The Student Room Group

I got caught shoplifting and was fined

Hey, yesterday I was caught shop lifting (i know it was such a stupid thing to do) i have been doing it for a while now but for some reason when i went to shop lift yesterday i had a bad feeling. I went into boots first and stole at least £60 worth of makeup. I came out and everything was fine no one suspected my nothing (btw i had a shopping bag and put everything in there). Then i had went into primark and took alot of things worth £25. As i was coming out there was security outside waiting for me and he had said 'can you come with me' at the moment i just froze. And he was leadig me the way to the detention room and as he was doing the another securty guard was speaking so loudly and everyone was looking. It was so embarrasing. In the room they had told me to empty out my bag. They had found items from boots aswell and i admitted to taking them. The police came and said i wont be arrested but i will be banned and fined. They took a photo copy of my college student id and i have wrote my real address as i panicked thinkin i will be taken to jail anyways and they guys who caught me said i will be taken to the station. . He took me to boots for me to say sorry and then he let me go. While i was there i was told i will be facing a fine worth £300 or more. I am only 16 i dont have that sort of money. I have also read to ignore the letters and nothing will happenq. However the guy also mentioned if i ignore the fine letter bailiffs will be coming to my house and then an action will be taken for me to go court is this true?. Im really scared. Can someone please tell me what to do i know i did wrong and i have learnt my lesson and i will certainly not do shop lifting ever again. And i do not plan on telling my parents as they have alot of problems themselve in paying the bills. Btw i didn not get a crimal record or anything like that.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
oh no ...
Original post by Shahnill
Hey, yesterday I was caught shop lifting (i know it was such a stupid thing to do) i have been doing it for a while now but for some reason when i went to shop lift yesterday i had a bad feeling. I went into boots first and stole at least £60 worth of makeup. I came out and everything was fine no one suspected my nothing (btw i had a shopping bag and put everything in there). Then i had went into primark and took alot of things worth £25. As i was coming out there was security outside waiting for me and he had said 'can you come with me' at the moment i just froze. And he was leadig me the way to the detention room and as he was doing the another securty guard was speaking so loudly and everyone was looking. It was so embarrasing. In the room they had told me to empty out my bag. They had found items from boots aswell and i admitted to taking them. The police came and said i wont be arrested but i will be banned and fined. They took a photo copy of my college student id and i have wrote my real address as i panicked thinkin i will be taken to jail anyways and they guys who caught me said i will be taken to the station. . He took me to boots for me to say sorry and then he let me go. While i was there i was told i will be facing a fine worth £300 or more. I am only 16 i dont have that sort of money. I have also read to ignore the letters. However the guy also mentioned if i ignore the fine letter bailiffs will be coming to my house and then an action will be taken for me to go court ect. Im really scared. Can someone please tell me what to do i know i did wrong and i have learnt my lesson and i will certainly not do shop lifting ever again.

So, I'm guessing you haven't told your parents and you don't intend to?

Two Options:

Find a way to make money fast

or

Tell your parents
Tell your parents, pay the fine. Your fault.
Hey, yesterday I was caught shop lifting (i know it was such a stupid thing to do) i have been doing it for a while now but for some reason when i went to shop lift yesterday i had a bad feeling. I went into boots first and stole at least £60 worth of makeup. I came out and everything was fine no one suspected my nothing (btw i had a shopping bag and put everything in there). Then i had went into primark and took alot of things worth £25. As i was coming out there was security outside waiting for me and he had said 'can you come with me' at the moment i just froze. And he was leadig me the way to the detention room and as he was doing the another securty guard was speaking so loudly and everyone was looking. It was so embarrasing. In the room they had told me to empty out my bag. They had found items from boots aswell and i admitted to taking them. The police came and said i wont be arrested but i will be banned and fined. They took a photo copy of my college student id and i have wrote my real address as i panicked thinkin i will be taken to jail anyways and they guys who caught me said i will be taken to the station. . He took me to boots for me to say sorry and then he let me go. While i was there i was told i will be facing a fine worth £300 or more. I am only 16 i dont have that sort of money. I have also read to ignore the letters. However the guy also mentioned if i ignore the fine letter bailiffs will be coming to my house and then an action will be taken for me to go court ect. Im really scared. Can someone please tell me what to do i know i did wrong and i have learnt my lesson and i will certainly not do shop lifting ever again.

:facepalm: I hope your fine is more than £300 tbh, £1300 sounds better i think
Reply 5
Silly

You get any money? Savings? Pocketmoney? Do they allow monthly installments? If so agree that. Or tell your parents and face the consequences!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
set up a patreon
Hi there Shahn. Sorry to hear about your situation. Everyone makes mistakes and it's definitely a good lesson to get whilst you're young!

I would ring them up and ask if you can pay in brackets of £30, they will most likely let you and not expect the 300 quid in one go.

Best of luck.

SS
Original post by The Diplomat.
set up a patreon

This one got me, very well done :lol:
Come clean. Tell your parents.

I think you need to address WHY you were shoplifting in the first place. Are you short of money? Is it an attention thing? You need to understand why you're doing it so you can explain to your parents. If you've never been arrested before then they should treat you with a bit of leniency. I hope you learn something from this incident.
Original post by Sparster
You are a prick. You deserve the punishment. Accept it and tell your parents. Do not ignore the letters or you will get into even more trouble. Through being selfish, you have cost businesses money in the hundreds and should pay the penalty. Never do it again. I hope you learn your lesson.

Yes, like they'd even ****ing notice. It's pennies

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
y dafook wud u do dat doe
May I ask what your reasons for doing this were?

Sure, stealing from a larger company doesn't harm them as such, but it ultimately pushes up prices for everyone else. It sounds like you may have stolen many hundreds in total, so this penalty fine is really letting you off cheaply. If you get caught again it would be really serious.
Reply 13
Ever heard of a part time job? :rolleyes:
The fine is nothing, the fact this will probably be disclosed on even a basic DBS check will ruin your life.

For primark make-up as well
Road.
Hey, yesterday I was caught shop lifting (i know it was such a stupid thing to do) i have been doing it for a while now but for some reason when i went to shop lift yesterday i had a bad feeling. I went into boots first and stole at least £60 worth of makeup. I came out and everything was fine no one suspected my nothing (btw i had a shopping bag and put everything in there). Then i had went into primark and took alot of things worth £25. As i was coming out there was security outside waiting for me and he had said 'can you come with me' at the moment i just froze. And he was leadig me the way to the detention room and as he was doing the another securty guard was speaking so loudly and everyone was looking. It was so embarrasing. In the room they had told me to empty out my bag. They had found items from boots aswell and i admitted to taking them. The police came and said i wont be arrested but i will be banned and fined. They took a photo copy of my college student id and i have wrote my real address as i panicked thinkin i will be taken to jail anyways and they guys who caught me said i will be taken to the station. . He took me to boots for me to say sorry and then he let me go. While i was there i was told i will be facing a fine worth £300 or more. I am only 16 i dont have that sort of money. I have also read to ignore the letters. However the guy also mentioned if i ignore the fine letter bailiffs will be coming to my house and then an action will be taken for me to go court is this true?. Im really scared. Can someone please tell me what to do i know i did wrong and i have learnt my lesson and i will certainly not do shop lifting ever again. And i do not plan on telling my parents as they have alot of problems themselve in paying the bills.

That was a bit daft, wasn't it?

I would advise that you have to tell your parents or else your situation will increasingly get worse; I'm sure they would rather pay a fine of £300 than a fine of £3000. Ask them if you can pay it back to them in instalments and in the meantime work on getting part time work so that you can a) pay them back and b) buy stuff instead of stealing
(edited 8 years ago)
Hopefully you get jailed.
Reply 18
They are talking rubbish, only a court can impose a fine and you have to be charged and found guilty first before any fine can be imposed. Get advice from a law centre or citizens' advice centre. They are free.
Shush, let's just pretend and say that OP can ignore it, so then they would end up with a criminal record and a bigger sum to pay. People that say "everyone makes mistakes" are annoying as hell, have you heard of being a responsible and honest citizen? It is honestly isn't so difficult, you just don't commit crime, cannot be simpler than that!

Latest

Trending

Trending