The Student Room Group

Upcoming 2016 GCSE's

So like many of us here at TSR, my exams are coming up very soon (time feels as if it is flyinggg), my first exam is on the 23rd may and my final exam is on the 22nd June. I have 16 exams in total, which consist of the usual maths and English, as well as Triple science, Computer Science, History and German.

I'm expected an A in everything and an A* in computer science (very passionate about technology). In my mocks I did get an A in everything, and an A* for biology chemistry and physics. However, I feel as if I fluked these completely and I'm worried I won't get results like these in my main gcses in the Summer.

I've been revising, but the problem is I don't actually know how to revise. I pretty much just read through past papers and note down topics that come up frequently as well as topics I don't understand. So what I'm asking is, how do you guys revise? And how often and at what time of the day. I'm trying to start FULL revision as soon as possible, I don't want to make the mistake of leaving it too late (except I don't know when 'too late' exactly is).

Another thing is my A-Level options. I'm pretty ambitious when it comes to my future; I always see jobs I'm interested in such as accountancy, banking etc. Because of my 'can't make up my mind what I wanna do when I'm older' problem, I'm trying to keep my options as wide as possible. Do you guys think Maths, Physics and Computer science are three good options to pick for my A levels? I'm passionate about these subjects and do tend to enjoy lessons in them. I can also pick a 4th option, but I think that might be too much effort.

Any help / tips would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Flashcards. Snm.
Reply 2
Original post by Oblivion99
Flashcards. Snm.

I've made bare of them still, mainly for science.
I'm just as nervous as you :colondollar:
As for wanting to do banking or accountancy, why don't you check out Economics :smile:
Reply 4
Mathswatch is helpful. After you have watched the videos, do some practice questions.
Revise notes, and then teach another person what you have learnt.
Flashcards.
:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
I'm just as nervous as you :colondollar:
As for wanting to do banking or accountancy, why don't you check out Economics :smile:

Ahh I've been told not to worry about them too much, the last thing I want to do is go into the exam with a lot of stress on my Shoulders. But lmao I'm guessing once they're over and done with we're just gonna be thinking "wow that went fast".

And thanks, I'll definitely try researching some Economics and I'll see whether it is something I'll be interested in
Reply 6
Original post by iKiss.
Mathswatch is helpful. After you have watched the videos, do some practice questions.
Revise notes, and then teach another person what you have learnt.
Flashcards.
:smile:

Thanks for the tips! When is the best time to start FULL revision btw? Some people have started in December, and some people are planning to start like a week or two before the exams. I've read loads of posts on TSR of people revising very late and still nailing them As and A*'s.
Reply 7
Original post by 1rs
Thanks for the tips! When is the best time to start FULL revision btw? Some people have started in December, and some people are planning to start like a week or two before the exams. I've read loads of posts on TSR of people revising very late and still nailing them As and A*'s.

You're asking me? :biggrin: I'm in the same situation as you, and all I do is procrastinate! :tongue: I have mocks this week, and not even touched a single book. But I'm going to hopefully start revising this week, for each subject, once I've created revision timetable.Start as early as possible and you'll be fine. Good luck :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by iKiss.
You're asking me? :biggrin: I'm in the same situation as you, and all I do is procrastinate! :tongue: I have mocks this week, and not even touched a single book. But I'm going to hopefully start revising this week, for each subject, once I've created revision timetable.Start as early as possible and you'll be fine. Good luck :smile:

Thanks ahaha good luck to you too! My mocks are next week, Monday is my P4-6 paper and I haven't revised at all, however I still remember the key facts from my lessons. What I do is focus more in lessons so there is less revision for me to do
Original post by 1rs
So like many of us here at TSR, my exams are coming up very soon (time feels as if it is flyinggg), my first exam is on the 23rd may and my final exam is on the 22nd June. I have 16 exams in total, which consist of the usual maths and English, as well as Triple science, Computer Science, History and German.

I'm expected an A in everything and an A* in computer science (very passionate about technology). In my mocks I did get an A in everything, and an A* for biology chemistry and physics. However, I feel as if I fluked these completely and I'm worried I won't get results like these in my main gcses in the Summer.

I've been revising, but the problem is I don't actually know how to revise. I pretty much just read through past papers and note down topics that come up frequently as well as topics I don't understand. So what I'm asking is, how do you guys revise? And how often and at what time of the day. I'm trying to start FULL revision as soon as possible, I don't want to make the mistake of leaving it too late (except I don't know when 'too late' exactly is).

Another thing is my A-Level options. I'm pretty ambitious when it comes to my future; I always see jobs I'm interested in such as accountancy, banking etc. Because of my 'can't make up my mind what I wanna do when I'm older' problem, I'm trying to keep my options as wide as possible. Do you guys think Maths, Physics and Computer science are three good options to pick for my A levels? I'm passionate about these subjects and do tend to enjoy lessons in them. I can also pick a 4th option, but I think that might be too much effort.

Flashcards have always been my favourite! I'm in the same situation as you and I have no idea when to start memorising because right now I'm just making revision resources (notes and flashcards).

I feel like I'm behind, but then you look at some other people in the year and so realise you're actually ahead lol.
Reply 10
Original post by romansholiday
Flashcards have always been my favourite! I'm in the same situation as you and I have no idea when to start memorising because right now I'm just making revision resources (notes and flashcards).

I feel like I'm behind, but then you look at some other people in the year and so realise you're actually ahead lol.

Lmao that's so true! A lot of people in my year are in the "I don't really care about them, they're not important anyway..." attitude towards GCSE.
Original post by 1rs

focus revision on content, not just on hours, that what im doing at least.
Start slow now, earlier the better!
Also doing GCSEs.

If you're passionate about computers, why not try a computer science degree? Especially since you're ambitious, since computer science grads are highly sought after and you can earn a lot. Just a thought tho, dont change your careers because some random guy told you to.

If you're keeping options open, i recommend Maths, Further Maths, physics and econ
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by theconfusedman
focus revision on content, not just on hours, that what im doing at least.
Start slow now, earlier the better!
Also doing GCSEs.

If you're passionate about computers, why not try a computer science degree? Especially since you're ambitious, since computer science grads are highly sought after and you can earn a lot. Just a thought tho, dont change your careers because some random guy told you to

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely take them into account. I'm trying to make sure that 100% of what I revise would actually stay in my head, otherwise it really is just wasted time.

LMAO man, I've already thought about doing that but I'll consider my university choice more towards the time. But it will definitely be something that I would be interested in. To be quite honest with you, I just want a job that I can make a lot of money off. Seems selfish I know and money definitely doesn't buy happiness, but I wouldn't mind doing all my crying in a brand new Lamborghini :wink:
Original post by 1rs
Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely take them into account. I'm trying to make sure that 100% of what I revise would actually stay in my head, otherwise it really is just wasted time.

LMAO man, I've already thought about doing that but I'll consider my university choice more towards the time. But it will definitely be something that I would be interested in. To be quite honest with you, I just want a job that I can make a lot of money off. Seems selfish I know and money definitely doesn't buy happiness, but I wouldn't mind doing all my crying in a brand new Lamborghini :wink:

Haha always happy to help!

I got a similar attitude to, money is obviously important no matter what others say!
I too aint fully decided, probs gonna think about it next year
Good luck!
Reply 14
Original post by theconfusedman
Haha always happy to help!

I got a similar attitude to, money is obviously important no matter what others say!
I too aint fully decided, probs gonna think about it next year
Good luck!

Haha definitely, what are you thinking about doing for A-Levels tho?
I'm having the same issue, I don't know how or for how long I should revise... I've tried so many methods but nothing really sticks, I think going through past papers and just practising is the best way for me. I'm targeted A's in everything (science, English, maths, applied business, food tech and environmental and land based science) and a B in German, I got B's in my mocks at Christmas for everything apart from science and English where I got C's, so clearly the past papers aren't working for those subjects... I'm starting to worry as there isn't much time left and I need B's in these subjects for my A-level choices, and to be honest I don't really want anything below a B for anything on results day!
Reply 16
Original post by AmeliaRose1237
I'm having the same issue, I don't know how or for how long I should revise... I've tried so many methods but nothing really sticks, I think going through past papers and just practising is the best way for me. I'm targeted A's in everything (science, English, maths, applied business, food tech and environmental and land based science) and a B in German, I got B's in my mocks at Christmas for everything apart from science and English where I got C's, so clearly the past papers aren't working for those subjects... I'm starting to worry as there isn't much time left and I need B's in these subjects for my A-level choices, and to be honest I don't really want anything below a B for anything on results day!

Same here, as much as I would love to get straight A's and above, I know (well I think) I won't be able to achieve them, even though they are my predicted grades. I've set my personal target for everything above a B which would seem more realistic. I'm thinking of doing Physics for A-Levels and I need a B to do it, so I will definitely try hard in that.

A really good thing for me though, is that my coursework in ALL my subjects have really helped, in Germany my courseworks are both an A and A*, in English my coursework is an A, in history it's an A, computer science it's also an A, and we're yet to find out our science coursework results but I really did try hard at them courseworks so I would hope I achieve above a B in them. Coursework can go either of two ways - it can really push our overall grade up, or it can pull our overall grade down. That's why I knew I needed to try my best at the courseworks in each subject as I knew it would be my saviour if anything went wrong.
Original post by 1rs
Same here, as much as I would love to get straight A's and above, I know (well I think) I won't be able to achieve them, even though they are my predicted grades. I've set my personal target for everything above a B which would seem more realistic. I'm thinking of doing Physics for A-Levels and I need a B to do it, so I will definitely try hard in that.

A really good thing for me though, is that my coursework in ALL my subjects have really helped, in Germany my courseworks are both an A and A*, in English my coursework is an A, in history it's an A, computer science it's also an A, and we're yet to find out our science coursework results but I really did try hard at them courseworks so I would hope I achieve above a B in them. Coursework can go either of two ways - it can really push our overall grade up, or it can pull our overall grade down. That's why I knew I needed to try my best at the courseworks in each subject as I knew it would be my saviour if anything went wrong.

I want to do biology, sociology, phycology and maths at A-level, I've got A's in all my coursework apart from Environmental science which i got A*, German where I got a B and English where I got C, however I'm currently in the process of re-doing them...

If your coursework is worth 60% then I've been told that if you have an A* in coursework then you still need quite a strong B in exams to get an A over all?!?:s-smilie: I feel like I should be revising more, I'm in the middle of mocks at the minute but I don't know where to start!:bricks:
Reply 18
Original post by AmeliaRose1237
I want to do biology, sociology, phycology and maths at A-level, I've got A's in all my coursework apart from Environmental science which i got A*, German where I got a B and English where I got C, however I'm currently in the process of re-doing them...

If your coursework is worth 60% then I've been told that if you have an A* in coursework then you still need quite a strong B in exams to get an A over all?!?:s-smilie: I feel like I should be revising more, I'm in the middle of mocks at the minute but I don't know where to start!:bricks:

Firstly, well done! It's good to have achieved coursework grades like that as it would put you in a good position in may/June when the actual exams are taking place.

To get a strong B in an exam shouldn't actually be that hard. A little weight could also be lifted off your shoulders because you don't need to go hard on yourself to revise a lot more. Getting straights A's would be Amazing, and knowing that it would be easier to get them A's s, thanks to your coursework, is something to really be proud of at this point
Original post by 1rs
Haha definitely, what are you thinking about doing for A-Levels tho?

Maths, Further Maths, Economics + Physics wbu?

Quick Reply

Latest