The Student Room Group

Chemistry - Born Haber Cycles

Scroll to see replies

Yoo
Anyone who wants to be part of a chemistry revision whatsapp GC either pm me or respond to this message

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
t
OP
Original post by RME11
Struggling to make sense of what your asking as you haven't specified whether its LE. Form. or Dissoc. Assuming you are talking about LE. Form, to make CaCl3; Ca must be 3+ - the energy required to put in to achieve the third ionization energy for Ca is so large it will make the LE.Form more exothermic. If you draw out the B-H cycle it will make more sense as you can see more steps are required to form the CaCl3. The lattice dissociation enthalpy however will be more endothermic for the same reason (More steps in the cycle). CaCl3 is more stable as the energy released from the formation is greater than the energy released from the formation of CaCl3, the more energy we have to absorb to make formation happen the less stable it will be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM2JubP3agE

^ Can't remember at what point during the video, but E.Rintoul does explain exo/endothermic properties of ionic compounds and their stability very well.

Btw I forgot to mention thanks like so much for this video link. Even though I'm doing Edexcel AS this guy really does explain it very well! :smile: P.S: I actually watched the whole thing lol! :biggrin:
Reply 22
t
OP
Original post by Dr Cobbold
Yoo
Anyone who wants to be part of a chemistry revision whatsapp GC either pm me or respond to this message

Posted from TSR Mobile

YUSS... I would love to and would seriously need too as well because my Chemistry teacher is so crap! :s-smilie:
[QUOTE=I
Sweet check your private message

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest