The Student Room Group

Would you date someone who ISN'T a career woman?

Just curious really. I'm at decent uni (in the top 5) and whilst I want a decent job to pay the bills I don't really aspire to break my neck in the rat race or being a corporate slave. I'm going to graduate with a good degree and I've always worked hard, so it's not to say I have no ambition whatsoever, I just aspire towards balance in life. At uni I'm surrounded by intensely competitive people and chronic perfectionists. I don't think a flashy career will fulfil or complete me at all and I don't think it's worth the stress or sacrifice. And whilst I enjoy a few nice things I'm not really into materialism or having lots of money. I value the relationship I have with others, my family and with myself much more.

So yeah, what do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

Personally no. I only want to marry a woman who is earning similar to me & has the same interests.
Yes. I think it's a pity more women don't value family life.
(edited 8 years ago)
Some people will say yes, some will say no. It's all down to personal preference, same as anything else.
Reply 4
No, I won't date a golddigger
Reply 5
Original post by GUMI
No, I won't date a golddigger

Ah, so there's only two types of woman? Golddiggers and career women? :colonhash:
Reply 6
Original post by Fickschlitten
Personally no. I only want to marry a woman who is earning similar to me & has the same interests.

Fair enough that you want a woman with the same pay packet as you. Though I'm not sure where the interests come into it. Part of my point was a career woman will usually have very little time for interests and other pursuits.
Reply 7
Yeah, I just find career-women to be robots :/ I get wanting to work, but the woman would need interests and hobbies outside of work.
Reply 8
Original post by georgiaswift
Some people will say yes, some will say no. It's all down to personal preference, same as anything else.

True. I was just curious for some opinions, that's all.
Well you clearly are a career woman by definition anyway.
Original post by Arkasia
Yeah, I just find career-women to be robots :/ I get wanting to work, but the woman would need interests and hobbies outside of work.

Such as? I have none :sigh:
Original post by mightybis0n
Yes. I think it's a pity more women don't value family life more.

Well that's because careers are the most important thing. And regurgitation, sorry I meant education :tongue:
Original post by Anonymous
Such as? I have none :sigh:

What do you do when you aren't working?
Don't care as long as she values her family more and will give me lots of children.
As long as she does SOMETHING (i.e. running a small business, volunteering, advising boards of trustees, pursuing a time consuming hobby etc), I'd be fine with it. Genuinely don't subscribe to the whole stay at home and do nothing wife model, I want my partner to have goals and aims that are beyond just family life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arkasia
What do you do when you aren't working?

Browse the Internet quite a lot and read. Not really hobbies tho.. I tend to work quite a bit actually. I don't mind having a part time job although I don't want to work full time.
Well that's because careers are the most important thing. And regurgitation, sorry I meant education :tongue:

Family > careers. To most women anyway. Would much rather a housewife over a career one.
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Well you clearly are a career woman by definition anyway.

I wouldn't say so. Yes indeed I will have a 'career' but my point is I'm not going to indulge in the stress of climbing the corporate ladder, and stashing money in the bank other things are more important and fulfilling to me. I aim to work a job based on how happy it makes me rather than how much money it makes. Regrettably, I have been nearing the end of a STEM degree but I don't wish to work in the science industry, but perhaps some sort of creative industry or be self employed. I've actually already been making a start by working for myself during the summer vacation selling baby toys online and had moderate success.
I wouldn't say so. Yes indeed I will have a 'career' but my point is I'm not going to indulge in the stress of climbing the corporate ladder, and stashing money in the bank other things are more important and fulfilling to me. I aim to work a job based on how happy it makes me rather than how much money it makes. Regrettably, I have been nearing the end of a STEM degree but I don't wish to work in the science industry, but perhaps some sort of creative industry or be self employed. I've actually already been making a start by working for myself during the summer vacation selling baby toys online and had moderate success.

I'd rather it. I hate the corporate world and could not bother dealing with a partner that was tied up in it. I wouldn't be able to support her as the ******** she would go through would just piss me off.

I'm wanting to pursue police work, with little intention to settle at the lower tiers of said work.
Unless you end up with a wealthy guy, you're going to have to work either way if you want financial stability :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending