The Student Room Group

How can people break the unemployed/inexperienced cycle

Alot of people who have not been fortunate enough to have a job lined up for themselves upon graduation fall into this horrid cycle.

Cant get a job without experience, cant get experience without a job, there are plenty of articles online about the hordes of people (not just students) who fall into this, and what i would like to know from people on here, is how would YOU realistically recommend breaking that?

I have been told that being unemployed for as little as a month can reduce your chances of employment, recruiters (internal and external) generally prefer to work with people that are already in employment and alot of them wont bother getting back to you once the gap has started to build up

If you are like many jobseekers, you realise that 1 month of being unemployed can very quickly turn to 2/3/4 months, and while you are spending your days trying to be productive with your job search, nothing changes, everything keeps on moving and before long you are 'stuck', by many people's standards your already on your way to being unemployable simply because of how long you haven't worked for, and if your like me, probably got to the point where there are so many jobs you cant even apply for anymore because you've done them all but they are still being advertised.

So to those that found themselves in this situation and managed to get out of it (obviously by getting a job), or know someone else that was, what did you/they do to help yourselves? When i was job searching i nearly offered myself to a local charity shop, asked them if i could just sit in the back all day doing 'finance' work, as i thought it would be relevent, and even in that situation i was told there was no space for me

Some people say 'any' experience is relevent and people should do anything they can to keep their CV going, but i very much disagree, and i may be very wrong about this, but i doubt that 3 months working as a voluntary rubbish collector puts you in a better position to get a 20k job at a top 100 company, but as i said, i would love to hear your opinions on what you can 'realistically' do to save yourself from this before it gets too late

Scroll to see replies

You already appear set in your ways.

When you go for a job you need to be the person that has the most to offer and can convince the employer that is the case.

It stands to reason you need to work on all aspects of making that happen.
It's not clear what sort of grad job it is that you want. Or are you just trying to get 'any' job?

You should be doing voluntary work of some description. Apart from all the many benefits his brings, this will help to get you out of the negative and clearly self-fulfilling trap you appear to have fallen in to.

My guess is you need to focus up your job search and look at the quality of the applications you are making. You are better off making fewer better applications than more random, poorly written applications.

It will help if you say what sort of job you want to do.

Try this. Stop thinking about your own position and think each application from the employers point of view only.

Many people are in this position. You will get out of it too

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would disagree with you. I think most employers would rather someone who is motivated enough to not want to sit around the house doing nothing and living off the dole, someone who has proved they can turn up on time every day, be respectful and work hard and someone who isn't so full of themselves that they're going to turn their noses up at the bottom of the pile jobs they might get landed with at first. You can get all that from a basic non grad job in a shop or something. Having experience of A job even if it's not relevant is useful, you can at least show you're capable of being a good employee and get a reference. You can then use your academic record to demonstrate that you can do THIS job well.

You also might want to look at your CV/interview/applications and see if you can spot anywhere you're going wrong. Another option might be trying to get some voluntary experience or a short term placement.
Reply 4
I would say that you have to change what job you are applying for. If you are unemployed, have not worked through uni, do not have contacts and cannot present a CV that gets you an interview, or interview well enough to get a job, what makes you think you are skilled enough right now for a £20K job at a top 100 company?

Sign on with a temp agency. You will learn the basics, get to meet people and if you work hard you might get a permanant role.
Original post by KungPooPanda
Alot of people who have not been fortunate enough to have a job lined up for themselves upon graduation fall into this horrid cycle.

Firstly, I would say that having a job lined up after graduating is not just a matter of luck. Usually those people who have this have worked hard to secure the job and gain experience during their degree. Sometimes there is a degree of luck involved, and unemployment isn't always anyone's fault, but I don't think it helps to think of yourself as being unlucky.

Cant get a job without experience, cant get experience without a job, there are plenty of articles online about the hordes of people (not just students) who fall into this, and what i would like to know from people on here, is how would YOU realistically recommend breaking that?

Volunteering and un-paid work experience can help- at the very least it is better than having nothing at all to put on your CV. It can also be a foot in the door. Most employers prefer employing a known quantity, so if you happen to be in the right place at the right time, doing some unpaid work can easy lead to paid work at the same employer.

I know this isn't an option open to everyone, but it's better than nothing.

Another option can be temping, depending on where you live. Paid work experience of any kind is really important to a lot of employers and even some temp work can show that you're reliable and easy to work with.
I have been told that being unemployed for as little as a month can reduce your chances of employment, recruiters (internal and external) generally prefer to work with people that are already in employment and alot of them wont bother getting back to you once the gap has started to build up

I disagree with this, especially if that one month has come straight after graduating. If you have the right skill set, employers will be interested. If you're already a weaker candidate, not being currently employed may be another thing on a list of downsides. On the other hand, sometimes employers are desperate for someone to start ASAP (especially for some temp roles where, for example, you might be filling in for someone who has left suddenly or there's a sudden increase in workload/demand). Sometimes, if you can start next week, and the other person can't start for a month or more that can help you!

If you are like many jobseekers, you realise that 1 month of being unemployed can very quickly turn to 2/3/4 months, and while you are spending your days trying to be productive with your job search, nothing changes, everything keeps on moving and before long you are 'stuck', by many people's standards your already on your way to being unemployable simply because of how long you haven't worked for, and if your like me, probably got to the point where there are so many jobs you cant even apply for anymore because you've done them all but they are still being advertised.

I agree that the longer you've been unemployed, the harder things get. When it's got to 4 months + you do have to think of changing things- for example, is there another area you could move to where there's more opportunity?

If a job is still being advertised four months down the line, I would consider contacting the person recruiting (ideally via email) to say something like- "I saw you still haven't filled X position, I applied for this position before and I'm still enthusiastic about the job. Here's my CV/covering letter. This is what I've done in the last 4 months to make myself a stronger candidate/better fit". You've got nothing to lose by doing this, especially if you can't find many other jobs to apply for.

Also doing something, even volunteering, means you keep a recent reference and show employers that you're motivated.
So to those that found themselves in this situation and managed to get out of it (obviously by getting a job), or know someone else that was, what did you/they do to help yourselves? When i was job searching i nearly offered myself to a local charity shop, asked them if i could just sit in the back all day doing 'finance' work, as i thought it would be relevent, and even in that situation i was told there was no space for me

The thing is, if you're offering yourself as a volunteer to do something that's not needed (or someone else, perhaps a paid staff member) is doing, you're going to be turned away. Most larger charities advertise their volunteer roles on their website, so look for something that interests you and gives you a chance to increase your skills.

Some people say 'any' experience is relevent and people should do anything they can to keep their CV going, but i very much disagree, and i may be very wrong about this, but i doubt that 3 months working as a voluntary rubbish collector puts you in a better position to get a 20k job at a top 100 company, but as i said, i would love to hear your opinions on what you can 'realistically' do to save yourself from this before it gets too late.

Most employers I know always prefer candidates with paid work experience, even if it's not relevant to the job. It shows the employer you understand work-place norms and how to behave and you can turn up reliably and on time. Unpaid work experience can also be good, especially if it gives you lots of opportunity to network with people who might be able to recommend you for a job in the future.

Equally, if you're long term unemployed and no work experience, aiming for a 20K job at a top 100 company is perhaps a bit unrealistic. I'm not saying you should take any job (and getting any job isn't necessarily easy) but if you're constantly getting rejections, maybe you're aiming too high and you need to reconsider what you're aiming for as a first job.

Comments in bold. Sorry if they sound overly negative- it's kind of hard to give advice without specifics about your experience/qualifications and what exactly you want to do. It may also be there's some issue with your applications/CV which is putting employers off.

The other thing you should be doing if you can is networking- not just asking people if they know of any jobs you could apply for, but asking if they've got any contacts who could help you, or what they did to get the job they have. Also, make sure everyone you know knows you're looking for work and what kind of work, just in case they can help you get a foot in the door.
I would love some advice here too, as I am in the same position and going mad 😭

The problem is, I actually have paid work experience, lost my job almost 2 months ago.
I volunteering experience, work experience whilst at uni in customer service roles and office roles.
I've been to CV workshops to see how to improve my CV just for them to say "oh it's great, I wonder why you haven't heard anything?"

I'm only applying for jobs I have experience in, or take on graduates. I've signed up to recruitment agencies who say "I think you'll be really great for this role"
Never to hear back!

I'm going mad! I've been on the hunt for about a month now, and honestly I'm at wits end to why I'm still unemployed!
I've had a few interviews ect, but nothing in comparison to how many I've applied for! 😭😭😭

I think I'm in this loop too!!
Original post by HFBS
I would say that you have to change what job you are applying for. If you are unemployed, have not worked through uni, do not have contacts and cannot present a CV that gets you an interview, or interview well enough to get a job, what makes you think you are skilled enough right now for a £20K job at a top 100 company?

Sign on with a temp agency. You will learn the basics, get to meet people and if you work hard you might get a permanant role.

Even with recruitment agencies there aren't any guarantees. Many even require candidates to have previous experience in the field especially office administration positions.
Saying from personal experience working with temp agencies, they are hard to get into. I got lucky though, considering I didn't have any previous experience but my god did it really help me get interviews! But it does really depends who their clients are and what they can offer to potential candidates. With my first temp job they didn't require previous experience and I have never looked back since then.
Also once you do get experience at temp jobs with an agencies, you get the odd call from other agencies who think they can get you a permanent job, but again there aren't any guarantees.
Original post by mcgreevy1993
I would love some advice here too, as I am in the same position and going mad 😭

The problem is, I actually have paid work experience, lost my job almost 2 months ago.
I volunteering experience, work experience whilst at uni in customer service roles and office roles.
I've been to CV workshops to see how to improve my CV just for them to say "oh it's great, I wonder why you haven't heard anything?"

I'm only applying for jobs I have experience in, or take on graduates. I've signed up to recruitment agencies who say "I think you'll be really great for this role"
Never to hear back!

I'm going mad! I've been on the hunt for about a month now, and honestly I'm at wits end to why I'm still unemployed!
I've had a few interviews ect, but nothing in comparison to how many I've applied for! 😭😭😭

I think I'm in this loop too!!

Have you had post interview feedback?
Original post by jelly1000
Have you had post interview feedback?

Still waiting to hear if i got the job :frown:
Original post by mcgreevy1993
Still waiting to hear if i got the job :frown:

Well fingers crossed! I'm a graduate looking for my first job and I've found interview feedback immensely helpful - they've always addressed exactly which questions I didn't answer well enough. I'm suprised you aren't getting more interviews though, have you had the rest of your applications looked over?
Reply 11
I became self employed. I was on sickness benefit for ages and as soon as I went on jobseekers I went on the enterprise allowance and started my own business based around selling merchandise with my art work on it. I'm currently selling T Shirts and will be expanding into other merchandise and starting a website soon.
Must the work experience be paid? There are plenty of valuable internships which are unpaid and have helped hugely for a lot of people (esp. when it's relevant)
Well fingers crossed! I'm a graduate looking for my first job and I've found interview feedback immensely helpful - they've always addressed exactly which questions I didn't answer well enough. I'm suprised you aren't getting more interviews though, have you had the rest of your applications looked over?

You graduated the same year as me and never found a job since?
Original post by Boreism
You graduated the same year as me and never found a job since?

What year did you graduate? I graduated from my undergraduate degree in 2014 but I went onto a masters straight after so I've 'only' been looking for work since September 2015. I've had a few interviews but I've struggled with them, hence still being jobless.
What year did you graduate? I graduated from my undergraduate degree in 2014 but I went onto a masters straight after so I've 'only' been looking for work since September 2015. I've had a few interviews but I've struggled with them, hence still being jobless.

I graduated in 2014 too. But went straight into full time employment, on temporary contracts (yes, i'm still experimenting jobs) and just haven't found my 'ideal' job yet.
Original post by Boreism
I graduated in 2014 too. But went straight into full time employment, on temporary contracts (yes, i'm still experimenting jobs) and just haven't found my 'ideal' job yet.

Hope you do soon, at least you have a good CV's worth of experience now.
Hope you do soon, at least you have a good CV's worth of experience now.

I think in my situation its down to luck (there is such thing after all!) :biggrin:

Thank you and I hope you find a job soon too. Don't give up on hope! :smile:
Original post by Boreism
I think in my situation its down to luck (there is such thing after all!) :biggrin:

Thank you and I hope you find a job soon too. Don't give up on hope! :smile:

Thank you, I was so close in my last interview so fingers crossed next time I'll get one step further.

I thought masters were supposed to help you be more employable :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending