The Student Room Group

Lara Logan decides to speak about her attack in Tahrir Square

Journalist Lara Logan finally speaks out about her harrowing ordeal on the first night of the Arab Spring 'celebrations' in Tahrir Square in 2011. She was very lucky to escape alive from the mob that attacked her. There were numerous similar attacks on women during the celebrations. Women in Cairo do not tend to speak out about sexual assaults. If they did, they would likely be blamed for it! Such is the embedded cultural logic in Egypt regarding rape. 5 years later we would see similar callous attacks on women in Cologne and other German cities.

Scroll to see replies

She is a victim of everyday, typical arab culture
Original post by EccentricDiamond

:confused: I cannot fathom your stupidity
Original post by queen-bee

Says the person lucky enough not to have to live in the Arab world. You live nice and safe in the western world, you insult your arab sisters who have to face sexual assaults and molestation daily.

You should be a shamed of yourself
Says the person lucky enough not to have to live in the Arab world. You live nice and safe in the western world, you insult your arab sisters who have to face sexual assaults and molestation daily.

What the?

moron
Reply 6

I've been to Arabic countries a lot of times, and no this isn't true. Like the worst abuse I got was for my race by some silly kids, not my gender. I wore skirts but hey I was a kid at the time... Last time I went was Morocco and the people/men were really hospitable and generous and not at all pervy. I'm going Saudi Arabia next month and I only expect similar good treatment.
Reply 7
What the?

It’s a very taboo subject in Arabic culture. Fiercely guarded and it’s the women who keep suffering in silence. Thanks to a handful of brave Arabic feminist writers the topic is gaining more awareness.
Original post by MJlover
I've been to Arabic countries a lot of times, and no this isn't true. Like the worst abuse I got was for my race by some silly kids, not my gender. I wore skirts but hey I was a kid at the time... Last time I went was Morocco and the people/men were really hospitable and generous and not at all pervy. I'm going Saudi Arabia next month and I only expect similar good treatment.

You're not white.
Original post by kunta ola kinte

piss off you stupid anti-Arab racist

What the?

You never actually respond to any arguments. Posting one liners doesn't make you win.
You never actually respond to any arguments. Posting one liners doesn't make you win.

Racist trolls don't deserve my energy
You're not white.

so ? My sister, for what its worth is an attractive lady and she did get more flirtatious behavior from men but no harassment.
Reply 14
Original post by MJlover

So are you saying that Arabic culture doesn’t have a problem with regard to rape and how men regard women, that needs addressing? Do you think these vicious mob rapes didn’t happen? Do you think the rape game Taharrush is a fallacious media construct of disingenuous intent?
Reply 16
Original post by Marco1
So are you saying that Arabic culture doesn’t have a problem with regard to rape and how men regard women, that needs addressing? Do you think these vicious mob rapes didn’t happen? Do you think the rape game Taharrush is a fallacious media construct of disingenuous intent?

Shh, Arab countries are a paradise for women. They are respected as equal to men, especially when they wear skirts after 6pm.
Piss off you stupid anti-arab racist

hmm
Original post by Josb
Shh, Arab countries are a paradise for women. They are respected as equal to men, especially when they wear skirts after 6pm.

I don't remember ever being raped in the Middle East ... Perhaps you can englighten me. I'm not denying that rapes occur but what people are saying on here comes across as racist
Reply 19
Piss off you stupid anti-arab racist

Are you mad? He posted relevant research studies which you should be interested in if you weren't so afraid to have your assumptions challenged. If you want to get abusive please get off my thread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending