The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Euclidean
What part of trigonometry are you struggling with?

If it's spotting the identities then you're going to want to go over them again and do a lot of problems involving them (if you get bored try some trig. integrals)

If it's just general solving, perhaps review what the sine, cosine and tangent formulae do so that you have a better understanding of exactly what you're doing when evaluating

Yeah, identities and not making stupid mistakes when solving trig equations (i.e. remembering when values are negative/positive, forgetting about domains etc). I'll just have to work a bit harder at trig questions I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile

tan(x53)=cot(x+35)\tan(x-53)=\cot(x+35) where 0x3600\leq x \leq360

Isn't that elementary? :s-smilie:

tan(π2x)=cotx\tan \left(\frac{\pi}{2} - x\right) = \cot x so cot(x+35)=tan(55x)\cot (x + 35^{\circ}) = \tan (55^{\circ} - x), hence your equation is nothing but:

tan(x53)=tan(55x)\tan (x - 53^{\circ}) = \tan (55^{\circ} - x) whereupon a standard comparing of arguments and adding π\pi because periodicity gets you your solutions? Seems too easy for C3 trig, no?
What part of trigonometry are you struggling with?

If it's spotting the identities then you're going to want to go over them again and do a lot of problems involving them (if you get bored try some trig. integrals)

If it's just general solving, perhaps review what the sine, cosine and tangent formulae do so that you have a better understanding of exactly what you're doing when evaluating

edit: There was a good trig problem posted by @13 1 20 8 42 somewhere I believe, it ran something like this:

tan(x53)=cot(x+35)\tan(x-53)=\cot(x+35) where 0x3600\leq x \leq360

I think I remember solving that, but not posting it..oh well, I have a terrible memory lol
Original post by Zacken

tan(π2x)=cotx\tan \left(\frac{\pi}{2} - x\right) = \cot x so cot(x+35)=tan(55x)\cot (x + 35^{\circ}) = \tan (55^{\circ} - x), hence your equation is nothing but:

tan(x53)=tan(55x)\tan (x - 53^{\circ}) = \tan (55^{\circ} - x) whereupon a standard comparing of arguments and adding π\pi because periodicity gets you your solutions? Seems too easy for C3 trig, no?

Seems about the level of C3 trig tbh, not like C3 trig is particularly difficult
Isn't cot introduced at C3...I'd say otherwise it is more C2 style I guess.
The first identity used there is one I doubt everyone will automatically know doing C3 also.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Seems about the level of C3 trig tbh, not like C3 trig is particularly difficult
Isn't cot introduced at C3...I'd say otherwise it is more C2 style I guess.
The first identity used there is one I doubt everyone will automatically know doing C3 also.

Guess maybe I've been doing too much STEP! :lol: Cool proof for anybody (else, obviously not you :tongue: ) reading this:

tanx=sinxcosx=cos(π2x)sin(π2x)=cot(π2x)\displaystyle \tan x = \frac{\sin x}{\cos x} = \frac{\cos \left(\frac{\pi}{2} - x\right)}{\sin \left(\frac{\pi}{2} - x\right)} = \cot \left(\frac{\pi}{2} -x\right)
Original post by Zacken

Depends entirely on your target audience

Original post by Zacken

I just realised that the initial problem was posed along the lines of 'by using tan(x)=sin(x)cos(x)\tan(x)=\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)} only...' which I had forgotten about, this leads to a more interesting exercise I suppose

Fair enough. I love finding shortcuts that turn 8 mark A-Level questions into a 2 lined answer that gets the examiner ripping out their hair. :lol:
Original post by Zacken
Fair enough. I love finding shortcuts that turn 8 mark A-Level questions into a 2 lined answer that gets the examiner ripping out their hair. :lol:

I always find myself doing that and then trying to write more steps into my working afterwards to make it look like I'm deserving of all the marks :lol:
Original post by Princepieman
Yeah, identities and not making stupid mistakes when solving trig equations (i.e. remembering when values are negative/positive, forgetting about domains etc). I'll just have to work a bit harder at trig questions I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just keep doing all the past papers you can possibly find
If you have seen the associated STEP question (I think that is where I recalled this idea from anyway..), this will be too easy..but otherwise a nice test of your "feel" for trig derivatives/integrals. Think the hint was given in the STEP question, but it makes things a bit trivial so it can be optional..

Find cosxcosx+sinxdx\displaystyle \int\frac{cosx}{cosx+sinx}dx
Hint:

Spoiler

If you have seen the associated STEP question (I think that is where I recalled this idea from anyway..), this will be too easy..but otherwise a nice test of your "feel" for trig derivatives/integrals. Think the hint was given in the STEP question, but it makes things a bit trivial so it can be optional..

Hint:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hint:

Spoiler

I posted this a few days ago, if you want - another way of doing it is:

Spoiler

This is a favourite of mine:

11dxx2\displaystyle \int_{-1}^{1} \frac{\mathrm{d}x}{x^2}
Original post by Zacken

Oooh ln x^2!!!!
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Oooh ln x^2!!!!

omg yas!!! genius
Original post by Zacken
omg yas!!! genius

No but seriously your clever addition of zeroes is genius. I'm just wondering how the heck you spot it
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
No but seriously your clever addition of zeroes is genius. I'm just wondering how the heck you spot it

So do I, most of the time! Now seriously, give my integral I posted a go! :biggrin:
Original post by Zacken
I posted this a few days ago, if you want - another way of doing it is:

Spoiler

Oops. :colondollar: Good stuff
Original post by Zacken

I feel like a fool because I tried this, had to ignore some ln(1)\ln(-1) terms (bad maths I know) and got 43\frac{4}{3} only to check on WolframAlpha that the integral doesn't converge...

I got trolled by Zacken :colonhash:

In hindsight I should have known as 0 is an asymptote of the curve but it's late.
I feel like a fool because I tried this, had to ignore some ln(1)\ln(-1) terms (bad maths I know) and got 43\frac{4}{3} only to check on WolframAlpha that the integral doesn't converge...

Fam... x2dx=x1\int x^{-2} \, \mathrm{d}x = -x^{-1}, where'd you get ln\ln from? :tongue:

Edit to add: Remember that when you integrate, you need to put in modulus terms for logarithms, so even if you managed a logarithmic term, you'd have ln1=ln1=0\ln |-1| = \ln 1 = 0 (which isn't bad maths at all, there's a justification for us placing moduli on logarithm arguments, btw, if you're interested)
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending