The Student Room Group

Can I do an engineering degree without physics?

Scroll to see replies

It is possible - but bare in mind that relative to the difficulty of an engineering degree, a level physics is a joke with regards to its difficulty.

Consider biochemical engineering.
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
Well as I told the other person... you can take a gap year and do physics...and no they don't go over the basics, if they do its done in maybe 5 -10 mins in the first class.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If OP truly wants to do engineering. He'll find a way through. As someone else said, A level physics isn't really comparable to the physics in engineering so why waste a gap year taking it?
Original post by alldayniqqa
If OP truly wants to do engineering. He'll find a way through. As someone else said, A level physics isn't really comparable to the physics in engineering so why waste a gap year taking it?

So you can get into a proper uni... get a good job... I think it's worth it.
So you can get into a proper uni... get a good job... I think it's worth it.

Yeah because universities like Nottingham and Manchester aren't good enough. Why take a gap year when what he has got is good enough to get in some of the best universities in the country?
Original post by alldayniqqa
Yeah because universities like Nottingham and Manchester aren't good enough. Why take a gap year when what he has got is good enough to get in some of the best universities in the country?

I don't know what's your definition of best but umm oxbridge rings bells, Imperial, Warwick, Durham etc...

When I hear mediocre I think Manchester, Nottingham....
Reply 25
Original post by GeologyMaths
It is misinformation. As long as you have M1 & M2, most if not all of Manchester's Engineering programs will take you on. Not to talk of other unis

You appear not to understand the word limited.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know what's your definition of best but umm oxbridge rings bells, Imperial, Warwick, Durham etc...

When I hear mediocre I think Manchester, Nottingham....

This is some of the most elitist **** I've ever heard on this forum and at this point I'm pretty sure you don't know what your on about. In terms of an engineering degree, most firms don't even care where it came from so why bother. Nottingham and Manchester are some of the best universities in the country and Sheffield has one of the best engineering departments in the country.

Nottingham and Manchester are pretty much on par with Durham too so you got that wrong.
Original post by GeologyMaths
Elaborate on your statement then

The oil industry is unstable, oil prices are critically low and not predicted to rise until 2018 and not raise to its former prices. It's destroying the planet and worldwide initiatives by governments and private companies are being taken to combat the dependence on oil.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Umm no... they're right. A level physics is VERY easy compared an engineering degree.

It's not a joke by any means because obviously it prepares people to study the degree. But yes it is much below the standard of a degree and there must be a big gap - not denying that
Original post by Student403
It's not a joke by any means because obviously it prepares people to study the degree. But yes it is much below the standard of a degree and there must be a big gap - not denying that

It doesn't really prepare you either...maths does that for you.
It doesn't really prepare you either...maths does that for you.

If you disagree with physics, then I don't see how you can agree with maths. Further maths is the one that will prepare you, if we're talking relative difficulty of A levels. Maths and physics are on a similar level, in my opinion and I think further maths is a decent step forward.
If you disagree with physics, then I don't see how you can agree with maths. Further maths is the one that will prepare you, if we're talking relative difficulty of A levels. Maths and physics are on a similar level, in my opinion and I think further maths is a decent step forward.

Who's doing an engineering degree? You or me? I rest my case...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who's doing an engineering degree? You or me? I rest my case...

Posted from TSR Mobile

And that gives me no knowledge of the content/difficulty of an engineering degree? Because I have read no textbooks/taken no classes?
And that gives me no knowledge of the content/difficulty of an engineering degree? Because I have read no textbooks/taken no classes?

You're saying that you've taken engineering degree classes + write the exams?

This is another case of the know it all syndrome that's prevalent on tsr. If you don't know, shut the hell up.
You're saying that you've taken engineering degree classes + write the exams?

This is another case of the know it all syndrome that's prevalent on tsr. If you don't know, shut the hell up.

When did I say I wrote the exams lol? I have read a textbook and taken classes. Online ones, if you are that disbelieving.

I'm not calling myself an expert - But I am saying I have an idea..
When did I say I wrote the exams lol? I have read a textbook and taken classes. Online ones, if you are that disbelieving.

I'm not calling myself an expert - But I am saying I have an idea..

Yeah because only when you have to study for an exam you get the true feeling of how hard something is, otherwise you were just reading books which doesn't give you a good idea of how it works.

If you go on to do engineering you'll see what I've been saying is true. Physics is basically useless to you (to my surprise when I started) and maths was the most important thing above all.
Reply 36
Original post by High Stakes
I'm going Warwick and I think what you're saying is retarded lol.

Manchester and Nottingham can never be described as mediocre. You got some distorted view of the world.

Nottingham is the most beautiful university in this country IMO
and its russel group at the end of the day so i wouldn't describe it as mediocre at all @ServantOfMorgoth
just cos they have a lower grade requirement doesn't make them mediocre :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MevMev
and its russel group at the end of the day so i wouldn't describe it as mediocre at all @ServantOfMorgoth

40 universities out of like 100+ are in Russel group, surely all 40 can't be the best...
Original post by MevMev

Lol Durham and Warwick don't even come in the Top 100 of THE rankings for Engineering, and yet Manchester's ranked 35
Reply 39
40 universities out of like 100+ are in Russel group, surely all 40 can't be the best...

not saying its the best I'm just saying its not mediocre its still considered good
and i swear its only 24 unis that comprise the russell group correct me if I'm wrong

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending