMo
Wow man nice, im glad you met your goals! Maybe you should set some more challenging goals to keep you on your toes this week? especially since you have more time this week !

But im like 95% sure 'dobbies' is from harry potter look:

Spoiler

:rofl: too much, i can't cope.

Thanks
I'll draft some plans for what my plans and objectives for the week will be, then i'll update tomorrow with a idea of what i want to do. I don't want to be doing anything too demanding atm as i'm in the learning stage, i'll start serious work around April.
Update #8

What i did:

The mechanics on STEP III 09

recapped the chapters of M4, except relative motion. I'm leaving that monster for tomorrow.

Made some notes on catalysis

notes on particle accelerators

What i should've done

Not STEP

Finish of the inorganic on CHEM5

gone to the army drop in session at lunch. (for an article i was supposed to write)

Update, March 2nd:
Maths progress:
I've been working through the FP3, M4 and M5 review exercises the past two days.
Chemistry progress:
Feasibility of a reaction using electrode potentials. And I finally understand catalysis!
Physics update:
Particle physics and cosmology is done, I'm going to practise these by doing some questions. Then I'll start recapping all the other topics gradually.

The above was what i've been doing over monday and tuesday.

I've been feeling quite ILL today, so I just dropped everything and slept from 3 to 8 Pm. I finished of chapters 1 and 2 of m5 today, and I made some real progress with moments of inertia ( using calculus from first principles was difficult for me to apply, but it seems fairly intuitive now). As well as having enough time to do some physics problems on Isaac physics and doing the problem sheet my teacher gave me.

I'm going to relax this evening and I'll have an early night.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 50
Oh my God I wish I was half as productive... Good luck, I'll be following this for inspiration!
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Oh my God I wish I was half as productive... Good luck, I'll be following this for inspiration!

Thanks buddy! :tongue:
Wasn't it IAL results day today? or is it tomorrow. either way good luck for it.
5/03/16

Hi guys, i've been slacking on updating this blog this week i should be doing better. So i've just got back from work, i'm really tired from my night out last night so i'm going to have to fight the urge to not sleep.
My goals for today are:

Complete and mark the unit 4 jan 13 Chemistry paper

Do the review exercises in the M3 book

I may write some flashcards, but i'm undoubtedly going to end up doing some form of maths today... I'll probably do some an AEA paper or something to warm up getting back into STEP.
5/03/16

Hi guys, i've been slacking on updating this blog this week i should be doing better. So i've just got back from work, i'm really tired from my night out last night so i'm going to have to fight the urge to not sleep.
My goals for today are:

Complete and mark the unit 4 jan 13 Chemistry paper

Do the review exercises in the M3 book

I may write some flashcards, but i'm undoubtedly going to end up doing some form of maths today... I'll probably do some an AEA paper or something to warm up getting back into STEP.

I just stumbled across a post of yours somewhere of you doing early cores 2014.. How far you have come :3
Original post by Student403
I just stumbled across a post of yours somewhere of you doing early cores 2014.. How far you have come :3

Sorry, what do you mean by early cores? (do you mean maths modules? I self taught A-level maths, and AS in FM last year)
Sorry, what do you mean by early cores? (do you mean maths modules? I self taught A-level maths, and AS in FM last year)

Yeah those :smile: C1/2
Goals for the week 06/03/15:Maths goals:

Spoiler

Chemistry goals:

Spoiler

Physics goals:

Spoiler

Maths update:

I've just done the STEP 2 2013 paper as my first proper mock. I've just realised how much more difficult doing a paper under timed conditions is, i made so many silly errors and didn't spot obvious things.

I got fulls on questions 12, 11, 2 and 1 with partials on 8 and 10. I'm not too sure how to mark STEP, so i hedged my bets to say i got 94/120, which seems reasonable which is a 1. If anyone want s to check it i'd appreciate it.

EDIT: The applied in this paper was very nice, i really like Q12!
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm going to start a new strategy, of the old but great method of doing a little a day every day; spending time with friends to relax a bit more. My plan for tomorrow is to: do the two vector questions from the correspondence course, mixed excercise of FP3 chapter 2 (5 max) , questions on redox potential (2 max) and do a particle physics Q

I'm finding that the weekly plans don't work very well for me, as i like planning what my daily goals are in the morning. I'm not under any urgency atm, but i don't want to end up becoming complacent so i feel the method above will work rather well for me.

EDIT: I sort of completed these goals, woo go me!
(edited 8 years ago)
Wednesday, 9th March 2016
Summary of what i did today:

The two STEP vector questions i mentioned, they uncovered the realm of how vectors are awesome. But alas my geometry skills suck... So i need to work on that possibly

Suummarised the properties of particles (mesons have 2 quarks, baryons have 3 and the conservation laws in writing the equations of decay)

Lots of reading on chemguide to further my understanding of transition metals and electrode potentials(they're simply equilibrium reactions)

I'm still unsure to whether i got through to round 2 of the chem olympiad as my teacher has been quite busy lately... my fingers are crossed though.

My plan for tomorrow:

FP3 mock

revisit M3 by doing some of TeeEm's difficult circular motion and statics questions

work towards finishing off Chemistry

Write down keywords for Chemistry

EDIT: I did the FP3 paper i struggled on the vectors question at the end, but it went quite well i got 71. I tried to do some M3 questions but became complacent and started doing some reading for Chemistry. I'm going to work on Chemistry transition metals for the next few hours, whilst i play around with the Bristol DLM applicants page since it has some really good resources!!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending